News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[In a Land Called] Now with Flow Chart!

Started by timfire, September 13, 2005, 07:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timfire

Hi y'all,

A couple days ago, I was sitting really bored in the middle of my computer Assembly language class, when I was reminded of Gareth (contracycle) saying how he wanted to see different games expressed as flow charts. So I decided to try it out with my game-in-development "In a Land Called". (If you didn't read my other thread, you can check out my preliminary PDF [here].)

I found it mildly helpful. It was helpful in that it forced me to really think about how all the pieces of my game fit together, but it didn't really alter my perception of the game or really help me to piece elements together.

Anyway, you can check it out [here]. I've also done a little more thinking and came up with some ideas for gaining new Connections, how Setting creation works, and how building up to a Moment of Transformation works (along with some other minor tweaks).

The game is still very pre-alpha, but I'm slowly filling in all the holes.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

David Bapst

Tim-
Yup! Flowcharts are great, especially for figuring out reward systems, or any other system based on some sort of resource, and how they all work in conjunction.

I've had alot of fun with them, working out several systems using graphical analysis. It's my favorite design technique next to actual playtesting (obviously flow diagrams are too idealistic to accurately simulate real play, but I have noticed that if there's a problem with the system in play, flow charts help in locating these problems).
-Dave

Eric Bennett

Tim, when you get this finished, I'm going to have to try running it with my group. Between this and your dials, I think you have a big part of the basic breaktown of the usual things that wind up as variables in a CRPG. Fun fun...
http://mythos.pbwiki.com
Check out the developing draft of Mythos, the game of horrific discovery here!

Yeleth

What do people think of adventure flowcharts? e.g. as used in the 1986 FASA scenario for their Dr Who game "The Warriors Code". Are they: (1) too restrictive?, (2) useful - but only as a guideline - not to be adhered to too strongly, (3) useless or (4) actually harmful?

I wrote out a network diagram for CoC Masks of Nyarlathotep (a campaign). I didn't find it particulary useful when running the game but it was as a framework for developing my own campaign (not the actual diagram but the form which the diagram took).

MisterPoppet

I like to use them as guidelines. It gives me a general idea of what's happening or something works. And I normally stick to them, however I find that I have to deviate from them every once in a while to maintain character integrity and storyline.

-Bryan-

timfire

Hi Guys,

Using flow charts in an adventure would be a great discussion, but not here in Indie Design. Why don't you try starting up a thread in Actual Play? I'm sure people would love to hear about your experiences, both good and bad.

MisterPoppet

Actually, I have a question about your flow chart. What exactly is passing between the players at the dotted line?

-Bryan-

timfire

Quote from: MisterPoppet on September 17, 2005, 12:26:14 PM
Actually, I have a question about your flow chart. What exactly is passing between the players at the dotted line?

Hi Bryan,

The idea is that if *I* invoke a Connection, *I* incur Debt. But then, *you* take that Debt & narrate a Bang/complication whatever for me. When you do that, *you* get to spend that Debt on buying/upgrading new Connections.

So I guess you could say that Debt gets passed, except when it does, the Debt gets converted into a new Connection. Following me? If *I* don't incurr Debt, *you* don't get to buy/upgrade new Connections.

MisterPoppet

Ok, so when I take that debt, incur a Bang/complication, and I use that debt for my own connections; does someone else take that debt and incur Bang/complications or do I just spend it with no side effects?

-Bryan-