News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer's Skull

Started by Lisa Padol, October 16, 2005, 02:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Padol

I picked up a copy of The Sorcerer's Skull on Ron's recommendation. It's basically what he said it was, decent pulp, from the day when you could get a novel in under 200 pages that had lots of action and plot twists, and a satisfying ending. Not Great Literature, but at least a cut above what I'd have expected.

Thing is, I've read it now. And shelf space is at a premium. Anyone out there want me to send it on to you? It's in readable condition -- cover's detatched from the book, which is in two pieces, i.e., spine broke around the middle while I was reading it. If I'm sending it somewhere in the USA, no charge. If I'm sending it outside, I'll ask for reimbursement of postage.

Also, I've got the Kane books and am slowly working my way through them (i.e., read one, read a bunch of other things). Not yet ready to part with these, but if there's someone who's going to want them at some point, let me know.

-Lisa

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

This is the David Mason book, right? Not the Andrew J. Offut?

If so, then let's chat about it. One thing I really liked was that both Owen and Khitai were sorcerers, by the concepts of my game, whereas the gypsy girlfriend was not ... and yet of the three, in the fictional context, she was the most "magical" one.

I did like the action sequences, quite a bit, starting with the Hound-thing pursuing the characters at the beginning. To think in role-playing terms for the moment, one thing the book really relies on, though, is Owen's basic Humanity. Which in this case might be thought of as "Irish roguish decency," I suppose. It really is the linchpin of his final triumph in the story.

Best,
Ron

Lisa Padol

Quote from: Ron Edwards on October 16, 2005, 08:09:04 PMThis is the David Mason book, right? Not the Andrew J. Offut?

Yep.

QuoteIf so, then let's chat about it. One thing I really liked was that both Owen and Khitai were sorcerers, by the concepts of my game, whereas the gypsy girlfriend was not ... and yet of the three, in the fictional context, she was the most "magical" one.

Huh. Hadn't thought of that. The Rom is what I think of as a hedge wizard. She's got the sight, sometimes, in small ways, and she can brew potions. But, that's a far cry from being a sorcerer.

Khitai clearly has a relationship with some kind of spirit, and gets it to raise fog and send a pillar of fire. Yep, sounds like a sorcerer.

Not quite clear on how Owen's a sorcerer, though he's clearly the one making the hard Humanity choices.

QuoteI did like the action sequences, quite a bit, starting with the Hound-thing pursuing the characters at the beginning. To think in role-playing terms for the moment, one thing the book really relies on, though, is Owen's basic Humanity. Which in this case might be thought of as "Irish roguish decency," I suppose. It really is the linchpin of his final triumph in the story.

Welsh, actually, I think.

One thing I liked was a refreshing lack of stupid banter. There was plenty of non-stupid banter, which is just fine.

-Lisa

Lisa Padol

Okay, I got a taker from Massachusetts, so I'll be sending the book on.

-Lisa

Ron Edwards

Guh! Right, Welsh. Stupid me on that one.

As for Owen being a sorcerer, check out his back-story with the ghafta-plant, and his descent into demon-ness as a proto-Vrykol. We're talking about a really strong Lore score, I think. In fact, he was the model I had in mind when I included "Brush with the Unknown" as a Lore descriptor in Sorcerer & Sword.

Best,
Ron

James_Nostack

Hi Lisa -- I'd be interested in taking a look at the Kane stuff, let me know about postage.

On a related note-- if anyone wants to part with the Jessica Salmonson Tomoe Goezen books, or the Saunders books on mythical Africa, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
--Stack

Lisa Padol

Quote from: Ron Edwards on October 17, 2005, 04:46:15 PMAs for Owen being a sorcerer, check out his back-story with the ghafta-plant, and his descent into demon-ness as a proto-Vrykol. We're talking about a really strong Lore score, I think. In fact, he was the model I had in mind when I included "Brush with the Unknown" as a Lore descriptor in Sorcerer & Sword.

Okay, yes, I see. Interestingly, the actual Humanity checks don't involve Vrykol-ness, do they? They all come when he's making a deliberate moral decision, not when he's in the throes of a vision.

-Lisa