News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Confused about tSoY

Started by dunlaing, November 21, 2005, 05:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunlaing

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I wanted to get The Shadow of Yesterday. Let us also say that I actually sort of prefer pdfs to hard copies.

What should I do to get tSoY? I know I can get the creative commons text of the rules and I can access the "first edition" of the world of Near from the website. Assuming I downloaded both of those things, would I have everything (barring art) that I would get with a hard copy purchase? Or is there some text that is not included in those things (like revised setting information for the world of Near, for example).

Thanks

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: dunlaing on November 21, 2005, 05:38:39 PM
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I wanted to get The Shadow of Yesterday. Let us also say that I actually sort of prefer pdfs to hard copies.

What should I do to get tSoY? I know I can get the creative commons text of the rules and I can access the "first edition" of the world of Near from the website. Assuming I downloaded both of those things, would I have everything (barring art) that I would get with a hard copy purchase? Or is there some text that is not included in those things (like revised setting information for the world of Near, for example).

Thanks

There's some Keys and rules that had to be re-written for the new version in the setting stuff, but it's super-duper minimal.

Hey! A conversion chart. Unskilled = 0-1; Competent = 2 - 4; Adept = 5 - 7; Master = 8 - 9; Grand Master = 10.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Roger

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on November 21, 2005, 06:37:42 PM
Hey! A conversion chart. Unskilled = 0-1; Competent = 2 - 4; Adept = 5 - 7; Master = 8 - 9; Grand Master = 10.

Sorry to be (continually) obtuse, but I'm not sure I understand that chart.  The chart that I had imagined was:

Unskilled = 0
Competent = 1
Adept = 2;
Master = 3;
Grand Master = 4.

The ability check is the ability rank plus (-3 to +3), yes?  The chart that I've described seems to support the statements "As a Master, it takes a freak chance for you to fail" and "Grand Masters literally cannot ever fail".  Ranking a Master at 8 or 9 seems to contradict them.

Thanks, Clinton, for updating the CC (even more) revised version!  Thy karmic cup overfloweth.

Cheers,
Roger

Clinton R. Nixon

Roger,

What you wrote is the TSOY2 resolution system, pretty much.

What I wrote was a conversion chart between TSOY1 and TSOY2, which is what this thread needed. I quote myself:

There's some Keys and rules that had to be re-written for the new version in the setting stuff, but it's super-duper minimal.

As in, I just converted everything from the old version to the new version for dunlaing.

Seriously, everything is cool! No apologies, please, and don't get upset for me letting you know my slight irritation. We are all made of stars.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Roger

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on November 22, 2005, 11:19:26 AM
Seriously, everything is cool!  We are all made of stars.

Good to hear.  And, ummm... good morning, Starshine; the Earth says hello.

Anyway.

I will mention that the chart I posted doesn't actually exist anywhere in the CC revised rules.  I'm glad I got it right, but it was mostly just a guess on my part.

Cheers,
Roger

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Roger on November 22, 2005, 11:32:06 AM
I will mention that the chart I posted doesn't actually exist anywhere in the CC revised rules.  I'm glad I got it right, but it was mostly just a guess on my part.

It's on the character sheet.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Roger

Ah, yes, so it is.  Thanks for your prompt response.

Cheers,
Roger