News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Small Cons, Small Press

Started by Luke, December 05, 2005, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

I like small cons. In fact, I decided that for this con season, I was going to focus on hitting up a lot of small cons for the Saturday slot in an effort to till new ground.

So far, since GenCon, I've been to Southern Exposure in NJ, MACE in NC and Anonycon in Connecticut.

I signed up to run my standard 14-hour slot of games for Southern Exposure. 10 am to Midnight. Demos in the morning, full games in the afternoon and evening. I've run slots like this at most local area cons for the past few years. In order to get to SE, I had to travel about 90 miles. They unkindly moved the schedule up at the last minute, so I had to be there at 9 am instead of 10. Lovely.

I had one player for my morning slot. 8 players for my afternoon slot and zero for my evening slot. I called it a day and went home early.

I was treated like a regular GM there. Though the organizers did refund my friend/ride/assistant his admission after I pressured them.

The attendace for SE looked thin. The con was spread out across a ridiculously broad hotel -- you had to either cross a courtyard or go around the looong way to get from the dealer's room to the rpg room.

At MACE, I ran a similar suite of games -- demos early in the day, an afternoon game and an evening game. I had about sixteen players across three games. One demo slot was a bust with no players.

I flew 600 miles to get to MACE. My family lives in the area, so it's no big deal. But still, I traveled far to get there. The general con staff was, as is typical, pretty clueless. The organizer for MACE, Ron McClung, is excellent. He treated me like a guest -- like he was glad to see me. Even better, the organization at MACE is the best I've seen for small cons. Badges are laminated with your schedule printed right on the back!

The geography of MACE is also excellent. It takes place crammed together, in one wing of the hotel. All the event rooms are off of the same central hallway. It feels busy and alive as the various stripes of gamers amble from game to game.

The unfortunately named Anonycon was this past weekend. I was invited -- no, pestered -- to be a "Guest." Capital-G guests run panels. I like running panels. I agreed on the condition that the con organizer promote the events. He told me that they only had about 200 people in attendance. No problem, I said. Hell, I'll even see if Jared can come.

When Jared (Thor and Dro) and I arrived, the organizers for Anonycon were attentive and, much to my suprise, apparently apologetic. I learned that no promotion had been done. No one attended our events -- two panels in the morning and early afternoon. Even better, our panels had been scheduled against another gaming panel run by a comic artist. Admittedly, I asked not to be on the panel with the comic artist. Perhaps that was the mistake. But it seemed more likely that scheduling us against another panel and not doing any promotion was a bigger mistake.

The organization of Anonycon seemed pretty low. Staff members whom I asked for information didn't even know what slot we were in according to the con schedule.
The geography was also bizarre. Nominally, it all took place on one level, but it was in a wide open atrium, with rooms and tables strewn about -- and a pool to one side.

MACE was a decent con -- more fun because I had lots of friends there. Anonycon and Southern Exposure were embarrassing. Not for me, for them.

Why do I lay it out like that? Because I go to a lot of cons and I grow weary of the bullshit.[/i]

My point to small con organizers who come round here hunting for designers to run games at their cons: Support us. We are a feature, not a bug. Small press game designers can bring a lot of love and fun to your events, but we need support to do so effectively.

My bullet points for small cons supporting small press:
Assign us a handler and give us clear instructions. Imagine, if you will, that we do a lot of cons. They all start to blur together. Once we are at the con, tell us where, when and what we need to do. The handler doesn't need to sit with us for every minute. They are free to check in with us during our slot changes or whatever. Best case scenario is to assign a handler who wants to learn about the games and who's job it is to make sure that we are happy.

No bullshit about filling out game sheets, turning in tickets or other crap that regular GMs do. I NEVER do this stuff. I put the tickets in my pockets and then forget about them and throw them away when I get home. You know why, because I'm too busy running games. If this is important to you, have the handler do it. I'm not doing it any more. I'm literally going to take any sheets or tickets and throw them away in front of you.

Bring us water or gatorade. One thing that Vinney and the Dexcon crew do really well is accomodate the GMs and Designers with commestibles. If you see us working hard for you, help us out with some water or whatever. Again, handlers are great for this type of thing.

Free badges: No questions asked. That includes badges for my crew. (Crew being volunteers who voluntarily volunteer their free time to come and make your con for which you are charging fees a more fun experience.) When I arrive at registration, I will say my name, and the names of my compatriots and we will be handed badges. We will not fill out forms with our names and addresses or anything else.

• Promotions: add our strengths to your con promotions. If you don't know how to promote a certain designer, you probably shouldn't be inviting him/her to your con. But in the event you need help with promotions materials, buzz words or bios, I'm sure any small press game designer would be happy to help. Put us -- and what we do -- in the program, website and printed matter. Right up front. Make sure there are players/participants for our events. Do not invite us and then leave us in the cold. We won't come back.

Location, location, location. Ask us what we need in regard to table space and location. Some games run better in a regular gaming room, some games run better in the hallway, roping in passerby. We don't know the layout of your hotel, but we know what we need. Help us maximize our exposure.

Travel, Meals and Accomodations. This one is optional, but if you can assist with travel (a ride from the airport, reimbursement for taxis or gas), meals (be sure to ask what we eat!) or accomodations (a half a bed to sleep in per person in our crew), you will keep us coming back again and again. Like feeding a hungry dog!

Small con organizers, what will you get from us?

The great thing about the latest crop of small press game designers, is they love what they do and want to be involved with showing off their game. (Jared, shut up.)

A small press game designer will enthusiastically run game after game for your attendees. He will show them a fun time, because he cares about what he is doing.

I challenge my fellow small press game designers to tattoo this on their tongues:

• We are responsible and organized: we when say we will be there, we are there with all the materials needed to play the game.

• We are on time. Our games begin and end on your schedule. You tell us when, we show you how.

• We are fun as shit. Our games pack in more fun, because we care

• We give good panel. We are always happy to share our knowledge with other budding small press game designers -- thereby sowing the seeds for more dedication and more fun born right there at your local con!

I promise you, if you don't care that we're there, we won't care to come. But if you support us, you enrich your con for years to come.

If you are a small press game designer and would like to add to these lists or share experiences, please do.

If you are a volunteer (as described above) and would like to share war stories about why what I said should be the fucking law, please do.

If you are a con organizer and would like to respond, please do.

Everyone else, please refrain from commenting.

-Luke

drozdal

One thing that I think should be added:
- if You're Con organizer and for whatever reason you have to have it at the hotel, PLEASE make sure there isn't any wedding scheduled during your con. I had more than enough war stories from hotels filled with wedding guests.

TonyLB

I recommend to small con organizers (in addition to Luke's points):

- Tell us honestly what you want, and expect us to take it into consideration, but not to take it as an ultimatum.  Neither say "You must do X, or you are no part of this convention," nor say "What we want?  Oh, we don't want anything!  We're very reasonable.  Whatever you want to do, y'know, that's fine with us."  Both of those are useless (or worse) to me.  Saying "I'd like to see some of X.  How are you with X?" is really helpful.  Most of the time I'll say "I'll give you a little X, sure, though I'm mostly here to do Y" and we'll all be happy.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Michael S. Miller

Hi, Luke.

You know that I take a different perspective on this whole issue. I focus on making myself into a better guest, as opposed to trying make convention organizers into better hosts. Part of that, no doubt, comes from the many years I've put in as an independent GM at these types of cons. I've done the paperwork and been my own handler for so long, it's second nature.

I agree completely that it's beneficial for there to be an intermediary between the GMs and the con administration: a handler, as you say. That's precisely what I'm trying to do with organizing the Indie RPG Explosions at Double Exposure events and at GenCon. (mayber Origins, this year, too?) It takes a lot of work, but it's worth it.

I also agree that many small cons are very poorly organized in general. I don't see how demanding a handler from an already-understaffed convention staff is going to improve the situation. Sure, it would be nice, but I don't think it's realistic.

On another note, what do you see as the future of this document? Right now, it looks like it's just a few steps beyond the griping stage. Posting it here is bound to have little effect on small con organizers. If this is going to become something intended to change the way small con organizers think about their events and about us, a great deal needs to change, especially the adversarial tone. However, If we're going to be teaching small con organizers how to do their job better, that's a huge commitment of time and energy.

Also keep in mind that our "competition" for the attention and understanding of con organizers are folks like the RPGA, who run a very tight ship as I understand it, and assorted independent GMs who run more popular games with fewer demands.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Luke

Hi Michael,

I can see you cringing at my wild assertions from here. But I disagree that a small con can't meet us halfway on this stuff. Next time I'm invited to a small con, I plan on handing over my requests. And next time a con organizer comes poking around here, I'm going to link them to this thread.

In your case, I think you do too much. I think you need more support from the con organizers so you can better focus on running your games. You're volunteering for the con in at least two aspects -- you run games like a madman -- and you're pulling their weight organizing the events. Con organizers need to recognize how much value we add to the cons (I'm not saying we're better than RPGA, but we do have a crowd that we attract).

The OP doesn't say "worship at my feet and give me lots of money." It says "we do a lot of work for you (and a lot of other small cons), help us and meet us half way."

-Luke

TonyLB

I think some of how this gets interpreted is (as I said about con-organizers, coming from the other side of the equation) whether these are requests to communicate what you want, or ultimata.

"It would really help to have a handler, for the following reasons" ... that's good information for a con organizer to get from a designer.  They can say "Okay, this is something that would help them.  I get that.  Valuable thing if we can do it.  Have we got anyone we can spare who's interested?  No?  Okay then, they'll just have to do without."  You can ask for almost anything if your tone of voice makes it clear that "No" is just as acceptable an answer as "Yes."

"We demand a handler, and here are our justifications!" is not so helpful.  It gets people riled up, even if they were already planning to give you what you just asked for.  It makes them start wondering "If I give him an inch, is he going to turn around and demand a mile?"

For what it's worth, when I deal with conventions I try for the middle road between "Oh, we don't need anything," and "Give!  Now!"  I generally say things like "You know, I'd love to get a quarter page in the program.  We could do X, Y and Z with that.  It'd be cool," and then work hard to be gracious if they tell me (for instance) that the program's already gone to the printers, but maybe next year.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Gregor Hutton

Just to chime in here. I think some con organizers -- high on their own ego trip -- could read this as some sort of bizzaro rider, like the strange requests of a pop star.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

The local con here in Edinburgh (Conpulsion) does ALL of these things and has for years. Conpulsion is not a big con in the grand scheme of things (compared to say a GenCon, etc.), but it does OK moneywise. What it's all about is _class_, and how your convention wants to be seen. Conpulsion acts with class, and it gets treated like that in return. It's great to guests and attendees and people want to come back. It has a great vibe. That's where it makes itself financially stable, not penny pinching and treating guests like crap.

The costs to the con for all of this stuff are _negligible_ and the benefits are _huge_. Every GM gets refreshments (coke, water, Irn Bru, whatever) and a snack (chocolate bar, etc.) at Conpulsion when they are running their games. It's a no-brainer. The gophers are there to gopher -- they make sure guests get in as guests and are shown where to go, and treated as guests. They make sure everyone is having a good time and knows what's on. It's all so very f'ing simple.

Conventions rely on word of mouth and the feelgood factor. They rely on people running games and making sure everyone has as good a time as possible. There is no better way to do this than to get guys like Luke at your con. Otherwise your con will either die, or stagger along from year to year like a sick dog.

So, don't superimpose ego on Luke. Put _yours_ to one side, read the list and _do it_.

Malcolm Craig

You know, as others have pointed out, this could be seen as a matter of ego: "Me! Me! Me! Iam teh greatest!" and so on. No. Good con guests will come and bust a gut to make the con even better if they are treated well. A lot of this is a matetr of courtesy: whether you be a guest or a GM who has just volunteered to run games, then you get in free, you get provided with some refreshments and get treated like you are contributing to the con as a whole (which, indeed, you are).

As Gregor pointed out, our local con (Conpulsion) is fantastic in this regard. I mean, I'm a local boy (as is Gregor) yet still the con organisers treat me like a special guest. And I'm delighted to be on panels, run games, do the pub quiz, help out at the charity auction and all this other stuff. Hell, this year (with the help of numerous others) I'm even trying to organise the INdie Games Track to promote a braod spectrum of indie games, not just the ones I'm involved with.

There's a small con in Ireland called Ubercon (no relation to the one in the US) that I'm going to next year. The first time I went was two years ago, before a|state was even released and I just turned up and end up getting treated like a guest! Bought kebabs, given drinks, the whole nine yards. This time round, they've invited me as a guest and have already been in touch to sort out flights and accomodation for me. And in return for this I'm going to run as many games as I can and do whatever I can to contribute to the con. I mean, I'd do the same even if I wasn't a guest, but getting treated well makes you feel good.

I think small cones and small press games can do a lot for each other.

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Merten

Quote from: Gregor Hutton on December 06, 2005, 12:46:47 PM
Just to chime in here. I think some con organizers -- high on their own ego trip -- could read this as some sort of bizzaro rider, like the strange requests of a pop star.

Having been involved with organising Guests of Honor/speakers/game designers/fill-in-your-favourite-title -stay in convention and being in same position for our local Con (Ropecon) next summer, Luke's list sounds very reasonable and includes most of the stuff in our checklist. For a small and/or convention abroard from US, it's smart to attend to the Guests of Honor because a happy guest spreads the word and makes it easier to get guests in following years.

I'd all following things for the organiser:

Send invivations early; travelling arrangements can be a pain in the ass and it's polite to invite guests well in advance so they can sort things out in their end. Also, it helps you to get the people you want; early bird catches the worm.

Use your guests to the max but don't make too tight schedhules. If you have brought guests to your convention, it's wise to require them give something in return. Book them in program (panels, workshops, etc) you think they and audience like - communicate this with the guest. Reseve time for demo games, if guest wishes to run them. Look for local people who want to run the guests games. But don't overdo the program; leave time for mingling and rest. A cranky guest is a bad guest.

(For us geographically challenged) Try to arrange the guests arrival few days before the convention and let him get over the jetlag before the convention and get to know the local area if he wishes.

Check if the guest wants to sell his products at convention; either figure out time and place for him or his crew to do this or try to arrange something with other participating companies.

And finally; don't reserve your convention time at the same weekend the US folks have GenCon. I'm not sure, yet, but I presume this will make arranging an US-based Guests of Honor a bit challenging. Sigh.
Jukka Koskelin | merten at iki dot fi

Mr Darran Sims

One thing to remember in organising a con is the attendees come first, no matter what.

Here are some links of a review of a convention that went a little sour.

The first link is the review of the event
http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue7/conception20021.html

The second link is the organisers reply
http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue8/conceptionresponse1.html

The third link is the Q&A
http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue8/conceptionqanda1.html

Worth keeping in mind.
Cheers,
Darran
-------------------------------
Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2006-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Mr Darran Sims

Quote from: Gregor Hutton on December 06, 2005, 12:46:47 PM

As I have to deal with riders from a wide range of performers as part of my living as a venue manager this is second nature to me.

However this does cut both ways.
We had a problem guest at our last convention. Didn't run games, talk on panels etc. He even held his own business meetings on our time & money. It is not going to happen again.

Our Guests of Honour [and they all do deserve that title as well] this time are going to working for us during the convention. That also means we are going to look after of GoH's and make sure they have everything they need and require to do their games/panels/talks/etc. within reason.

I expect that all will go very well for everyone come July.
Cheers,
Darran
-------------------------------
Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2006-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Nice post Luke.  This is something all small press opperators and all con opperators (not just small ones) should be aware of.  If those of us making Indie games will hold ourselves to a high standard, we are justified in holding those who do business with us to a high standard.  Really liked what you had to say.

Peace,

-Troy

Luke

Quote from: Mr Darran Sims on December 06, 2005, 06:35:50 PMThat also means we are going to look after of GoH's and make sure they have everything they need and require to do their games/panels/talks/etc. within reason.

Seems like a handler would serve nicely in the dual role as aide and strong arm. I have absolutely no problem with handlers taking guests by the elbow and saying, "This way, sir." In fact, I personally need it. I do a con a month, and I just can't keep all the events and rules straight anymore.

-L

Gregor Hutton

About the only change I would make would be presentational. I'd put what we can do for the con first and then put what we expect in return.

And I agree absolutely that we cannot ask for these things if we are going to burn the con organiser's fingers. But that's not the case. It's an agreement. You treat us this way and in return we will do x, y and z at your con.

mneme

I think there's a lot of variation here -- enough to make it hard to write a manifesto without running into a lot of traps:

Are you going to the con as an invited guest?

Are you going as a retailer?

Are you going as a GM?

A lot of the statements made are very appropriate if the con is inviting an Indy designer, or the Indy design community as a whole, as guests.  They're less appropriate in other circumstances, many of which are ones under which Indy game designers attend conventions.

It's worth remembering that many small game publishers are in a very awkward place for cons -- not large enough that the con feels confortable inviting them as guests, but providing enough service to the con that they're not willing to go as "just" a normal GM.  The Forge community as a whole can qualify for a bigger spot, but...
-- Joshua Kronengold