News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Project Senate] Central Thread

Started by JMendes, January 19, 2006, 01:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMendes

Hello, folks, :)

Some of you may remember me. I've been a forgite on and off for a number of years, and the theory developped here has been mulling in my head for quite some time.

But that's not what this is about. What this is about is, I've finally decided to develop a game from beginning to end.

And the reason I've decided to do it is not that I like game design theory. Rather, I've come to the conclusion that I don't know of any game out there that does what I want to do. Not that it doesn't exist, mind you, simply, that I don't know about it.

So, without further ado, I give you:

QuoteCodename: Project Senate
Game Design Goals

The goal of Project Senate is to develop a Role Playing Game where players take on the roles of people with influence and power.

The rules should support gamist play, with emphasis on political and social challenges, with some amount of resource and responsibility management as well.

The game should support a variety of different settings, such as Modern, Renaissance Italy, Hanseatic League, or even Stone-Age Tribal, as well as any number of fictitious settings of any technological or social level of complexity.

The game rules should support long-term progressive campaign-style play, allowing for growth and development of characters and their power base, and providing for balanced opportunities of play for all players. As such, while the game does not need to cater to a player character party style of play, it is also not meant to support player-vs-player win-loose competition.

The mechanics of Project Senate are not meant to model the complete layout of the political human being, nor all possible outcomes of all possible actions. It's been said that, in a political environment, anyone can accomplish anything, provided they are willing to pay the price. As such, at any given time, success or failure for a player character should be measured not by whether they actually perform a given task, but rather, by how much they have actually gained or lost by it.

The whole of the game design document can be found here:
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0167757301/senate.htm

One last note: please don't reply in this thread. I'll be starting one or two specific threads in a day or two so we can talk about some points, but I wanted to save this particular thread to post actual changes and project progress, so to speak.

So... enjoy, mull, and we'll talk later. :)

Cheers,
J.

João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

Hello, :)

I'll be keeping links for the spin-off threads here, for ease of future reference.

The first such thread is this one, on Design Goals, Creative Agenda and Intrinsic Characteristics.

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

A new version of the manuscript has been posted here:
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0167757301/senate_v2.htm

The original version is still available, if you want to compare.

Major changes:
- Characters now have aptitudes that affect certain classes of challenges
- Resource swapping is no longer available
- Changes to a shared relationship are now reflected on all holders of that relationship
- Permanent spending of resources has been reworded for clarity as well as game balance

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0167757301/senate_v3.htm

The previous versions are still available, if you want to compare.

Major changes:
- There is now a step-by-step procedure for defining the game setting
- Strategy resources were divided into primary and buy-in resources
- Strategy preparation and execution times were reworded for clarity and to account for primary and buy-in resources
- Paying the price for negotiations now varies according to the number of resources asked for
- The concept of shared relationships was clarified

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0167757301/senate_v4.htm

As usual, the previous versions are still available.

Major changes:
- The procedures for conducting negotiations were touched up and the paying the price part was completely reworked
- GM guidelines for generating the challenges and budgeting the strategies were added

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

JMendes

Three new threads are up.

In Actual Play, there's Extended playtest report.

In Indie Game Design, there are requests for help on drawing color from the players and also on trying for a GMless design.

Head on over and add your comments.

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer