News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Trollbabe (kinda): Turtle turns heart-ripping seducer

Started by Brand_Robins, March 08, 2006, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand_Robins

While I was in Cali I played a game of pseudo-Trollbabe with my brother Zach. It was short, intense, and a lot of fun. This is unusual, as games with Zach tend to be long, slightly flat, and often a little disappointing.

Zach is younger than me, has a speech impediment, and several learning disabilities. He sort of grew up in my shadow in a lot of ways (those of you who know me can probably appreciate how –not fun- it would be to be my younger brother). Not only that but he played with me as a GM in the very worst of my illusionist abusive whammy asshole GM days, and as a result turned into a classic example of several forms of abused player syndrome. He turtles, he always looks for the right answer, he only plays characters who are of the most white-bread middle class superhero morality, he freezes under pressure, and he waits for the GM to tell him a story rather than participating in creating the story himself.

Now, despite all of that he isn't a horrible player. But historically he functioned best in semi-gamist games with clear expectations, easy and obvious answers to most of the problems presented, and rather pre-prepped set-pieces that were designed to allow him to step on up without actually having to step up. Anything more than that, and anxiety sets in.

So of course I figured, "hell, lets play a nar game with no morals and no ability for me to tell the story to him." I'm just that kind of asshole.

We played using Trollbabe rules, but for various reasons (such as my personal inability to take trollbabes seriously, much less sell them to someone else) we didn't do the "trollbabe" angle. Instead we did a pseudo-Hyborean age game. To do this we looked at a map of Howard's world and I asked Zach what he thought of the names (he's never read much Conan). He liked Stygia, and when I said it was like evil Egypt, he proclaimed that he wanted to be a Stygian prince and necromancer.

This shocked the hell out of me. I jumped in to support, though, and a few minutes later we had his character sketched out and statted. He was a member of the nobility, looking for a way to lead his family to great power, and an initiate of the darkest and most ancient of Stygian arts. In every way this was a departure character from those Zach normally plays, and one that felt in a lot of ways like it came right out of Howard – the kind of guy that would be Conan's arch enemy.

For the game I used the setup stakes from the books about the shape-shifting cat being hunted by the brutal village warrior. I changed the cat to be a hot chick though, because romance and sexuality is another thing Zach normally shied from in games and I wanted to see what would happen now that he seemed to have some boldness behind him.

Sure enough as the game started up, Zach reverted to some of his bad habits. We'd set him up as being in the mountains looking for the magic of an ancient tribe who were said to worship snow cats and to gain connections with the local Afghuli tribe. But when I introduced a snow cat being stalked by the brutal Afghulis, his immediate reaction was to leave the area and avoid contact with either. When I asked why his answer was, "Because... it could be dangerous."

I decided to roll with it, and asked him if he wanted a contest to make something happen, or to say what he did besides just leave. Did he want to see if he could get away without the Afghuli's noticing, for example? He thought about this for a minute, and then said, "No, I want to talk to the Afghulis and find out why they're here, but first I want to scare the crap out of them."

We rolled, he won, we described his character stepping out from behind an ancient standing stone – right into the face of the leader of the Afghulis who was shocked and horrified to discover a Stygian who could sneak up on him in his own home territory. Zach then asked, very timidly, if he could make another roll to learn some information about why they were hunting the cat. I told him that he didn't have to, that his roll to intimidate the Afghulis covered the whole conflict of finding out what they were doing.

Something changed in Zach then, and he started getting aggressive. His character became domineering and frightening. He just about broke the Afghulis as men before letting them slink off back to their village. But once the scene was over he lost momentum again, and said he wanted to "scout the land." When I asked why, he said so he would know... and then stopped, not sure what he even wanted to know.

At that point I asked if he wanted to just skip to something cool. He said yes, that would be better. So we jumped to him tracking the snow cat into the mountains, and stumbling across an ancient burial mound that was full of wicked energy. When he went into the sacred ground, a beautiful woman confronts him and tells him he is not welcome. He says that he's going to make her let him in, and talk to him. I ask how, and he says, "I'm going to seduce her." I tell him to roll, and he fails, fails, and then on his third reroll manages to succeed. He seduces her alright, but only after falling in love with her – in his own description "for the first time his dark cold heart knows the thrill of life."

And from that moment on, Zach was on a tear. It was like he wanted to see how far he could push this stuff, like he finally saw something he'd always wanted and wasn't going to stop until he had it. He started calling for conflicts left and right. He'd push his rerolls when he needed to win, and let his character lose when he decided it would be cool to have a setback. He seduced the woman, who turned out to be the snow cat. When the Afghulis attacked he used magic to rip their hearts out of their chests People of the Black Circle style. He turned their corpses into zombies and used them to track down and murder their chieftain in an 8 roll long series that came down to a nail-biting finale. And when the dying chieftain told him that he could not protect the snow cat because his whole village would see her dead, Zach started a conflict that ended with him butchering their shaman in the main street of the village while the villagers watched on with horror, and then forcing the men of the village to tie up their women and children as he lead the whole village into slavery in Stygian labor pits.

At the end of the game, when I'd narrated the people walking down the hill with the nooses about their necks and the snow cat watching from the top of a mountain, Zach suddenly kicks in and says, "And he never sees the snow woman again, for she knows now that he is a monster and avoids him forever after. Thus it is that Amunku never knows of the child she bears, until the day when father and son finally meet in battle to the death."

And that's how the game ended, with my turtling, never makes a character statement, afraid of sexuality, morally upright playing brother taking over narration and putting in a statement about the stakes of the game and the story he had just told. The combination of conflict resolution, distributed narration, and the understanding that there was no "right" thing to do worked, and Zach and I had the most fun in an RPG we've had in at least a decade. 

Trollbabe rocks.
- Brand Robins

Valamir

QuoteAt the end of the game, when I'd narrated the people walking down the hill with the nooses about their necks and the snow cat watching from the top of a mountain, Zach suddenly kicks in and says, "And he never sees the snow woman again, for she knows now that he is a monster and avoids him forever after. Thus it is that Amunku never knows of the child she bears, until the day when father and son finally meet in battle to the death."

Hot damn...I like the way he thinks.

Ron Edwards

Ha. People who know me personally can imagine the expression on my face as well as roll their eyes with exasperation.

Thanks for posting this, Brand. I am extremely familiar with the crucial shift in behavior and engagement that you witnessed after the "you scared them, so you don't have to do anything else to find out what they know" moment. It's something I nurture across all the groups I play with, and when the campus club was active, I used to enjoy seeing it from student to student to student, over the course of several sessions.

Tell me about re-rolls. How risky did your brother get with them? Was the player-character ever incapacitated?

Best,
Ron

Blake Hutchins

Dear God, this is awesome.  Thanks for posting this, Brand.  Extremely cool.

Best,

Blake

Judd

Quote from: Brand_Robins on March 08, 2006, 04:31:37 PM

At the end of the game, when I'd narrated the people walking down the hill with the nooses about their necks and the snow cat watching from the top of a mountain, Zach suddenly kicks in and says, "And he never sees the snow woman again, for she knows now that he is a monster and avoids him forever after. Thus it is that Amunku never knows of the child she bears, until the day when father and son finally meet in battle to the death."

Holy shit.

I just wanted to see this paragraph all alone.  It is a beauty.

Thanks for sharing.

droog

It's like some sort of ... redemption. Good on ya, Brand.
AKA Jeff Zahari

Brand_Robins

Quote from: Ron Edwards on March 08, 2006, 05:32:28 PM
Tell me about re-rolls. How risky did your brother get with them? Was the player-character ever incapacitated?

Re-rolls were one of the tricky things. At first my brother didn't grock onto them well, and occasionally had some trouble narrating in the things he wanted to use for the rerolls. One example I remember was durring the seduction he picked up an obsidian pebble (found object) and said he used it to reroll. I had to brainstorm with him to get out what he meant, and we ended up with something like "he draws strength from the cold pebbel, reminding himself that his heart should be as hard and black as this stone."

He never was incapacitated. I think he ended up discomomoded in the seduction scene though it could be injured, I don't remember. Either way, it was enough that he fell in love and revealed more than he wanted to her. In the fight with the warrior-cheiftain he was injured, and came pretty damn close to incapacitation (actually I think I screwed up on that one, as I seem to recall him being injured twice and he should have skipped to incapacitation the second time). He wasn't letting that one go, as he hated the guy like his was his (the players) enemy from the old neighborhood. I don't know why he hated him so much, but I do remember the utter frustration as he rolled failure after failure and his willingness to kill off his character to win. That was a nasty fight, spitting and cursing -- the whole village being taken into slavery was a direct result of the badness generated there.
- Brand Robins

Callan S.

A bunch of hypothesis's, just to be clinical.
QuoteZach then asked, very timidly, if he could make another roll to learn some information about why they were hunting the cat.
He was dreading that moment, when multiple rolls in a row are asked for. And the dwindling probabilities eventually crush any hope of getting to that small shining point where he wants to be. And he expects this, even though it sucks, because it makes sense for that to happen, when you treat the rolls as the physics of the world.
QuoteBut once the scene was over he lost momentum again, and said he wanted to "scout the land."
He won something...but wasn't sure how to win anything again. Falls back to old habits. But eventually system clicks with him and "He started calling for conflicts left and right."

Quotemy turtling, never makes a character statement, afraid of sexuality, morally upright playing brother
I think that perhaps instinctively, unless he IS able to put his foot down on the accelerator when he damn well has to (ie, an address demanded it), he'd rather leave the sports car in the garage. If he can't scream, he wont even whisper.

Side note: Saying that, I'm now reflecting on my own history. I once gave an account of my first GM'ing in two seperate groups. There were moral issues built into what I wrote, but while the players seemed to like that stimulating element, they didn't really engage it (gamist responce, really). My games got more boring over time, unfortunately, as I pursued what they seemed to go for (gamism, bit of sim). And I just found the AP account. Oh my god, I even use a vehicle analogy in it as well!
QuoteAnd now I'm thinking, I'm just thinking, that play didn't work out because as the GM, as the leader of play, I didn't give a crap about exploring the games contents. I cared about exploring the players needs to make them happy, but not about exploring the game world itself (the game world I had made with their needs in mind). I suppose it's like if I was interested in flying planes, but noticed they liked it more when I taxied the plane around on the tarmac. In anxiety, I make them a monster truck...but I just don't drive it. Driving only happens when I'm really interested in the vehicle. When I have a passion for the vehicle. The anxiety only made me passionate about trying to look after their needs.
Italics added by me, just now.

And...oops, I'm hit by too many ramifications to know what else to say. Hopefully this side note is fairly useful without extra comentary, even though he was a player and not the player known as GM.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Brand_Robins

Having just talked to my brother, he remembers that he was incapacitated in the seduction contest -- he lost it but got to narrate falling in love with her, at which point she took him as a lover and didn't give him the information he'd wanted. Later, in the fight with the cheiftain he was discomoded in the second series and then again in the third, which I treated as an injured.

So looks like my recolections were a bit off.
- Brand Robins

Sydney Freedberg

I try to seduce you > I fail and am incapacitated > I fall in love with you

That is very, very cool.

James_Nostack

Technical rules question from someone who doesn't have the rules in front of him:

Once you take damage in Trollbabe, doesn't it "stick" until next session unless agreed upon otherwise?  I don't see how you go from Incapacitated in one conflict to merely Discommoded otherwise.  Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Still, it sounds like an awesome session.  I'm looking forward to playing TB again sometime.  It sounds like it works really well for a sword & sorcery game, minus the whole trollbabe deal.
--Stack

TonyLB

Hey, Brand ... how long has it been since the last time you played with your brother?

'cuz I'm not against interpreting this as a pure victory for Trollbabe over the forces of bad player habit ... but at the same time, something about this is making me think "Hey, maybe Brand's brother has also grown as a person in the interval since the games in which Brand formed his opinion of the young man's play."  Obviously you would have a better sense of that (on oh so many levels) than I.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Brand_Robins

Tony,

It was probably a little of both. My brother has grown up a lot in the 8 months since I'd last seen him, and even more than that in the 3 years since we've lived in the same town. However, he hadn't been RPing in that time, and still had all of the same bad habits showing up while we were talking about playing Exalted.

I think you're probably right that a lot of it has to do with his growing up and getting confidence. However, I think that Trollbabe can still claim credit for giving him the chance to actualize that change in play. If we'd played a more traddy game I feel pretty certain that all his new confidence would have faded before the weight of precident and tradition.

James,

It does. We had him heal after the chick took him to her tent for three days solid. Seemed like a good time for a refresh.

- Brand Robins

Brand_Robins

And I just cross posted a slightly fixed up (reflecting the things my brother reminded me of) version of the above to RPG.net: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=250634
- Brand Robins

TonyLB

Quote from: Brand_Robins on March 09, 2006, 06:34:04 PMI think you're probably right that a lot of it has to do with his growing up and getting confidence. However, I think that Trollbabe can still claim credit for giving him the chance to actualize that change in play. If we'd played a more traddy game I feel pretty certain that all his new confidence would have faded before the weight of precident and tradition.

You know, now that you say it that way ... I think that's exactly what happened to me when I was exposed to my first few indie games.  I was early thirties, and everything about the way I lived my life had changed radically, except for my roleplaying which was very much something that the mid-college-Tony would have recognized ... refined and improved but not fundamentally matured.  And then I encountered a bunch of games that helped me catch my RP up with the rest of my life.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum