News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Binding Rolls

Started by Judd, April 15, 2006, 01:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Do the players know the outcome of the initial binding rolls?

How exactly can binding rolls be re-rolled during play?  I've never done that and wonder how it works. 

Ron Edwards

Hi Judd,

QuoteDo the players know the outcome of the initial binding rolls?

In the text's rules, no. I drift it sometimes and just do it openly, most often because I'm teaching the system. In the non-demo or non-con play, I tend to keep it secret.

QuoteHow exactly can binding rolls be re-rolled during play?

Um ... you mean, if a sorcerer has bound a demon, and then binds it again? That's not really something that happens; if the demon is currently bound, then that's that. If the sorcerer wants to make the binding stronger (I suppose in his or her favor), then he or she simply needs to favor the demon's Need and/or Desire.

Is there a specific text passage that leads to this question? Because I can think of some circumstances in which "re-binding" might be involved, but they need some context.

Best, Ron

Judd

Quote from: Ron Edwards on April 15, 2006, 08:46:37 PM
Is there a specific text passage that leads to this question? Because I can think of some circumstances in which "re-binding" might be involved, but they need some context.

I was just reading over binding.  Your answers are dead on what I thought and how I play.

Just double-double-checking.

Peter Nordstrand

Hi,

This is one of the very few points where I deliberately ignore the rules as written. Keeping Binding strength secret has no benefit. Hm, yeah, what's the benefit?

All the best,

/Peter
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Ron Edwards

Peter, what exactly are you asking? "What's the benefit" sounds specific, but for this topic, and for Sorcerer, it's not.

I have an idea - to make this discussion work, try this: state a benefit that you think the secrecy might provide, to some groups and in some way, and then state why keeping the binding strength be known is better for you.

Really, this will help us actually communicate instead of vaguely posting about benefits in some unknown play-context with unknown participants.

Best, Ron

Judd

I like the idea of the sorcerer not knowing where they initially stand with their demon until they take the chance to order it to do something.  That is cool to me.

I am looking forward to using that rule in the Blood Simple PbP.