News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Will Edit for Credit

Started by David "Czar Fnord" Artman, May 05, 2006, 01:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David "Czar Fnord" Artman

I am hereby offering my services as a production editor (post-typeset) for any RPG that will, in turn, provide me with "Production Editor" credit in the game book front matter.

These services can include any or all of the following, in order from fastest to slowest turn-around times:
  • Proofreading (spelling, punctuation, grammar)
  • Copyediting (terminology consistency, logical validity, fact checking as appropriate)
  • Feedback on production techniques (art, fontography, use of tools, color-stripping, file sizes, printer-friendliness)
  • Feedback on diction and style (requires author to provide some sort of style guide or ascribe to a national standard)

I have ten years of professional experience with book design, authoring, templating, editing, and production management for companies that include Cisco Systems, IBM, GlaxoSmithKline, Interactive Magic Games, BuildNet, BlueCross BlueShield, and many small businesses and publications local to the Triangle, NC. I currently have seven major credits in (computer) game manuals for Interactive Magic games, innumerable technical publication credits, a published philosophy paper (Tufts University Press), and three independently developed game system designs of my own (Three Stooges, Shadowrun pre-2nd Ed mods, and GLASS). I hold Bachelors of Arts in English (Style and Semantics focus) and Philosophy (Metaphysics, Ethics, and Logic focus), graduating cum laude in both BAs from UNC Greensboro in 1993.

I prefer to work with press-ready PDF files, but I will consider editing final copy in Word, FrameMaker, or HTML using Track Changes, Change Bars, or font color and strikeout tagging (respectively).

PM me if you would like to learn more. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance;
David Artman
If you liked this post, you'll love... GLASS: Generic Live Action Simulation System - System Test Document v1.1(beta)

To best review production decisions, I will need to know which of the following deliverables will be created from the source files:

Resolution
o  1200/2400 dpi press-ready (for print-on-demand)
o  600 dpi home-printer-ready (for print-at-home of downloads/PDF sales)
o  92/150 dpi web-only (for online-only viewing; poor print quality of raster graphics)
o  all three

Color Depth
o  color - process or spot
o  grayscale
o  monochrome
o  all three

If necessary, I can generate PDFs from DOC and FrameMaker source files, using appropriate Distiller PDF Settings for each deliverable type. Be aware that I can only deliver quality up to what is given to me, which primarily impacts bitmapped images: a 2400 dpi press-ready PDF isn't going to look that great if all of the bitmapped images are scanned and typeset at 150 dpi or 600 dpi. Of course, fonts and vector images scale to any dpi when rasterized, so they will look good at any resolution.

Also if necessary, I can use Acrobat to secure a PDF in various ways, as well as do final file tweaks (whether or not a Panel is open, which page appears first, additional file information, etc).
If you liked this post, you'll love... GLASS: Generic Live Action Simulation System - System Test Document v1.1(beta)

I am now fully committed for the near term--at least through the third week of June, 2006. I will post again when I have delivered on current projects:

Proofing: Passages
Book Design and Layout: Perfect.

David

David Artman

DragonCon is over, so I could handle a project now. Please note that this is an offer to do Production Editing on a (believed to be) ready-to-proof book as original source files or as a PDF--I do not currently have the time to perform full typesetting or book design, though I could be a point of contact for a final proof with the print provider.

Lemme know....
David
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages