News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Starting a new game; asking about BDTP

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, June 19, 2006, 11:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

RedPissLegion wrote:

I get (i think... hope) the idea of BDTP, zoom in on the conflit and get your hands dirty with the bloody mess of the conflict.
What's confusing me is the... "visual concept" (?) of how thing unfold, in this situation there seems to be a very strange conflict at hands, Tlaloc wants to kill Gael (simple enough) and Gael wants to the "forget" word back from Tlaloc (likewise). I can see this working in separate or maybe paralel conflicts, but at the same time it seems confusing, I'm trying to kill this guy and all he wants to do is to take a word out of my head!! how does this come to happen.

If you steal remember how this developed could you post a breakdown of this conflict? or if you don't remember exactly just make it up hehe, i just wanto to understand how such diferent intentions can unfold at the same time.

Hi. This particular example is some pretty advanced TSOY, and not necessarily how you want to run every conflict. With that said, this is pretty easy to do in Bringing Down the Pain. If you look at "parallel actions," you can do whatever you want in a conflict, but note that you're not protecting yourself. Let me give a better example:

Walri the Ratkin is pitiful and does not fight. A mean man, Dmitri, is angry with Walri, and wants to beat him into submission. Walri thinks he can stop being beaten if only he can make Dmitri a dinner so good it will distract him. They enter BDTP, and Walri cooks while Dmitri beats. Walri is not defending himself from the blows and may fall quickly; however, Dmitri is not resisting the allure of food, and so may be distracted quickly.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

RPL

Introductory note: sorry for posting on and old thread, i'll be aware for that in future postings, actually I think i did that in another two posts, need to correct that.

Ok i think i got it now, its just the visual frame that's messing me up, in your example what i see is a big rat getting his ass kicked while trying to cook some food. It's funky, veeeery funky, but i actualy see it working.

Just one last question, more "power" oriented, how can you steal a zu word from someone head? i thought you could only do that if he says it?

Clay

By using careful word play and having a sufficiently dominating presence that they feel compelled to respond.

I was wondering, by the way, do you still beat your wife?
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Clinton R. Nixon

Whoa.

Um, Clay - respond to me privately with what you meant by asking that question. I'd prefer e-mail: crnixon@gmail.com.

This thread is closed until I decide otherwise.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clinton R. Nixon

Clay was using a lawyerly technique to demonstrate how to force someone into BDTP. It was slightly confusing, as both RedPissGuy and me thought he was accusing someone of beating their wife. Anyway, resolved; move on.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clay

Sorry about that, the phrase has been part of my vernacular for so long that I forgot that it wasn't common.  The perils of marrying a lawyer's daughter.

Just for the record, I have no knowledge nor reason to believe that anybody involved in this discussion has beaten their wife.  Anybody who was planning on calling me out to settle a debt of honor, I'm still willing to name my friends, but it wasn't aimed at you.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Thunder_God

BTW, isn't the answer "Mu"?

This does tie in to the Zu, ho ho.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

RPL

Clay: nice tactic!! I'll try using it on my players hehe.

Yeah I think i get it now, I just I can explain to my players the beauty of paralel actions, the cooking example seems like a good way to start.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Andrew Cooper

Is it possible with Parallel Actions for both participants to reach Broken at the same time?  If so, do both intentions happen or neither?

Clinton R. Nixon

Andrew,

It's possible. Note that "Broken" does not mean intentions happen. An intention happens when you take harm past broken - or even more correctly, when one side can't take any more actions, which means they give up.

If you really found yourself in the position where everyone gives up at once, I'd choose as the Story Guide whatever the most interesting option is.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Andrew Cooper

No, I couldn't see everyone giving up at once but I could see two players rolling well and taking each other past broken on the same turn.  I just wondered how that worked out.  You answered my question.

John Harper

Two characters both "winning" BDTP at the same time was the best TSOY moment I've ever had.

The PC got his intention: "Kill the witch."
The Witch got her intention: "Make him fall in love with me."

Pow.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Andrew Cooper

Frank T

The way I understand BDTP, you also can take actions that do not directly and obviously work toward your stakes. Even if the BDTP is haggling about the price of an artefact, I can bloody you with a knife if things go that way, and maintain my intention of getting a good price from you. If your intention is to kill me and mine is to make you forgive me, I might still parry your blows or even strike back.

- Frank