News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] "Send 'em to Four Bridal Falls!"

Started by Bret Gillan, July 26, 2006, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

Liminaut, I don't think it's appropriate to punish the players for choosing something that you as the GM don't agree with or see as a cop-out.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

JMendes

Ahey, :)

Heh. I don't see those as punishments at all. Rather, some could work out to be quite interesting 'towns' indeed.

Start small, maybe do nothing the first time some NPC gets sent to Bridal Falls, then do something minor next time, then escalate, escalate, escalate. :)

Sure, it's all about the players making judgement calls, but hey, the GM is a player too, isn't he?

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

Claudia Cangini

Quote from: JMendes on August 07, 2006, 02:38:28 PM
Ahey, :)

Heh. I don't see those as punishments at all.

Well I do. It's exactly the same thing as saying "you know, guys? You made poor judgement and now I'm gonna rub your nose in it."

Rather, some could work out to be quite interesting 'towns' indeed.

Yes, the kind of Towns where the character come back after a while discovering all their work amounted to nothing and things are worse than before.
I wouldn't say this is in the spirit of the game...

Sure, it's all about the players making judgement calls, but hey, the GM is a player too, isn't he?

Cheers,
J.

Absolutely correct.
And he has the duty, exactly like all the other players, to make things the most enjoyable for everyone.

If the GM has a problem with "sending people to Bridal Falls" it would be better for everyone if he speaks out loud his mind.
Otherwise it seems to me we're on the road to illusionism.

It never ceases to surprise and amaze me how roleplayers leave as last choice the one that seems the most obvious to me: is there a problem? Let's TALK about it.
(this is not especially meant for you, J.)
--
Claudia Cangini

http://claudiacangini.deviantart.com/
(artist for hire)

Bret Gillan

A lot of talk, even the best intentioned talking, turns into out-of-character browbeating ("You guys aren't playing the way I want you to play") and depending on what kinds of games your players are used to being in, the players may see that as a cue to modify their behavior when their behavior may not be the problem. As in this thread, the "Send'em to Four Bridal Falls" judgment is totally within the rules and totally cool, even though I perceived it as a cop-out. Talking about this out-of-character may have been perceived as, "Uh-oh, we're making the GM mad, we'd better not do this anymore," even if that hadn't been my intention.

Talking to the players is always a good idea, but I'd rather go into such a conversation with my head on straight about the game and its rules.

Valamir

QuoteYes, the kind of Towns where the character come back after a while discovering all their work amounted to nothing and things are worse than before.
I wouldn't say this is in the spirit of the game...

Actually, isn't sending the Dogs back to a town to see the result of their judgement right there in the rule book?

Claudia Cangini

Quote from: Valamir on August 07, 2006, 03:31:16 PM
Actually, isn't sending the Dogs back to a town to see the result of their judgement right there in the rule book?

I don't think so...
Anyway the issue has been discussed quit thoroughly here:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=20125.0
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=18652.0
--
Claudia Cangini

(artist for hire)

Claudia Cangini

Quote from: Bret Gillan on August 07, 2006, 02:59:13 PM
A lot of talk, even the best intentioned talking, turns into out-of-character browbeating ("You guys aren't playing the way I want you to play") and depending on what kinds of games your players are used to being in, the players may see that as a cue to modify their behavior when their behavior may not be the problem. As in this thread, the "Send'em to Four Bridal Falls" judgment is totally within the rules and totally cool, even though I perceived it as a cop-out. Talking about this out-of-character may have been perceived as, "Uh-oh, we're making the GM mad, we'd better not do this anymore," even if that hadn't been my intention.

Talking to the players is always a good idea, but I'd rather go into such a conversation with my head on straight about the game and its rules.

Well but why should your players fear angering the GM?
If I couldn't talk openly about my tastes in gaming with my fellow players I'd feel I have a communication problem.

And I think the issue shouldn't be "You guys aren't playing the way I want you to play" but "You guys aren't playing the way I want to play".
So the question is: can we have fun together? Or are our tastes in gaming too much afar?
--
Claudia Cangini

(artist for hire)

Bret Gillan

I don't disagree with any of that. But what I'm saying here is that my intention in posting here was to make sure I understood the game correctly, though, and talking to the players is unnecessary because my problem was a problem with my understanding of the rules, not a problem with our communication. "Talk to the players!" works fine as a solution if not talking to your players is the problem. My problem was misunderstanding the game and how it should be played.

Lance D. Allen

A furtherance on Blankshield's point...

When someone was sent back to Bridal Falls (Or Vineyard, as it was called in our slight-twist on the canon setting) in our game, it wasn't a cop-out.. It was the judgement. Our judgement was this: You are a sinner, but you can be saved. Your continued presence in this town would be harmful to it, so rather than leave your rehabilitation to the Steward as is usually the way, we will send you on to Vineyard, the center of our Faith, so that those who have been Stewards and Dogs before us can help you find your right place with the King, and allow you to return to the flock.

Sending someone to Vineyard (Bridal Falls) wasn't ever punishment. We hung people, or shot them on the spot, or declared their punishments to be carried out by the Steward and the community. Sending them on to the hub of the Faith was removing them from the town and allowing them to start anew.

Which isn't to say that it was always the wisest choice, of course. But it wasn't a punishment.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Claudia Cangini

Quote from: Bret Gillan on August 07, 2006, 04:12:00 PM
I don't disagree with any of that. But what I'm saying here is that my intention in posting here was to make sure I understood the game correctly, though, and talking to the players is unnecessary because my problem was a problem with my understanding of the rules, not a problem with our communication. "Talk to the players!" works fine as a solution if not talking to your players is the problem. My problem was misunderstanding the game and how it should be played.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be uncooperative.

Actually I started posting in answer to Liminaut and not your initial message (about which I basically agree with Vincent so I've not much to add).

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. If I've given you this impression I beg your pardon.

Best!
--
Claudia Cangini

(artist for hire)

Liminaut

Quote from: Vaxalon on August 07, 2006, 08:18:05 AM
Liminaut, I don't think it's appropriate to punish the players for choosing something that you as the GM don't agree with or see as a cop-out.

When I wrote "Think about things from the NPC's point of view" I meant that absolutely, positively, literally.  Would the character _want_ to go back to Four Bridal Falls?  In Wolfen's case, the answer is probably yes.  Bret's original post, it sounded like the character would probably not want to go back.

Given that the character doesn't want to go back to Four Bridal Falls, what are the logical outcomes of that event?  Maybe the fellow hitches a ride back east or something, or maybe something more cinematic happens.

You and Claudia have a very good point that if a second "town" like this was done in a spirit of punishing the players the game would go south very quickly.  And I can see from the language of my post (especially "see if they send somebody off to Four Bridal Falls again") that you could have thought that was my intent.  But I really was coming from a "Think about things from the NPC's point of view" perspective.

Look at it this way.  You write up a town, including "What happens if the Dogs do nothing".  The players come in, look around, ... and leave.  They do nothing.  A few months later, they decide to come back to the town.  What stage is the town in?  The original write-up or the "if the Dogs do nothing" stage?

==Ed Freeman
==If there's no such thing as magic, why do we
  have the word?

Vaxalon

Read it again, Liminaut.

It doesn't say "What happens if the Dogs do nothing?"

It says "What would happen if the Dogs never came."

The Dogs came.  So the "What would happen if the Dogs never came" doesn't happen.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker