News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Oath "House Rules"

Started by John Harper, August 20, 2006, 05:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Harper

In another thread, Darren asked some good questions about handling oaths. I don't think I quite gave a complete answer there, so I'm starting another thread to offer some "house rule" suggestions for those that would like a more formal oath structure.

Oath system 1: Fixed value
In this system, helping dice have a fixed value in oaths. If you call in one oath, the hero owes you a d6 helping die. If you call in two oaths, you're owed a d8 die. Three oaths are worth a d10. This negates bargaining during an oath transaction, which some people don't like.

Oath system 2: Relative value
In this system, when you call in an oath, the other hero must give you a helping die of equal or greater size than the largest die in your current pool. If the hero can't meet this requirement, he or she must help with the largest die size available. This ensures that a "helping die" is actually helpful most of the time, and generally makes oaths a powerful force in play.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Darren Hill

As you know, I definitely think there's some value in a formal oath structure, so I like both of those. I think the one I'd encourage my group to use would be the second.

Helping dice are probably most often called after the roll is made, and you know what your opponent's roll is. So another alternative:

Oath System 3: Target Value
It costs 1 Oath to ask for the smallest die that can beat the target, and 1 extra Oath for each size larger.
So, if the opponent has rolled a 5, a d6 would cost 1 Oath and a d10 3 Oaths.

And then there's Ralph's humorously wicked version
Oath System 4: Cruelty Pays!
When calling in an Oath, it costs 1 Oath and you choose which trait the helper uses to assist you.
When giving help, you can provide any die, even a d4, and your opponent gets an Oath to you. (For my taste, you'd have to give a die that could beat the target's roll if it has already been made.)

And finally, combining those:
Oath System 5: Choices, Choices
When giving help to get an Oath, you must grant a die big enough to beat the enemy's roll. If you can beat the enemy's roll on average (d10 v a target of 5, say), you get 2 Oaths. (Or maybe 3.)
When calling in an Oath, you can choose which trait the oathbound Hero uses: this costs you 2 Oaths. (Or maybe 3.)  Or you can let the helping Hero choose, for 1 Oath. In this case, the die used must be capable of winning the roll*. (A d6 would be needed if the enemy has a roll of 5.)
* Or, if such a die is not available, the next smallest must be used (so if the target rolls 7, and you have no d8's left, you can roll a d6, hope for a 6, then open-end it.)

Option: First Refusal (for system 4 and 5) when calling an an oath and choosing the trait, the helping hero can refuse the first trait demanded - if he chooses to. (If using a system like Option 5, where choosing a trait costs more oaths, this reduces the cost by 1.)

I imagine it's quite possible to come up with some pretty arcane and complex oath pricing structures - that last one is getting pretty complex.

Valamir

Actually, perhaps my original misreading of the rules would be simplest, and address the same things.

That is, when you cash in an oath, you tell the ower what ability they are to help you with.  "Artellos, I need your help lifting this heavy object, lend me your Might".  When you give someone help they didn't ask for you choose the ability  "Takelos, I see you are carrying a heavy object, let me rig you up a harness for it.  Here's my Cunning".

That way you get the same bargaining effect between the players.  If someone only gives d4s and demands d10s that will come back to haunt him.  BUT it means that in the moment of crisis you're certain to get something useful because when you cash in the oath you pick what you need.

John Harper

Yes, Ralph, that's one good way of doing it. Obviously, I prefer the method in the book. But these are all good options for people that want them.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Shreyas Sampat

Oath System 6: The Assist When you give another hero a helping die, you become unable to recieve Glory personally for the same contest. Instead, you recieve Glory for assistance, in the amount of half the beneficiary's Glory payout.

Furthermore, you suffer the consequences of losing the conflict if you or your beneficiary lose the contest.

So, if my mental math is good, you're directly rewarded for a) contests the hero would have won anyway and b) helping the hero win contests he normally couldn't; b should be associated with higher Strife values and thus better Glory payouts, and a is not always particularly clever to do since it costs you an impairment anyway.