News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

ENnies Judge Nominee Q&A

Started by Denise, February 07, 2007, 02:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise

Over in "site discussion" we've been discussing the judge nomination process for the Annual Gen Con EN World RPG Awards.  In an effort to increase participation (and relevance) to a wider audience, we're asking members of multiple gamer discussion boards to ask the potential judges questions about their philosophy and background, in order to make an informed decision when it comes time to cast their ballots.  There have been some interesting discussions on EN World, theRPGsite and RPG.Net, and I'm hoping to stimutate (and encourage Forge members) some here as well.

Thus far, we have one question from a Forge member:

"Does System matter?"
An ENnie vote has as much meaning as a dollar bill - that is, it's worth what you choose to value it at. -clash

The Annual Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ("The ENnies")

Ben Lehman

Here's some questions:

* Is a game without supplementation "dead" and if so, what does that mean for your opinion of the game?

* If a given game approaches a basic task of role-playing (task resolution, advancement, combat, GMing, session pacing) in a totally different way than prior role-playing games, are you inclined to see that as positive or negative?  Why?

* How much do production values (art, layout, etc.) matter in your assessment of games?

* How many different role-playing systems have you played this year?

yrs--
--Ben

Vermicious Knid

Howdy folks.

1. Yes, system matters. The rules you use shape the gaming experience.

2. No, not really. Chess certainly isn't dead, for example. ;) I'd be perfectly happy to play a game so complete it requires no further work.

3. Production values matter some, but not nearly as much as interesting mechanics or cool creative background. I'd rather have no art than bad art.

4. 3. Hero, D&D 3.5, a homebrew thing.

C.W.Richeson

* Is a game without supplementation "dead" and if so, what does that mean for your opinion of the game?

It means it's a game without supplements.  "Complete" and "dead" may both be accurate terms.  In general, I like games that come in just one book as much as I like games with a variety of supplements.

* If a given game approaches a basic task of role-playing (task resolution, advancement, combat, GMing, session pacing) in a totally different way than prior role-playing games, are you inclined to see that as positive or negative?  Why?

I *like* totally new ways of doing things.  I get tired of just seeing yet another Attribute + Skill + die roll system.  That said, sometimes new ways of doing things just aren't very good.  Either they're not intuitive, or they're cumbersome, or they just don't work.  Finally, sometimes simple ways are the best ways and I wouldn't fault a product for sticking to tried and true RPG design decisions.  I *would* enjoy a product more for doing something I consider innovative, however.

* How much do production values (art, layout, etc.) matter in your assessment of games?

Quite a bit.  Good art and editing help to evoke a specific mood that draws the reader into a product.  That doesn't mean the game needs top artists to do well.  Zorcerer of Zo and Spirit of the Century, for example, have good art but aren't on a level with the latest full color visual extravaganza WOTC has put out.  White Wolf's products tend to closely match art with text, so while they tend to avoid full color production this attention to mood goes a long way to increasing the overall presentation of a product.  If you'd like to see me evaluate the production values of a product, just check out my reviews on RPG.net here: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/search-review.phtml?reviewerName=Christopher%20W.%20Richeson

* How many different role-playing systems have you played this year?

Over a dozen, including such wonderful games as Spirit of the Century, Don't Rest Your Head, Zorcerer of Zo, With Great Power..., Faery's Tail, and others.

Doug Ruff

Hi,

1. Yes, System Does Matter. If you want a longer answer, feel free to post a more detailed question!

2. A game isn't dead as long as someone is still playing it.

3. As a judge, production values matter a lot if they are part of the judging criteria, or if the product is a visual game aid. Other than that, if the layout and/or art significantly increases or decreases my enjoyment and appreciation of the game and this carries through to actual play, it's a factor. Other than that, not so much.

4. Spycraft 1st Edition, The Pool, Capes, a different homebrew thing. Less than I would usually play in a year, for personal reasons.

Regards,

Doug
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'

fusangite

Is a game without supplementation "dead" and if so, what does that mean for your opinion of the game?
Well, although I am best characterized, in this site's terminology, as a hardcore simulationist I tend to share the tendency in Indie-RPGs to favour systems designed for specific settings and game dynamics rather than attempting to design big universal systems. As a result, I tend to favour products that substantially integrate system and setting and therefore do not require supplements. Dogs in the Vineyard is a great example of a game for which no supplementation is required.

If a given game approaches a basic task of role-playing (task resolution, advancement, combat, GMing, session pacing) in a totally different way than prior role-playing games, are you inclined to see that as positive or negative?  Why?
I'm inclined to see the new approach on its own merits. I think it would be a grave mistake to reward a new system simply because it is new; similarly, it would be a big mistake to penalize it for being new. I think that both knee-jerk conservatism and turning a blind eye to deficits in a new product would be counter-productive on the judging panel.

How much do production values (art, layout, etc.) matter in your assessment of games?
Personally, not much at all. The toughest awards for me to judge will be art and production values awards.

How many different role-playing systems have you played this year?
Hopefully you mean the past year not the past six weeks. I have played Dogs in the Vineyard, D&D, True 20, Warhammer and Runequest. I have just finished running a 2-year game with a homebrew system.
"The women resemble those of China but the men had faces and voices like dogs."
-- A 6th century account of Fusang, the country across the Pacific from China.

Xath

Quote from: Denise on February 07, 2007, 02:14:50 PM
"Does System matter?"

Sure the system matters.  The rules and mechanics are one of the things judged as part of the overall quality of a product.  It's important that the mechanics being used support the ideas that the game is trying to convey. 

Xath

Quote from: Ben Lehman on February 07, 2007, 03:25:19 PM

Certainly not.  There are some systems that I love that unfortunately weren't popular enough to make it past the first book.  That doesn't mean I get any less enjoyment out of playing the game. 

Quote* If a given game approaches a basic task of role-playing (task resolution, advancement, combat, GMing, session pacing) in a totally different way than prior role-playing games, are you inclined to see that as positive or negative?  Why?

It depends on how they do it.  If it's done in a way that was well thought out, understandable and it works, then of course it's a good thing.  If the publishers did it in a way soley to be "different" but with no real cohesion or backing, then that's a negative.

Quote* How much do production values (art, layout, etc.) matter in your assessment of games?

It applies to the "overall" quality of the book, but doesn't affect my assessment of the system itself. 

Quote* How many different role-playing systems have you played this year?

Quite a few.  In the past year, I've played Exalted, Hunter, Serenity, D20 Modern/Future, D&D, Wheel of Time, Paranoia, Mutants & Masterminds, Buffy/Angel, True 20, and probably a few more that I'm not thinking of right now.

fusangite

Quote from: Denise on February 07, 2007, 02:14:50 PM"Does System matter?"
Hugely, in my opinion. The degree to which a product's desired style of play is facilitated by its system will be my main evaluation criteria.
"The women resemble those of China but the men had faces and voices like dogs."
-- A 6th century account of Fusang, the country across the Pacific from China.

C.W.Richeson

And since I missed the "Does system matter" question, my answer is "Yes, system matters."

Mcrow

Quote#1 Does System matter?
Yes, to a point. If a system makes the game less enjoyable than it would be with a system that was better suited for that game.
#2 Is a game without supplementation "dead" and if so, what does that mean for your opinion of the game?
No. I don't use supplements for the most part in my games.

#3 If a given game approaches a basic task of role-playing (task resolution, advancement, combat, GMing, session pacing) in a totally different way than prior role-playing games, are you inclined to see that as positive or negative?  Why?
I could see as a positive or a negative. It would be positive the mechanic was good and made sense for the game, but if it is obvious that the only think the designer was going for was to be different, then it would be a negative. Different without a purpose does not make a game better.
#4 How much do production values (art, layout, etc.) matter in your assessment of games?
They do figure in to my assessment of game. However,   I don't think a game needs to be filled with high-dollar color art or pro graphic design to look good. A good basic B/W clean layout, with respectable art is all I ask. That said many small publishers do just fine in this aspect IMO.

#5  How many different role-playing systems have you played this year?
9- Iridium System, Burning Empires, Sorcerer, Conspiracy of Shadows, DiTV, Unisystem, Palladium, D20, GDi. I think that's all of them. Hopefully more next year.

Jason Morningstar

Here's a question for y'all:  I'm interested in your responsibility, maturity, and even-handedness.  Have you ever publicly mocked or insulted a game or game designer?  If so, who and why? 

Mcrow

Nope, there have been times that I would have liked to but thought better of it a let it go.

I have had an arguement or two with game designers over them being rude to me.

Xath

QuoteHere's a question for y'all:  I'm interested in your responsibility, maturity, and even-handedness.  Have you ever publicly mocked or insulted a game or game designer?  If so, who and why? 

I can't think of an instance where I would have done such a thing.   

Vermicious Knid

Quote from: Jason Morningstar on February 08, 2007, 11:16:59 AM
Here's a question for y'all:  I'm interested in your responsibility, maturity, and even-handedness.  Have you ever publicly mocked or insulted a game or game designer?  If so, who and why? 

Errr....I don't think I've made any public negative comments about a designer's work. If you dig around on Circus Maximus you will find that I've expressed that I think Rasyr is being a bit of an ass about the Ennies this year...but that doesn't have anything to do with his work as a game designer. With the number of designers floating around the boards I've undoubtedly squabbled with a few, but I consider insulting someone's work to be over the line.