News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[psi run] situation

Started by chris_moore, March 19, 2007, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_moore

My friend and I are working on a game called Psi Run.  Players create characters that:
1)  have a psychic power
2)  have been captured by a shadowy organization
3)  can't remember their past
4)  have just survived a car crash, which has killed their guards
5) on the run
...I hope.  I want the game to be about the characters trying to survive by evading capture, while trying to regain their memories, and deal with potentially destructive psychic powers. 
What if they don't run? Do I just make this clear in the game, that, if you don't run, your character is out of the story?  Or do I need something else?

Iowa Indie Gamers!

Callan S.

It doesn't seem much of an ending or result to punt them from the game if they don't run. Do you want to offer the option of not running, when it leads to a pretty drab result? I mean, if players come to play 'cause in roleplay, you can do anything', well really they can't cause their part in the game ends if the 'anything' they do is not run.

Are you worried about the players who are into 'do anything' not showing up?
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

chris_moore

So, the answer is, "your characters are on the run."

Thanks
Iowa Indie Gamers!

Paul Czege

Hey Chris,

It seems to me that if you run there should be two possible outcomes:

1. After taking some desperate actions, you find out who you are.
2. After some desperate actions, you believe you've found out who you are, but in fact all of your desperate actions were in service to the organization that captured you, and the life you think is yours is really a lie. (This is the Angel Heart storyline.)

And if you don't run, there should be two possible outcomes:

3. You gradually realize you're an agent of your captors, but you covertly minimize the fallout from your actions in accord with your own conscience, and other people's lives are the better for the risks and sacrifices you take.
4. You realize your captors are lying and that you never were their agent. You either become a monster in their service, or you're destroyed.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

chris_moore

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I'll be posting about conflict resolution and char gen soon.

Chris
Iowa Indie Gamers!

Callan S.

Quote from: chris_moore on March 20, 2007, 10:39:24 AM
So, the answer is, "your characters are on the run."

Thanks
Fair point. Similar to Paul's suggestion, I was going to suggest not giving them the option of running, but it's automatic and they get to choose why they run. Say from a set list or it could be like spiritual attributes from the riddle of steel RPG.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>