News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Forge Midwest]Interview with Ron Edwards

Started by Clyde L. Rhoer, May 14, 2007, 08:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Folks,

I did an interview with Ron Edwards, at Forge Midwest. It just went up late last night. We talked about a debacle that took place in these very forums a year or two ago, when story is actually created, Ash cans versus picking pockets, a different way to do cons, and I'm sure other things. It clocked in at just under 2 hours, and is about 90MB in size. If you like this one there will likely be a follow up interview at Gen Con, as I didn't get through all my questions. I feel I should add a question to promote discussion, but am at a loss as to what to ask.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Ron Edwards

Just under two hours? Is that all?

One thing journalists never fail to mention about Fidel Castro is his propensity for very, very long speeches, often with the implication that this is somehow wrong or weird or tyrannical. My reaction to such references is usually, hey, three hours? That doesn't sound that bad.

Best, Ron

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hey Ron,

I'm not opposed to going longer at Gen Con. Being a beggar as far as driving goes was my main limiter. I've got no problem with making a three, four hour podcast, and I don't like the idea of being outdone by Communist dictators. I'll bring eight questions, how's that sound? *chuckles*

Matt Snyder

This podcast was superb. I highly recommend it to Forge visitors, or anyone else interested in RPGs for that matter!

Thanks, Clyde & Ron.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Everyone who first comes here should listen to that podcast.  Nice work Ron and Clyde.

Peace,

-Troy

Valamir

This may be a dumb question...but how do I actually get the fil?.  I can subscribe and listen to it on my pc but I want to put in on my player and listen in the car...but the only file it lets me actually save to my computer is the intro music.  Where can I grab the actual MP3 from?

Paul Czege

Hey Ralph,

The direct link to the file is exactly what Clyde posted above:

http://www.theoryfromthecloset.com/shows/tftc_show008.mp3

If you're getting just the intro music, you're only getting a partial file download. I've had the same issue trying to download Clyde's podcasts at work. The connection gets broken and you get a partial file. (I attribute my problem with this to a substandard quality of internet connectivity at my company.) You can still play a partial mp3 file. It just cuts off abruptly.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Valamir

I don't think so Paul.  When I view the podcast as a play list its clearly showing 2 tracks...one 40 seconds or so that is the intro and one 2 hour file that is the actual interview.

The link above only downloads the intro file...same 42 seconds each time I try it.  It doesn't cut off abruptly...its a complete 42 seconds every time I down load it.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hey Ralph,

That's a really interesting problem. I used the link Paul threw up, and it's working fine for me. I'm going to poke around and see if I can see why you're seeing two files, and if I can make that stop happening. As of this moment though I can't recreate what you are seeing. I put the file in a separate folder just for you:

http://www.theoryfromthecloset.com/ralph/tftc_show008.mp3

Can you give me more info like what your operating system is, and what program you are using to access the files?

Yokiboy

Clyde, Ron, the interview was fantastic! Thanks guys.

I was a complete Story After guy for years. Piecing together stories in Story Hour posts after our play sessions, but have after years of story gaming been able to grasp conflict and am now utterly enjoying Story Now play.

Great interview,

Yoki

Andrew Cooper

Quote from: Ron Edwards on May 16, 2007, 08:27:52 AM
One thing journalists never fail to mention about Fidel Castro is his propensity for very, very long speeches, often with the implication that this is somehow wrong or weird or tyrannical. My reaction to such references is usually, hey, three hours? That doesn't sound that bad.

Except... have you ever listened to one of his speeches?  Trust me, 3 hours is waaaaaaaaaaaay long.

Valamir

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on May 23, 2007, 05:30:11 PM
Hey Ralph,

That's a really interesting problem. I used the link Paul threw up, and it's working fine for me. I'm going to poke around and see if I can see why you're seeing two files, and if I can make that stop happening. As of this moment though I can't recreate what you are seeing. I put the file in a separate folder just for you:

http://www.theoryfromthecloset.com/ralph/tftc_show008.mp3

Can you give me more info like what your operating system is, and what program you are using to access the files?

Using the first link above on IE7 with Quicktime wouldn't even play from that link, though I could get it to play through the rudimentary media player built in to aol.

I could get IE to play it if I navigated directly to your site and picked it up from there, which is where IE7s Podcast feed features displayed it as a playlist containing two tracks.

But I was able to grab it from the second link you provided.  Now I just have to see if I can get the other interviews to work as well.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hey Ralph,

If those give you trouble you might try using iTunes. I have directions how to subscribe with itunes on the website here. This is the software about 3/4 of the people subscribed to my podcast are using. Likely you'll get a better experience with it. iTunes would be my choice if they had a Linux player.

Valamir

Thanks for the tip.  Itunes will make it easy.

Nev the Deranged

I finally got around to listening to this today (twice!) and it really made sense of the whole "Story Now" thing. Cool. It actually made me wonder if I am one of those people who can't "see story", despite only having played a very little bit of Werewolf, and really having played very little of ANY game through to the "end of the story" per se. So I'm not sure where I might have lost that ability. Or maybe I didn't, I don't know. I certainly tend to focus on the geeky minutia and when I describe a movie or book it is difficult for me not to want to include every neato detail. Is there a way to test oneself for "story blindness"?

Other than that, the interview was excellent, and really put a lot of things into context for me. I will probably listen to it once or twice more to let some of the finer points really sink in. Thanks a lot, Clyde and Ron!