News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Destiny SAs in game play

Started by Morfedel, July 23, 2003, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morfedel

I wanted to move this to another thread, as I thought it would be more appropriate.

How would you deal with difficult SAs, in terms of when they trigger, involving Destiny?

For instance... Destiny: To Die in a Ditch, or Destiny: To Die on the Sword of a Foreigner. When would these trigger? In the second case for instance, every time they fight a foreigner, representing they are fighting harder, knowing their destiny... or when they are fightning non foreigners? Because they know they are safe til then?

Either way seems open to lots of abuse. Taking the first interpretation, if your character is travelling into other countries, any fight with a chance of death would trigger... while they would trigger a lot at home if you took the second interpretation.

And as pointed out, how would you have a Destiny such as "To die in bed, surrounded by family"?

Wanted to know how you all would deal with it.

Draigh

Destiny as a Spiritual Attribute comes in to play every time you take steps to ensure your destiny.  For instance, if your destiny is to die at the hand of a foreigner, I would award a point or two every time you were wounded by a foreigner.  If you ran from a fight with a foreigner, i would take one...

make sense?
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.

Brian Leybourne

There are some really good threads talking about SA's in general and the Destiny SA listed in the "look here first" sticky at the top of the forum. Also, check out this one for some good thoughts about destiny from Ron.

One of these days, I'll even update that "look here first" sticky too. Promise! :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

buddha

QuoteAnd as pointed out, how would you have a Destiny such as "To die in bed, surrounded by family"?

Wanted to know how you all would deal with it.
Sorry Morfedel, just read this thread, and realized I answered some of the question on the old thread.

Anyway, apologies...

Buddha

Jake Norwood

I see Destiny as the SA that the player pushes forward, but the character has no idea. It's an OOC thing, and knowing when to award dice for it is really a player/Seneschal communication thing.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Valamir

Jake, forgot to mention after hearing this explanination at the con, I think this is the best way to describe Destiny to TROS players I've heard yet.  Its essentially "what do I as a player wish to have as the epilogue to this character".  

Spinning it that way makes it clear that its something the PLAYER must maneuver his character towards, not something the GM is supposed to just hand over; and like anything that a player wants his character to accomplish in the game, he may well fail to achieve it.

Don't know how long you've been explaining it like that, but it works well.

Jake Norwood

Yeah, that's the problem with stuff. I didn't really know how to tell people about SA's when I wrote TROS intitially. Now I do. Eh.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant