News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Inconspicuous demons and cloak

Started by Tim Alexander, August 13, 2003, 07:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Alexander

Hey all,

This one is mostly for Ron, but I figured most people would be interested in the response. In another thread you said:

As written, the only ability which does not count toward its Lore total is the "passive Cloak" of inconspicuous demons. I now greatly regret this rule, but that's what's in the text, anyway.

Would you mind expanding on this? Why the regrets? Do you wish the other types had a freebie, or do you wish none of them did? In either case (or in whatever case) why? Is it just a niggling point of inconsistency in application, or something you've found as a hindrance in play?

-Tim

Ron Edwards

Hi Tim,

It's a consistency & elegance thing. I made rules more complex when the system made it unnecessary to do so.

Here's how I should have done it: required Inconspicuous demons to take the Cloak ability and had it count toward their Lore totals. So it'd just be a specification of a demon Type with no alteration or exception to any existing rules and their relationships, unlike the current text.

Oh well. In theory, the in-game effect is to permit Inconspicuous demons a bit more oomph than others, as they effectively get a free ability. But it hasn't been an issue in play.

Best,
Ron

P.S. For reference purposes, the thread Tim's referring to is Sorcerer main book questions.

Tim Alexander

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the info. It's more or less what I expected to hear. Mostly I was concerned that maybe you had found a long term game effect. I certainly appreciate the desire for the consistency and elegance though.

-Tim