News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

pitching to comic store owners

Started by Paul Czege, February 18, 2004, 08:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Czege

So...advancing from Bill Corrie's http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8524">great advice on pitching and selling to local game stores, I've been thinking seriously about trying the same thing at a local indie-friendly comic store that my friend Tom has been frequenting. This particular store has a small shelf of clix and card games, and perhaps more importantly, I'm thinking they have a better attitude about indie products than the local game store owners do. The hurdle, of course, is me not knowing anything about their costs and how they do business with comic distributors and whatnot. Do they pay up front? What percentage of cover price? Do they pay shipping?

But fortunately, I'm connected. My Life with Master's awesome cover artist and indie comic guy http://www.lucidcomics.com/">Will Terrell offered some insight via email, in response to my inquiry, and it was so great I asked him if I could excerpt and share it here. I was particularly impressed with his keen understanding of the psychology of the comic store owner:
    Keep this in mind when you go to talk to an owner.  Talk to them "as if..."   As if  you were the badassest thing to ever walk in their door.  Don't be cocky, but be confident and don't second guess yourself or sell yourself short.  This is cruial... "EVERYONE wants to know someone famous."  This is especially true with comic store owners, even the surly bastard ones.  Walk in the door like you're a superstar and deal with them like you're a week away from being number one.  And never do anything to counter that.  If you make them think you're going to be hot shit, they'll want to see you succeed, and they'll want to be a part of that.  And the best way to make them think you're hot shit is by having good quality products, which of course you do, and you will continue to.  So let you're product speak for itself, but have the brass balls to back it up.  And I can't stress this enough, don't be arrogant, cocky or condescending when acting "as if.." People are always more inclined to help a nice guy than an ass.  Not that you have a problem with that.  

Also try not to limit yourself to just being Indie. That may be the category your book is in this week...  And it might be what you intend to stick with, but retailers want to back the big dog. They may like the little guy but he never makes him much money. So act "as if.." you're book could be picked up at any moment by a giant publisher. Carry yourself like your potential is unlimited, and keep the perception of you being indie or small time down to a minimum. The only reason I mention this is to illustrate the difference between how the retailer sees you, and how he wants to see you if he's going to help you out.[/list:u]And what about costs? Will explains (and remember that this is comics):
      Most retailers pay 60 - 70% of cover through a distributor. After the book is sold it ends up breaking down that the dist. gets about a third, the retailer gets about a third and publisher gets the rest. When you sell directly to a store it works differently because the distributor is not involved. There are two ways that I usually approach them to do it. I always go in first and give them a sample of the product and ask if they will buy 5-10 copies(or more depending on the book and the store) at 75 - 50% of cover price, depending on how many they buy. If they buy 10 or more they get 50%, if they buy 5 or less it's 75%. Most retailers don't have a problem with that.  

If they seem hesitant, like they don't want to fork up the cash for it or they're not sure how well it will sell, you can ask them to sell it on consignment. Meaning, they give you space on the shelf for free for a certain period of time, and you come back once a month to either stock it with new issues or more of the old if it sells. In exchange for them letting you use the space, they get a small percentage of profit. Usually like 15 - 25%, because they're not actually risking anything except the space. Most retailers CAN'T and won't turn that down.  It's too sweet a deal. But don't offer this unless you think they're going to balk at paying up front.  It's much easier in the long run to get cash up front, but consignment is a good way to start a long term relationship with a reluctant retailer. Eventually they start to trust you and your products and start paying up front so they can get the higher profit margin.[/list:u]He also offers the following promotional advice:
        One last thing, make an event out of your book/game. Ask to do a one day store signing for your book, with you and the artist. Like a book release signing, or a tour stop. You can also combine it with other local publishers, so they can help get the word out.  Promote it a month ahead of time, send press releases to the newspapers and fliers to the local college. And maybe donate something for a raffle during the signing, so people will have an added reason to show up while you're there. Each time that I've done a store signing, even though I'm not the biggest name yet, it's helped the store I'm in get more sales. Especially with my products, but also with theirs.  It's different, it changes the routine, and people like that. And it helps you out by selling more books.  Most of my sales are made at store signings. AND you get the opportunity to interact and explain your product first hand to people. Familiarity promotes loyalty. I don't know any retailer that is against store signings, no matter how small time you are. If you're too small you might not sell as many books. But if anything's going to help you sell it's being there in person.[/list:u]Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Mark Johnson

Paul,

Great post.  Has anyone here tried marketing extensively to comic stores?  Any success stories?  Pitfalls?

Later,
Mark

Clay

At least in East Lansing, MI the two game stores are also comic stores.  They're also very receptive to in store demos, because it does bring people in.  At least one of them holds events once or twice a week just for that reason.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

daMoose_Neo

I'm publishing a card game at the moment, but I'm actually trying a similar approach, contacting more comic and such shops.
The guys who helped me develop it are scattered between here (michigan) and the west coast, so we can run a couple 'events' coast to coast almost. Can let you know how that all works out if it helps ^_^
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

ejh

Hey Paul --

If you do an in store demo of MLWM anywhere in Central Michigan, I'll bust my butt trying to show up for it. :)

James V. West

Great advice from Will. He's been doing this for quite a while, so listen to him!