News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ygg right now part 1

Started by Christoffer Lernö, September 08, 2002, 05:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoffer Lernö

Ygg - a quick system overview

(* indicate rules which is currently under much consideration whether they fit or not)

Components

Stats
Classes
Class abilities
Skills
Un-skills
Moves*
Magical Spells & Stuff
Demonic Taint
Level
Weird
XP

Stats

Stats for characters run from 4-7 for humans. Mostly. However 4, is average for normal untrained humans. 3 is slightly below average. 7 is considered extremely well trained. Stats can be increased up to 8.

Stats are considered "average skill performance", so usually stats are used instead of skill ratings.

Classes

Classes represent profession packages as well as background for the character. It includes abilities and skills which are associated with the profession.

Class Abilities

These vary from skills "pyroalchemy" to abilities "shapeshifting ability" to psychological traits "Strong Sense of Honor" all these abilities are increasing together with the class, and are considered to be on the level of expertise the level indicates.

Skills

Aside from the class abilities, character may learn any number of additional skills. Usually no skill is needed to attempt an action. It is assumed the character is reasonably trained in most areas associated with his class. The relevant stat is instead consulted and assumed to indicate the general level of ability. However, the skills may be learned for two reasons: to represent exceptional skill at a specific action or to allow for performing the skill at all. In the former case the skill once learned is used instead of the stat.

For example, a character with stat 5 in movement may train in long jump. The trained skill will start at 6. This can be again trained to increase.

Untrained skills which has no basic stat start at 1.

Un-skills

A player may declare his character unskilled in a action which usually would be covered by a stat roll. For example one character might not be able to swim. That character would write down his lack of skill at swimming.

Moves*

As the character increase in levels they are allowed to create signature attacks and moves. Although usually they are special kind of attacks, they can be pretty much any combination of actions.

Moves are constructed out of keywords, here's a short list as an example:

reflection
spark
spiral
soul
cannon
storm
winter
triple
flash
violent
ghost
shadow

Starting with a single keyword and a basic description of the move, or two keywords, they form the first special move.

For example: "Flash Palm" for an unarmed palm strike move.

This has non-martial implementations too. For example, a riding maneuvre can be called "Storm Switchback" or whatever.

A 2-word special move costs needs a combat success margin of 2 or equals a 1 point advantage in case of a skill test (these terms will be more obvious later)

Every level a player can either add a keyword, creating an even more advanced move, or start creating a new one.

Every additional keyword means a single extra effect and a cost of 2 points of margin to perform.

Magical Spells & Stuff

Demonic magic is roughly divided into Spells & Summonings and Powers.

Powers are abilities the character has and can use immediately without any "calling" on extra powers. They are all fueled by demonic power, just like the spells and the summonings, but the difference is that these are not external things, but skills the character has learned. There are a number of Powers to choose from, they are paid for in form of permanent taint. Powers can be learned to more advanced forms. The expression of the Powers are usually more or less personal.

Spells & Summonings on the other hand are magic only paid for when used. Spells range from wards to magical incantations and similar. Some are ritual in use. However, all spell effects are identical no matter who use them, there is no personal differences in their effect. The spells are easy to learn compared to powers, but are fewer. Ever non-magicians can learn some of the basic wards and incantations.
Summonings are also ritualistic using the names of the demons to be summoned. A character usually only know a few types of demons to summon. Both summoning and spells can be considered to be pretty mechanical.

Demonic Taint

Demonic Taint is what magicians pay for using demonic magic. The more magic a sorcerer uses and the more Powers he/she has, the more corrupted.

Corruption will manifest itself in permanent demonic disfigurations and other effects. The onset of corruption can be delayed by using ritual scarring and tattoing of sealing runes, as well as magical iron masks, bracers and other items fused with the flesh of the mage. The sorcerer may also ritually amputate parts of his/her body to reduce the accumulation of demonic taint in the body.

A fully corrupted sorcerer will in effect be a demonic being, unfortunately without any of its former magical powers.

Level

The level works as a counter. You level up, you get some points to increase stats and combat abilities with, you get to make a new move, you might raise the maximum of your Weird and you get a bunch of Riskbreakers*.

That and all your class abilities are supposed to be at a higher level as well.

Weird

Weird is what Ygg calls the Fatepoints. With Weird you can succeed a 50-50 roll even after it failed (but you can't succeed if there was no roll to begin with), you can avoid taking damage in a round (you just get battered up and bruised) and so on. Basically, anything you had a chance of avoiding or succeeding with a HELL OF A LUCK you can avoid/succeed by paying 1 Weird after it happened.

Your Weird is fully replenished when your adventure is over.

XP

Yes, have level, have XP. XP is awarded for succeeding with the scenario, for doing dramatic and interesting things, for succeeding against the odds, for sacrificing or potentially sacrificing oneself, for quick thinking and for overcoming difficulties (which includeds winning battles).

... second part coming later.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

Andrew Martin

Quote from: Pale Fire
Weird

Weird is what Ygg calls the Fatepoints. With Weird you can succeed a 50-50 roll even after it failed (but you can't succeed if there was no roll to begin with), you can avoid taking damage in a round (you just get battered up and bruised) and so on. Basically, anything you had a chance of avoiding or succeeding with a HELL OF A LUCK you can avoid/succeed by paying 1 Weird after it happened.

Your Weird is fully replenished when your adventure is over.

Would Wyrd be a better choice?
Andrew Martin

Christoffer Lernö

Quote from: Andrew Martin

Are you talking about the RPG by Scott Knipe or just the alternate spelling of Weird? I was thinking of Wyrd too, I have yet to decide what to go with.

On another note: the way class abilities works are rather vague at the moment. It's been discussed here on the forge but I'm still not totally satisfied with the way it works. I think I have decent feeling of what I want though so I'm just looking around now for a solid implementation of that.
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Andrew Martin

Quote from: Pale Fire
Quote from: Andrew Martin

Are you talking about the RPG by Scott Knipe or just the alternate spelling of Weird? I was thinking of Wyrd too, I have yet to decide what to go with.

On another note: the way class abilities works are rather vague at the moment. It's been discussed here on the forge but I'm still not totally satisfied with the way it works. I think I have decent feeling of what I want though so I'm just looking around now for a solid implementation of that.

The alternate spelling, though looking at Wyrd the RPG would be a good idea as well. :)
Andrew Martin

Walt Freitag

Stats

Defining the stats as average skill performance rather than as innate physical/mental characteristics is a subtle but important and I believe useful distinction here. This should work out rather well in the context of the rest of the system.

If the cost to increase stats is anywhere near comparable to the cost to increase individual skills, expect to see lots of maxed-out stats at higher levels. Especially since it doesn't take many points to max out a stat.

You could allow for more individuality by letting players define areas of relatively better or worse performance in the range covered by the stat. For example, I perform pretty well on intelligence-based tasks, but if you look closer you'll see that I prefer to solve problems in a deliberate (read: slow) manner. So I could specify that performance from my intelligence stat is +1 when I have plenty of time, -1 when under severe time pressure. Someone else might be +1 for language tasks and –1 for mathematical ones, or +1 for intuitive insight but –1 for linear logical deduction.

You've mentioned elsehwere that you want the stats to be rolled, rather than e.g. have points allocated at char gen. Don't players usually nullify random stat rolling, via house rules or massive fudging, so they can play characters with a stat distribution that fits their character concept?

Classes and Class Abilities

Do I infer correctly, then, that class abilities have no relation to stats in their acquisition, advancement, and use? That should work out just fine. (Since stats are average skill performance, class skills are simply exceptions that aren't part of that average.) You should use this fact as a key guideline in deciding which abilities gamewide should be class skills. For example, it would look a little strange if Lifting Large Rocks were to appear as a class skill and therefore had no connection to any strength stat. But you could make a pretty good case for Archery Marksmanship being a matter of long (largely mental) training and endurance conditioning of specific muscles, and therefore having no connection to any overall strength or agility stat, which makes it a good candidate for a class (profession) ability.

Do you plan to have stat minima or maxima for class? (Not recommending that, I'm just curious.)

Skills

If my movement stat is 5, and I train in long jump, is my trained skill 6 or is it [movement + 1]? In other words, if I later increase my movement stat to 6, does my long jump skill increment to 7, or does it stay at 6 (causing me to effectively lose the benefit of the long jump training)? What happens if the stat decreases (due to magic, perhaps)?

The skills that don't relate to a stat sound very expensive because they must be bought all the way up from zero. What sort of skills do you see falling into that category? (Perhaps, class skills from other classes?)

Un-skills

Besides un-skills indicating a total lack, you could also allow for partial un-skills that are either at a fixed value below the normal stat value (e.g. my movement stat is 5 but my long jump ability is fixed at 2), or at a specific minus relative to the stat value (my long jump skill is [movement – 3], so it's 2 now but it will increase if my movement stat does).

Moves

Are specific keywords associated with specific effects throughout the system? Or does a player decide which effects go with each keyword when creating the move?

If I have a move that I've advanced, can I still use the earlier versions of the move if I don't roll a high enough margin to use the full-blown advanced move? I think if I've learned Flash Palm, I should still be able to use if even if I've also developed the ability to do Summer Lightning Flash Palm.

A variation of that would allow me to use any subset of the keywords and effects in a move, so margin permitting I could use Summer Lightning or Summer Flash or Summer Lightning Palm with whatever combinations of effects those keywords imply. This would make advanced moves much more flexible, as each advanced move would actually represent a whole set of possible subset moves. (You would probably need to cap the total number of words/effects in a move, if you did this, or else it might become too powerful.)

Magic Spells

Do powers accumulate taint when used, or only when acquired? If there's no taint increment from using them, then powers sound like they have a big advantage over spells and summonings, even if the initial taint for acquiring them is high. The amount of taint is under the player's control and can be kept constant by not acquiring new powers. By contrast, it sounds like everyone using spells or summonings on a regular basis is doomed sooner or later.

Demonic Taint

In order to avoid all powerful spellcasters in Ygg looking the same (tattooed guy with iron masks and bracers, nicknamed "stumpy"), let me suggest some other possible (and potentially interesting for plots) ways of controlling or delaying corruption.

Daily Rituals: Corruption can be staved off by performing (nonmagical) daily rituals. This can only delay, not dissipate, the effects of taint. Taint gradually returns each day the rituals are not performed. The more taint is being staved off this way, the longer and more complex the rituals become, and the faster the corruption occurs if the ritual is not performed. One might encounter formerly powerful wizards who still retain all their powers, but must now spend all their time in rituals or else quickly become fully corrupted.

Shielded Locations: Remaining in certain types of dwellings (e.g. an iron keep, or surrounded by flowing water, or in a house suspended above the ground) will stave off taint. As with daily rituals,  the taint is only temporarily fended off and will return if the sorcerer leaves the special location. One might encounter powerful sorcerers who cannot leave their abodes for very long, or not at all. If such a sorcerer dies the taint may linger in and around the place.

Power tokens: Some magical items may be able to shield against, or absorb, taint. These can only be created by non-demonic forms of magic, and of course would be highly coveted by spellcasters. One type holds off a certain amount of taint while worn; if lost, the corruption returns. (Galadriel's Phial is perhaps one of these.) Another type might absorb a certain amount of taint, after which it becomes a cursed item that has to be gotten rid of, perhaps with some difficulty. (BTW, all those severed corruption-saturated sorcerer limbs could have interesting qualities as well.)

Strict Code: Corruption is reduced by committing to live by moral strictures – the more stringent, the more taint is reduced. Corruption returns instantly if the strictures are broken.

Confronting and Defeating Demons: Easier said than done, especially since using the demons' own power against them won't help. Success might also result in a loss of magical abilities.

Level

You mention "points to increase stats and combat abilities with." Class abilities increase with the class itself. But what about non-class trained skills and non-stat-based skills? Can these only be increased with riskbreakers? (That would be fine with me, but earlier you mentioned "additional training" for such skills which implies that points can be spent on them at level up.)

When doling out "a bunch of" riskbreakers, keep in mind that if used optimally (not spending any extra to stack the odds), without exceptionally bad luck, each riskbreaker given out will eventually result in a skill increase.

Weird

What if you use a weird point and a riskbreaker at the same time? Does this automatically result in a success and a skill increase? Perhaps you should phrase the rules to make it clear that in such a case, the weird point guarantees success but the skill increase happens only if the actual roll is a "natural" success.

Can you use a weird point on an Inspiration roll to guarantee 3 skill levels or 6 points of combat margin? I guess, no good reason why not.

Riskbreakers Again

You sort of imply that riskbreakers are used in situations with an element of risk. Your example is jumping over a chasm. But what if I just want to jump over a puddle so my boots don't get wet? Can I use a riskbreaker? If not, what is the minimum amount of acceptable risk? Jumping over a three foot deep pit? (Could twist an ankle, after all.)  How about a six foot deep pit? How about if it's full of rattlesnakes? How about (harmless) garter snakes? How about if I really really hate harmless garter snakes?

Situations in which a failed skill check risks immediate severe consequences are not really all that common. Therefore, unless you go ahead and allow riskbreakers for any skill attempt however trivial, you're requiring a lot of judgment calls about how much risk or importance the action must have to be worthy of a riskbreaker use.

The solution, I believe, is to reunite the riskbreaker mechanism with the Inspiration mechanism (at least insofar as skills usage). There should be an Inspiration involved in every use of a riskbreaker. "At risk of immediate death" as a near universally applicable Inspiration would cover the jump-the-chasm situations, but other Inspirations would apply to other situations. If I've somehow established that my character is highly passionate about keeping his boots dry, then maybe I can even use inspiration/riskbreaker when jumping the puddle. But otherwise, no.

Overall

Weird, Inspiration, and Riskbreakers seem to be crowding each other's turf a bit.

These two Ygg summary posts are a milestone. I'm seeing a lot of previous discussion coming together and getting a clearer picture of the system.

It occurs to me that player characters have a lot of ways to keep themselves alive in this system – assuming that Wyrd points and Inspirations can apply to the defense stat. It seems pretty easy to justify a "close to death" or "intense rage or hatred" Inspiration whenever you're losing in lethal combat.

There are lots of ways the Ygg mechanics allow for effective illusionism -- if you already know how to be an illustionist GM. By the same token, it could lead to some frustration in non-illusionist play (such as the "pinball sim" style encouraged by many modules). For example, if a GM by chance or by design puts in lots of obstacles with challenge levels one point higher than the best applicable player-character's skill, thePCs will just use up their wyrd and riskbreaker points and then get stuck. If the challenges are all one point lower, no drama and no chance to advance with riskbreakers. If I were writing modules for this system, I wouldn't even bother to put in numbers for challenges of obstacles or enemy stats. Instead, they would be filled in with things like "the challenge for jumping this chasm is the best PC long jumping skill + 1" or "the combat skill of this guard is one less than the best PC combat skill." And I'd try, somehow, to explain to GMs concepts like using negative feedback to know when to adjust the challenge levels higher or lower on the fly. (Maybe even illustionist monster listings, that give all creature stats relative to the player-characters' mean, min, or max stats, with specifically prescribed adjustments for how challenging an encounter you want to create.)

I could also see a completely different kind of play emphasizing sim exploration of character, with little or no illusionism, in which the challenge bar is set high everywhere and Inspirations (which are very powerful ) dominate and drive the play. This too requires certain GM mind-sets to be effective that may not be apparent to GMs who think they're just playing a simple hack-fest.

The upside: a system with such surreptitious use of modern elements that old school players won't be scared off, making some of the benefits of those elements accessible to them.

The downside: if its old school trappings fool GMs into running it like D&D (gamist or pinball-sim), it won't look any better than D&D. Cluing in the GMs becomes key.

- Walt

[edited to insert the paragraph about rolling initial stats, which I forgot to include when retyping the post for the third time, after one crash and one clear-key accident]
Wandering in the diasporosphere

Valamir

Quote from: wfreitagStats
If the cost to increase stats is anywhere near comparable to the cost to increase individual skills, expect to see lots of maxed-out stats at higher levels. Especially since it doesn’t take many points to max out a stat.

This is a common place where system balance breaks and is addressed in one of Mike Infamous Rants.

I'd suggest NOT allowing skills to be bought seperately (at least not many...perhaps just a couple "choose X other skills" as part of a Class package).

Instead I'd automatically give all players 1 skill for every point in Stat that they have.

Thus if I have Movement 5...I get 5 points of skills.
I might take Long Jump, Climbing, Sprinting x2, and Swimming.

I then do not buy Skills...instead, I just by Stats.  When I buy up my stat to Movement 6, I decide to take another level of Climbing.

In this way you avoid currency issues.

Christoffer Lernö

Thanks Walt for taking the time. I'll try to clear some things up.

Quote from: wfreitagIf the cost to increase stats is anywhere near comparable to the cost to increase individual skills, expect to see lots of maxed-out stats at higher levels. Especially since it doesn't take many points to max out a stat.

I expect this. There's an [evil] cap of two points you can boost your stat by though, so there will still be a distinct stat profile to the character.

This is.. well a little metaphor-breaking I guess. What I'm saying with the stat thing isn't really "I think of it as a skill" but more of "skills are not important enough to be bothered with". This is not clear from the text and might be a source of a lot of confusion.

It basically stems from my inability to shed all the legacy of skill systems I was brought up to use.

Fundamentally, what I try to avoid (but this draft still suffers from) is any dependence on actual, in-the-game-text-written, skills.

The players aren't supposed to look up skills to pick. Not at all

Instead I actually envision the character sheet as fairly simple. you have your class and the abilities which goes with that (not based on stats) and your stats and that's enough.

However you can also add skills as a kind of way to fomalize background abilities "but my character has been swimming since he was a child". It's surrender to more simulationist mechanics, and something I really should purge from the game.

Actually skills ought to look very specific and hopefully a little characterizing too. Like "Lift Uncle Joes Tow Truck" or "Swan Dive".

For balance purposes I think of skills as "worthless" bonuses. That means they can't be too important. But still they have to be important enough to make sense writing down. Oooh, I'm in a fix.

I like your idea of defining specialized areas of stats although I'm a little weary of putting in more rules (the less the better, but less is often not so easy in sim). This could be done descriptor style like in Vampire, right?

QuoteYou've mentioned elsehwere that you want the stats to be rolled, rather than e.g. have points allocated at char gen. Don't players usually nullify random stat rolling, via house rules or massive fudging, so they can play characters with a stat distribution that fits their character concept?

In a way. I was always thinking of giving the players chance to distribute the stats as they please after rolling. I never played any other way so I take those things for granted I guess.

Something a little unusual (unusual compare to rolling up D&D characters at least) comes from the rolling a D4 for every stat. That makes high stats a lot more common, and in fact removes lot of motivation for fudging and stuff.

On 3D6 you might get away with a character having 16, 17, 16, 16, 18, 18. Looks variable, right? On a D4 that would be having 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7. It looks a lot less acceptable, right?

It's not perfect. But I'm not a fan of buying stats. It always seemed you felt a need for min/max-ing.

QuoteYou should use this fact as a key guideline in deciding which abilities gamewide should be class skills.

Ahh, good observation.

QuoteDo you plan to have stat minima or maxima for class? (Not recommending that, I'm just curious.)

Actually if I go with the model of race+profession=class, then that does make sense. See, there are classes like "Troll Seer". Now if that guy only has Hex 5 he's not much of a Seer. I was kind of thinking of them as natural professions, given what they are talented at. But that thinking might be flawed.

The class/skill/abilities issue is still where I'm mixed up the most. That most games are using skill lists and my game tries to avoid that like the plague, leaves me few games to look to for inspiration. In fact pretty much only D&D comes to mind. Other skill-less games tend to throw out abilities as well, so they don't help much. Not that D&D is helping much either.

QuoteIf my movement stat is 5, and I train in long jump, is my trained skill 6 or is it [movement + 1]? In other words, if I later increase my movement stat to 6, does my long jump skill increment to 7, or does it stay at 6 (causing me to effectively lose the benefit of the long jump training)? What happens if the stat decreases (due to magic, perhaps)?

Good question. I think I raised that question myself in some other thread.

Actually I'm kind of mixed up here. I was considering both alternatives. Losing your improvement could be ok since my basic philosophy is that "skills are for decoration". The more "worthless" I make them for optimizing character performance, the better. The fact that they are eaten up by stat increase seems to reinforce that.

On the other hand it only half makes sense, and thinking of it as a bonus might be the way to go. On the other hand, that gives them an air of legitimacy I don't want. People will want to stack up on important skills they think might improve their odds and stuff. That's not really cool.

Something in the middle would be to give a 1/2 increase for every stat increase. In your case with Long Jump at 6, you get Long Jump at 6.5 (whatever that means). If you increase two steps there is actually no bonus at all. (Putting it at 7.0) On the other hand the maximum stat increase is two points.

If we use the last method, we can still "pretend" it's a bonus when it comes to stat decrease. So magically the stat goes down to 4, then the Long Jump is now at 4.5

(Which is funny because if we had started at 5 of stat it would have been 5, but the decrease is actually bigger in the former case, so it makes some quirky kind of sense)

QuoteThe skills that don't relate to a stat sound very expensive because they must be bought all the way up from zero. What sort of skills do you see falling into that category? (Perhaps, class skills from other classes?)

Honestly I wasn't thinking :) Still, the success is always related to the challenge. The latter should be subjective, and not objectively set.

Consequently, say that a skill would be "brain surgery", then a challenge of "1" would be something that a person just starting to learn brain surgery has a 50-50 chance of learning.. and so on. At a challenge of "4" we're already talking about a (average) professional surgeon.

This is a little unlike the pure stat rolls where a 4 is just average default roll. But that's only superficially. The challenge is encouraged to be set according to how easy the GM wants the characters to succeed and nothing else.

QuoteAre specific keywords associated with specific effects throughout the system? Or does a player decide which effects go with each keyword when creating the move?

It's totally free to combine any keyword with any effect. I tried to group things originally but I felt it was a lot of work for little fun and might actually be stifling the the player's creativity.

QuoteIf I have a move that I've advanced, can I still use the earlier versions of the move if I don't roll a high enough margin to use the full-blown advanced move?

Yes, that's exactly why propose them. Or actually, my motivation is twofold.

The first is what you said. The second is that you might actually want to save the Big Boom for later. This might be much more important if I incorporate the same system for magic effects.

Maybe you feel you don't need to use your Ultimate Frost Palm to kill the little teenie weenie hobgoblin. A simple Frost Palm will do. Maybe you don't have the margin, but you still want to do some cool stuff, so you pick the simpler version.

The second might be if you're fighting someone you don't want to kill. You don't want to use your mammoth 15 damage dice mega attack then, do you? So it's about regulating power level. I think that's a really neat effect, something I wanted to have: being able to not only do massive amounts of damage, but being able to go easy on people as well.

QuoteA variation of that would allow me to use any subset of the keywords and effects in a move, so margin permitting I could use Summer Lightning or Summer Flash or Summer Lightning Palm with whatever combinations of effects those keywords imply.

I don't know about that though. However, branching them would be okay. Let's say you learned Lightning Flash Palm.

You could then for 1 increase get then Summer Lightning Flash Palm, and for another 1 point increase the Frost Lightning Flash Palm.

You wouldn't need to build a new move from scratch to create the latter.

On the other hand your suggestion isn't unreasonable. I'll keep it in mind.

QuoteDo powers accumulate taint when used, or only when acquired?

Both, although there might be some powers with very cheap "activation cost", but that usually means they are rather trivial as well.

QuoteIn order to avoid all powerful spellcasters in Ygg looking the same (tattooed guy with iron masks and bracers, nicknamed "stumpy"), let me suggest some other possible (and potentially interesting for plots) ways of controlling or delaying corruption.

Haha :) Seriously, there might be other ways. In addition there is the question of permanent as opposed to temporary taint. But actually I was thinking of lot's of magicians actually accepting a lot of the taint and slowly turning demonic.

A method could be that every controlling measure would have less and less effect. So you might not always want to sacrifice limbs randomly. I hope the characters develop demonic traits as well as doing some personal "customization" to their personal appearance.

In my draft the actual reduction of taint is a little random. So you might cut of that arm (mmm... anyone remember Twin Peaks?) and get very little for it.

Pointing out the use for amputated demonically tainted limbs is a good one. Head of Vecna anyone? :)

But as for staving off taint through actions, I'm thinking that this actually lessens the sense of impending doom which they are supposed to have hanging over them. There should be a feeling of living on borrowe time.

QuoteYou mention "points to increase stats and combat abilities with." Class abilities increase with the class itself. But what about non-class trained skills and non-stat-based skills? Can these only be increased with riskbreakers?

I was thinking that you could train them a normal way. Quite out of order of level concerns. You don't need to level up to be a master boatbuilder. You just train and practice.

I was thinking of simplifying it a lot with basically a cost on how much you want to learn an at what level. The player simply reads off the cost and the time and that's it. It's done on "off-adventure time" of course.

QuoteWhen doling out "a bunch of" riskbreakers, keep in mind that if used optimally (not spending any extra to stack the odds), without exceptionally bad luck, each riskbreaker given out will eventually result in a skill increase.

Again, if I manage to get this properly it shouldn't be a problem as skills are supposed to be pretty worthless. So it doesn't matter if you have 50 skills or just 1. You don't get much of an advantage. That's the plan anyway. How to get it to work well in practice is a much trickier thing.

QuotePerhaps you should phrase the rules to make it clear that in such a case, the weird point guarantees success but the skill increase happens only if the actual roll is a "natural" success.

Yes it should be there.

QuoteCan you use a weird point on an Inspiration roll to guarantee 3 skill levels or 6 points of combat margin? I guess, no good reason why not.

Yeah, I think so. It would make sense.

QuoteYou sort of imply that riskbreakers are used in situations with an element of risk. Your example is jumping over a chasm. But what if I just want to jump over a puddle so my boots don't get wet?

Actually I was thinking of allowing them for whatever situation the player wants. The name is simply pointing to the best use for it. It's the "advancement in the middle" you suggested yourself in the "level" thread, sneaking its way into the actual rules ;)

QuoteFor example, if a GM by chance or by design puts in lots of obstacles with challenge levels one point higher than the best applicable player-character's skill, thePCs will just use up their wyrd and riskbreaker points and then get stuck. If the challenges are all one point lower, no drama and no chance to advance with riskbreakers.

I was originally going to address this a little too. As it is, there is no pointer to how the actually "challenge" to the character's skills work out.

For a complete reference, go to the RPG theory thread where I worked out the details of the rules.

The more detailed version is that you can take concessions to up your rating (if applicable). The GM can also (and is encouraged to) randomly set the difficulty level (maybe by a D4 or so).

So the difficulty in a module could be "D4+3" "D6+1", things like that. In addition, some difficulties are static (the chasm) whereas others might be variable (discovering the ambush). The latter may be rerolled with a certain intervals. The GM can also simply set the difficulty, but this is mostly encouraged as a game-endorsed Illusionist technique.

(Hmm, does the above make sense?)
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member