News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ygg Demonic Corruption

Started by Christoffer Lernö, October 05, 2002, 09:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoffer Lernö

Ok, for you who don't know anything about Ygg magic here's the short rundown of the situation:

Ygg is fantasy. Human mages uses demonic magic which taints their soul essence. That in turn has as an effect that they start assuming demonic form externally as well. When the transformation is complete they are basically completely transformed into demons, but they lose all their magical powers in the process. To hold of the corruption, the mage can brand themselves with sealing tattoos, bond magical iron fetters to their body and/or sacrifice body parts.

Thus far it sounds pretty doom and gloom, but that's not really what it is. What really is the point that the transformations and voluntary self-mutilations adds a certain colour to the magicians. We're not talking about mumbling old men in long robes in my game. We are talking about demonic sorcerers. In addition it serves as a game balancer, because using a lot of magic gives a lot of taint.

To sum it up, Ygg demonic magic (the one humans usually use) give taint which in turn gives demonic corruption serving two purposes:

* Colour to the characters since they look pretty weird but probably cool
* Limiting how much you want to throw magic around you (this is important because Ygg magic is pretty easy to use and there are few actual limitations to it)

But to cut to the chase:

My original scheme was having you roll up corruption as they happened. Initially you would not know what kind of demon you would end up looking like, but after the first few transformations it would be clear. After that the transformations follows a pretty set path.

For example you might be turning into a demon of the Malakai style. In that case you'd be looking into having:

Witch marks
Extra fingers/toes
White hair
Red eyes
Allergy to sunlight
Claws
Rotting bodyscent (50% chance)
Attracts bats (50% chance)
Forked tongue
Demon wings

The problem is that some of these might be really cool for your particular character, and some just destroy the concept totally.

On the other hand, letting players choose might unbalance things as some demon changes might actually be more useful than others. I'm also afraid that choosing might encourage people to go crazy with the magic because they know the changes are something they think will look cool anyway.

Do you see the problem? On one hand we have "let them decide gives more colour" on the other "let them decide doesn't disuade them from using excessive amounts of magic".

And the latter would really be a problem. It should be like using spells in Call of Cthulhu with the players thinking: "Do I really really want to do this?"

I can post the list of demon types I thought up so far if that is helpful.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

Kester Pelagius

First off let me apologize if I am covering ground that has already been discussed in other threads.

That said...

Quote from: Pale FireOk, for you who don't know anything about Ygg magic here's the short rundown of the situation:

Ygg is fantasy. Human mages uses demonic magic which taints their soul essence. That in turn has as an effect that they start assuming demonic form externally as well. When the transformation is complete they are basically completely transformed into demons, but they lose all their magical powers in the process. To hold of the corruption, the mage can brand themselves with sealing tattoos, bond magical iron fetters to their body and/or sacrifice body parts.

Interesting.  Just one problem with this concept, as I see it.

What's the point of entering into a Pact with a demon to gain power if all that you need to do to gain a Demon's power (viz: become a demon) is find a Demon who is sucker enough to let you use their power?

Since the end result of Demonic Taint would be, essentially, transformation into a Demon (some Sorcerors may want this) what's the counter-balance?

Quote from: Pale FireThus far it sounds pretty doom and gloom, but that's not really what it is. What really is the point that the transformations and voluntary self-mutilations adds a certain colour to the magicians. We're not talking about mumbling old men in long robes in my game. We are talking about demonic sorcerers. In addition it serves as a game balancer, because using a lot of magic gives a lot of taint.

How is this different from "blood" magic?

Or Necromancy?

In most fantasy literature the Sorcerer entering into a compact with a Demon has some sort of trade off.  Their heart, blood, soul, life force.
Thus literally making the Sorcerers something other than Human from the moment they sealed the pact!

Quote from: Pale FireTo sum it up, Ygg demonic magic (the one humans usually use) give taint which in turn gives demonic corruption serving two purposes:

* Colour to the characters since they look pretty weird but probably cool
* Limiting how much you want to throw magic around you (this is important because Ygg magic is pretty easy to use and there are few actual limitations to it)

Some fatigue systems I have seen do pretty much the same thing.

Of course if you are looking for "color" and "tone" for the setting then I presume this all ties in neatly to your world background.  Which leads to the next question:

What is the rationale?  (a pointer to it in a previous posting, if you've already answered this, would be fine.)

Quote from: Pale FireMy original scheme was having you roll up corruption as they happened. Initially you would not know what kind of demon you would end up looking like, but after the first few transformations it would be clear. After that the transformations follows a pretty set path.

Ah, I think I see.

Your system essentially has the players using magic, say via Dragon Lines, and in turn the more they use it the more "spiritually corrupt" they become?

I think something like this has been done.  Not in Stormbringer (though that is entirely how magic works in that system.  Sorcery and pacts with demonic powers.)  But I seem to recall, long ago, talking or reading about a system that did something like this.

Maybe someone reading this will remember a system like that.  It might help you flesh your own vision out.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Christoffer Lernö

Quote from: ChrisWhat's the point of entering into a Pact with a demon to gain power if all that you need to do to gain a Demon's power (viz: become a demon) is find a Demon who is sucker enough to let you use their power?

Sorry, I didn't make that quite clear. I've posted it elsewhere earlier on but not in detail there either.

There is no pact.

Sorcerers simply tap energy from demonic dimensions. The conduit is their soul and the process taints it. As the soul starts to develop a demonic side, the physical body is twisted in accordance.

As the physical taint increases, it gets harder and harder to conceal them. This naturally also makes it difficult to interact with society which see them as foul unnatural creatures. Few know the truth.

For some that might be a small price to pay for power if it wasn't for the fact that once the transformation is complete, the sorcerer loses all magical powers.

You can think of it as potential energy. Demonic energy naturally flows into the world because it has less of magical energy within it. The souls of humans work as gates that can be opened and let the energy in. However, once a soul is completely infused with demonic energy, there is no "drop" in potential so no magic flows through the soulgate anymore.

This makes the sorcerer essentially powerless and stuck in a demonic shape. Since the demonic shape in itself usually doesn't have any special powers, that's often a Bad Thing (tm).

Compare with the "Burned-Out Mage" of Shadowrun.

Quote from: Pale FireHow is this different from "blood" magic? Or Necromancy?

There is nothing inherently evil with being a sorcerer. The problem is that using it you start to look as if you were. Individual spells and summonings might be "evil", but most spells and abilities are quite neutral - they can be used for both good and evil.

Quote from: Chris
Quote from: Pale FireLimiting how much you want to throw magic around you (this is important because Ygg magic is pretty easy to use and there are few actual limitations to it)
Some fatigue systems I have seen do pretty much the same thing.
Actually, I'd say that fatigue systems are pretty much a limitation.

Maybe it's more clear if I draw a parallel: Let's say the demonic magic aged people instead. Now using a little magic here and there, when it was really necessary could let you live a pretty long life.

On the other hand, you could also (maybe in an act of desperation) call down so much energy that you age 40 years in a few minutes.

Only in Ygg the cost is in taint and not in aging. And using it up won't kill you but make you into a powerless half-demon. And instead of getting older and weaker you're getting more and more revealing demonic changes.

Incidentally, if you did the "age 40 years" equivalent you'd probably be using so much demonic magic that spontaneous and usually very bad reality warps and eruptions of demonic energy would occur. The area would be tainted for a long time afterwards...

I hope this makes it a little clearer how it works within the context of Ygg? If you have questions I'd be happy to tell you more about the magic and the world of Ygg.
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

simon_hibbs

I think i'm missing the point of the demonic transformation thing a bit.

Quote from: Pale FireThus far it sounds pretty doom and gloom, but that's not really what it is. What really is the point that the transformations and voluntary self-mutilations adds a certain colour to the magicians.

I admit to being a bit disapointed when reading this paragraph.

How is this different from saying 'Thus far it looks like there's some neat game-world metaphysical backlash effect from casting magic that's deeply linked to the moral/mythical/metaphysical theme of the game; but in fact it isn't, it's just a cool visual effect for no particular reason..

Quote from: Pale FireThere is nothing inherently evil with being a sorcerer. The problem is that using it you start to look as if you were. Individual spells and summonings might be "evil", but most spells and abilities are quite neutral - they can be used for both good and evil.

What does 'demonic' mean in the world of Ygg? If 'demonic' magic can be used for good and ill, and it essentialy moraly neutral, why don't people all end up looking like angels instead?

If kind, generous healer magicians end up looking like demons too, why do people asociate 'demonic' form with evil? Aren't they just as likely to see it as being a great sacrifice that some people make in order to help others?

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

Christoffer Lernö

Sorry to disappoint you Simon, not much I can do about that though. The game is the ways it I think it should be I can't do it differently.

Now, a very common misconception is the Ygg demonic magic is the focus of the game. There are several types of magic and the demonic kind is simply one of them.

There do is a mythological background to why humans can use demonic magic, and that's because the (younger) gods used the human soul as a place to hide one of the 5 keys they used to seal this world from the demons.

The demons are extra-dimensional beings with varying powers, from insignificant to godlike. Anyway, they are bad business and so is the power they are built of.

As a consequence, using this type of magic corrupts the user - it is an easy and seductive power though.

So why do I say it is colour? Despite the subtle tragic motif of the Sorcerer - at least the heroic one usually played by the players - there is nothing I have put in there to seriously harm the gaming pleasure. You can play the sorcerer as efficient as an AD&D wizard if you like, the difference is that you won't be stopped from using magic by the rules, instead it is restricted by the finite amount of demonic energy you can use before your soul is consumed by taint. The visible signs of demonic corruption are supposed to work like warning signs, telling the player when he/she is letting the character race too quickly towards the inevitable end.

So what is demonic energy? It is a type of magical energy (there are different ones, they are all characterized by their semi-sentience and ability to affect other matter), which also befouls the user with demonic essence. Although there are no listed psychological effects, such may occur if the player wishes.

Am I answering your question Simon? It is "only colour" to me because it does not lie in the depth of the premise to me. The effects are merely outcomes of what demonic energy is. I choose this type of magic as the most influencial, because it a) makes sense for this type of magic to be easy yet have very little real inpact on the world and b) there is so many visible effects that could naturally occur with this type of magic. And visual stuff is important to me. I hate the trimmed down spells which are little more than an effect. For me, how a spell looks is as or more important than what it does.
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Peregrine

Palefire

You seem to be lurking arounbd Forge a bit more than the old Art of Gasme Design haunts.

As magic systems using taints are quite close to my heart right now I'll see if I can tackle your question. I passed over the same question myself a year or so ago in Wayfarer's Song - although I had an easier job because magic in WS is flavoured with intent and taints are based on the sort of magic you are channelling.

Thus is a sorcerer chanels healing magic he suffer's bittersweet healing taints. Destructive magic causes destructive taints. Magic assocaited with wolves will make a character wolfish in mind and body.

In Wayfarer' Song taints are rolled randomly to start with. The GM is encouraged to invent taints as the game progresses. Either way taints are  specifc to the type of magic being cast. This is key because although the specific taint is random the basic theme of the taint will not usually go against the grain of a character concept.

I also think you should consider implementing a 'soulburn' mechanic so that a player can choose to stop casting magic before they are tainted. Careful sorcerers who use magic with strict moderation should be tainted less than sorcerers who weild power with glee abandon.

Now as for your system - let me follow the lines of one querry above? What makes angels different from demons? Every religion or mythology that has 'demons' has some kind of counter balancing good spirit. We have angels in Judeo-Christian belief and Islam. There are Asari (Spelt right?) in Hindu myth. Other enlightened beings inhabit Budhist and Shinto teachings.

Remeber however that a lot of religions (arguable) have no 'demons' at all. Norse, Egyptian, Greek, Maori, Aztec, most ethnic African religions blur the line between divine and demonic.

Hel is the daughter of a god. Hades is a god. So too is Set and Anubis. In Maori myth the 'god' of oceans Tangaroa acts more like a demon to fishermen who want to eat his children without permission. The 'god' Tane-Mahuta comes down quite harsh on anyone who murders his chrildren: trees or and birds.

One question I must ask is do demons even make sense in the cosmology of your world. Demons (christian) and trolls (norse) are out of place in the same world.

Back to the topic at hand...

Anyway assuming you have demons in some sort of Judeo-Christian sense you could (should?) have angels too. You could have whole hierachies of angels, archons, divas and demons. Perhaps depending on the sort of magic a sorcerer practices the type of spirutal entity he becomes will vary?

Perhaps magic could just be a conspiracy: a means for the two dynasties of heavan and hell to swell their numbers for the final battle at the end of days?

You also mentioned that demons in Ygg are perhaps some sort of extra-planar entity rather than a spirit linked to creation. So if you are set with the demon-as-alien-spirit thing you *could* write up a whole bunch of tables that have different taints of the same general theme. Then, allow a GM to choose a table that makes sense in the context of the magic a sorcerer uses and won't destroy a character concept but still creates some uncertainty (and negative effects).

Also, perhaps make taints more subtle so that they are less likely to destroy a character concept.

Overall I think that some randomness is important in encouraging the sorcerer's player to ask: Do I really want to do this?

Tables allows you include one or two 'nice' taints', several neutral taints, and a bunch that are really problematic for a character.

Another thing is that simply explaining very carefully what will happen to a character who uses demonic sorcery BEFORE chargen you may encourage those players who have a strong and immutable character concept in mind to opt away from demonic magic altogether. The system as you are describing it appears more likely to appeal to players who enjoy a little chaos in their game.

I hope some of that is helpful. You may want to read over Wayfarer's Song to see how I've handled some of these problems. I can post a link if you don't have it already from my posts over on the Art of Game Design.

Chris

Christoffer Lernö

I don't know where the "angel" angle came fromI thought I already described what the demons are. Consider it a simple title so that the reader knows approximately what to expect from them. If I call them the Hlghtrruth, it's not as obvious. There's nothing judeo-christian about my world. There are no angels. Besides, the world demon comes from the Greek "daemon" (as I suppose most people here already know), so if the christians felt they could use that name for their evil spirits, why can't I use it for the evil godlike beings that was banished from the earth by the (younger gods). The name demon is also used to as a mere descriptive epitet. For example I've seen Fenrir called "the demon wolf Fenrir".

Your posting was very interesting Peregrine, I'll get back to it soon. This was just a very quick posting to clarify the setting a little.
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Peregrine

One good reason not to use the word demon is to avoid confusion.

If your demons are unique and significantly different from the usual image/concept of a demon that will come to a reader's mind when he/she reads the word then perhaps 'Hlghtrruth' *is* a better word becuase it is neutral - although I know you choose it in jest. It reminded me that Cthulu and Balrog are silly names outside the context of their settings. Invented names can make the 'demon' stand out from the rest of the usual evil spirits, and they can make a reader think 'hey I better pay attention this is something different.'

Some more questions:
If the 'younger gods' ejected the demons from the world could demons be called elder gods? Can 'younger' god magic be chanelled by human souls. If not, why not? Do people still worship demons? Did they ever worship demons? Also, how can evil energy from evil creatures ever do anything good like healing?

Incidently, I kind of assumed there must be a Judeo-Christian spin becuase of your list of taints: wings, aversion to sunlight, forked tongue, red eyes, stinking smell. Most of your taints sound very much like Medieval Christian demonic imagery. Might want to change that.

Looking over your posts you seem to get this kind of problem a lot - getting side tracked on setting issues when all you really want to know is whether randomly rolled or choosen taints would be preferable.

Just had an idea so here's a third option. Provide a list of taints - but - make it the GM's duty to choose the taint that a character gets. This way the GM can decide if a taint will disturb character concept too much. Or choose two or three taints randomly and allow the character to choose from *these* which one he 'wants'.

Chris

Christoffer Lernö

Quote from: PeregrineOne good reason not to use the word demon is to avoid confusion.
Well actually my naming philosophy is quite the opposite, and that is very deliberate and I guess something you like or don't like. Not much to do about that.
Personally I'm sick to death of invented names, concepts and most of all fantasy languages. I know not everyone shares that view, but I can't make a game that cater to every taste.

QuoteIf the 'younger gods' ejected the demons from the world could demons be called elder gods?
No, there were a kind of elder gods who initially resided in the world. These were immensely powerful beings, much more powerful than the current "younger gods". However, their task (unknown today) completed, they left for other unknown reaches of time, space and beyond. In the vacuum formed in their absence, beings from the outer realms poured into the world. The ravages of the times did not stop until the younger gods (although the humans simply call them gods) arrived and sealed the gates to the outer realms.

Or that was the old mythos anyway. It might change, everything changes with time :) It's not so very important in terms of the setting. The setting is not a set object but more of a space where the GM can define his own world. Because of that it's bad to have a set cosmology. If the mythos above eventually holds it will still only be hinted at rather than defined. It's better if the GM can create his own mysteries and hidden secrets from the time before men arrived. Too much mythos creates a stale mythology unless one truly makes it rich and varied. But if the mythos is so rich, the GM will be constricted by it despite all it's possibilities.

QuoteCan 'younger' god magic be chanelled by human souls. If not, why not?
The demonic magic is magic essence from the outer realms. The outer realms are polluted by demonic forces, ergo demonic taint. The inner realms, including the world itself also holds magic, but there is no natural surge of this magic towards the magic user. So although this magic can be used, it taxes the innate energy of the magician him/herself. Although practictioners of this type of magic exist, they are not very powerful and their magic ages them.

QuoteDo people still worship demons? Did they ever worship demons?
Why not? They not very different from the gods themselves.

QuoteAlso, how can evil energy from evil creatures ever do anything good like healing?

Actually, although demonic magic can be used to say close a wound and such, it brings with it a demonic taint. As such, a wound closed by demonic means would likely fester and go bad. Gangrene would set in and so on. Using demonic magic for healing is possible but usually a bad idea. There are some ways around it, but they are very costly.

QuoteIncidently, I kind of assumed there must be a Judeo-Christian spin becuase of your list of taints: wings, aversion to sunlight, forked tongue, red eyes, stinking smell.

That was one out of maybe 15-20 different demonic types, so don't get too hang up on it. :)

QuoteLooking over your posts you seem to get this kind of problem a lot - getting side tracked on setting issues when all you really want to know is whether randomly rolled or choosen taints would be preferable.

Yep, and not only setting issues. Maybe 1/3rd of my postings so far actually ended up discussing my question ;)

QuoteJust had an idea so here's a third option. Provide a list of taints - but - make it the GM's duty to choose the taint that a character gets.
Not a bad idea. Should have thought of it.
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Kester Pelagius

Pale Fire Said:
QuoteThere is no pact.

Sorcerers simply tap energy from demonic dimensions. The conduit is their soul and the process taints it. As the soul starts to develop a demonic side, the physical body is twisted in accordance.

I see where you are going with this premise.  (Maybe.)  But before I comment further let me just say that this explanation sort of leaves me cold.  <shrug>

What I mean by that is, since you are calling it "Demonic Taint", I would have assumed that you were looking for your magic system to be Pact based.  As opposed to "Elemental/Daimone" based.  Remember the "Demon" is evil.  The "Daemon" is a guardian spirit.  There is a difference beyond spelling.  A minor one to be sure.  But conceptually there is a difference, as I am sure you are aware.

QuoteDemonic energy naturally flows into the world because it has less of magical energy within it. The souls of humans work as gates that can be opened and let the energy in. However, once a soul is completely infused with demonic energy, there is no "drop" in potential so no magic flows through the soulgate anymore.

This makes the sorcerer essentially powerless and stuck in a demonic shape. Since the demonic shape in itself usually doesn't have any special powers, that's often a Bad Thing (tm).

Again the way you are describing things leads me to think in terms of Demonic entities, places--Crimson Hells, Pit Fiends, Demogorgon, Baraqiel, Semengelof <sp>,  etc-- and Pacts.

Maybe it is because you keep using the term "Sorcerer" and I've come to expect it to mean certain things in fantasy literature?

However, I think the term that may better fir in this regard may be "Mancer" for this type of magic.  Sorcerer just comes with too much preconceived genre baggage.  And I probably wont be the only one to think in such terms.

In my opinion I think you could simplify by relying on your premise.  After all if it is the "soul" that is being tapped, why not just call it such?  "Soul Energy" or "Spirit" maybe?

You may need to either A) redo your basic explanations to make matters clearer; or B) rename some of your current concepts slightly.  For instance "Demonic energy", as you have it defined here, could just as easily be renamed to "Dragon energy".  Of course that is also a loaded term, but one I am using only as an example.

My suggestion is this:  Call your magic what you want.  Name your system whatever you want.  Just describe things clear and consicely up front, especially if you are going to apply extant terms in new or unusual ways.

Kind Regards.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Kester Pelagius

Quote from: Pale FireThere do is a mythological background to why humans can use demonic magic, and that's because the (younger) gods used the human soul as a place to hide one of the 5 keys they used to seal this world from the demons.

I knew that must be it.  (The reason for the confusion, at least on my part.)  You've woven everything into the fabric of your world background.  Thus, reading the explanation divorced of context, it would seem confusing wouldn't it?

Sort of like if you were to give a child a Chinese Checkers board with no rules in the box to explain what all the marbles were fore.

Reading onward now.

Kester Pelagius

Quote from: PeregrineAnyway assuming you have demons in some sort of Judeo-Christian sense you could (should?) have angels too. You could have whole hierachies of angels, archons, divas and demons. Perhaps depending on the sort of magic a sorcerer practices the type of spirutal entity he becomes will vary?

Demoniac Divas.  The Bardesses of the 5th (?) Ring.  <smirk>

I like it!

On a more serious note.  If you (Pale Fire) are looking to include Angels I woudl suggest the following resource:  "A Dictionary of Angels" by Gustav Davidson.  It's pretty comprehensive.

Kester Pelagius

Quote from: Pale FireI don't know where the "angel" angle came fromI thought I already described what the demons are. Consider it a simple title so that the reader knows approximately what to expect from them. If I call them the Hlghtrruth, it's not as obvious. There's nothing judeo-christian about my world. There are no angels. Besides, the world demon comes from the Greek "daemon" (as I suppose most people here already know), so if the christians felt they could use that name for their evil spirits, why can't I use it for the evil godlike beings that was banished from the earth by ...

Simple answer.  Because the word is loaded?

A "Demon" is an evil entity.  No matter how you cut it.  That's all most will see when they see the word.

A "Daemon" is, by definition, a "guardian spirit".  But people still will only think "evil" when they see the word.  But a few might pause to at least look the word up in a dictionary.

Now "Daimon" (or "Daimone") is an "elemental spirit or force".  The spelling of the word is sufficiently different that no one, not even me, would be confused.  And since we all get more confused the older we get that is a good thing, right?

Uh, what were we talking about? <must remember to turn smilies on>

Christoffer Lernö

Hi Kester. A lot of postings in a row there. Probably the best is simply make a single posting and quote the portions you're replying to if you want to avoid potential confusion (unless, of course, you're trying to up your number of postings ;) )

The reson I didn't give you everything in the posting was that if I had it would be a hell of a long posting. Besides I think there are some stuff already posted here or on rpg.net.

As for the name, if you're thinking about judeo christian demon images then that's good. There are so many varied interpretations that this material is extremely evocative. What I mean with no judeochristian lore is that you don't have hierarchies of angels, demons and so on. There are different "hells" in a way... there are many different demonic dimensions, all which are very different. But few people in the game world itself know the difference - including the sorcerers and sorceresses themselves, so I found it useless to actually have something to describe what particular demonic dimension your magic is tied to.

QuoteIn my opinion I think you could simplify by relying on your premise. After all if it is the "soul" that is being tapped, why not just call it such? "Soul Energy" or "Spirit" maybe?

It isn't, maybe I wasn't clear. What the sorcerers to is to use their soul as a conduit, a portal to the demonic realms and channel the demonic energy which is what passes for "normal matter" in those worlds.

QuoteDemoniac Divas

I guess that should be "deva", or am I completely mistaken. For some reason your bard thing got me thinking of the diva in 5th Element.

As for demon/daimon/daemon. I believe daimon and daemon and demon is pretty much different spellings for an identical thing, the greek name for the genious. When judeochristian lore adopted its use translating their concepts it slowly eclipsed their original use. However we mostly see "demon" used for the j/c version and daimon or daemon when people talk about the greek thing. However, that is not always the case.

I use the word demon for them exactly because the name is loaded.

BUT could we try to get back to the original point of this posting? (boy do my treads get side-tracked a lot). As a reminder it was:

"How do I on one hand keep the players afraid of the effects of the taint and on the other don't use it to destroy their character concepts, when their fear of taint is based exactly on that it might destroy their concept?"
formerly Pale Fire
Indie-Netgaming member

Kester Pelagius

Quote from: Pale FireHi Kester. A lot of postings in a row there. Probably the best is simply make a single posting and quote the portions you're replying to if you want to avoid potential confusion (unless, of course, you're trying to up your number of postings ;) )

I was replying to individual posts as I read them.

Didn't mean to confuse.

Quote from: Pale FireThe reson I didn't give you everything in the posting was that if I had it would be a hell of a long posting. Besides I think there are some stuff already posted here or on rpg.net.

I figured as much.  Guess I'll have to remember to scan back, look through old posts, see what I can find.

Quote from: Pale Fire...maybe I wasn't clear. What the sorcerers to is to use their soul as a conduit, a portal to the demonic realms and channel the demonic energy which is what passes for "normal matter" in those worlds.

Gotcha.

Soul = "Foci" conduit for "Demon Energy".

"Demonic Taint" = build up of toxins leading to mutagenic response.

More or less.  (?)

Quote from: Pale Fire
QuoteDemoniac Divas

I guess that should be "deva", or am I completely mistaken. For some reason your bard thing got me thinking of the diva in 5th Element.

You weren't the only one.  heh

Quote from: Pale FireAs for demon/daimon/daemon. I believe daimon and daemon and demon is pretty much different spellings for an identical thing, the greek name for the genious. When judeochristian lore adopted its use translating their concepts it slowly eclipsed their original use. However we mostly see "demon" used for the j/c version and daimon or daemon when people talk about the greek thing. However, that is not always the case.

Believe it or not you are partially correct.

I wont bore you with trying to explain why except to say I've actually looked all this up, once upon a time.  It actually appears that way in dictionaries.  (Good ones at any rate.)

Great cop out to avoid long winded explanations, eh?  :)

Quote from: Pale FireI use the word demon for them exactly because the name is loaded.

BUT could we try to get back to the original point of this posting? (boy do my treads get side-tracked a lot). As a reminder it was:

"How do I on one hand keep the players afraid of the effects of the taint and on the other don't use it to destroy their character concepts, when their fear of taint is based exactly on that it might destroy their concept?"

I'll take a proverbial shot in the dark on this one.  (Hope my comments are pertinent to your system.)

1)  Every time Manc.. Sorcerers ;) "over use" their power have them make a roll verses... well "Aquiring Taint" for lack of a better term.

2)  Have Taint be something that builds up quickly all at once (for those power spells) but slowly over time, thus allowing it to be manageable with "Cleansing" or "Healing" of some type.  Or maybe just abstinance from using Tainting magics.  (But for a looong period of down time.)

3)  Anyone else?

I think the key here is that the best way to balance what you are wanting to achieve is by having a lot of small little things going on around the underlying mechanic.  Aim for a good balance between positive and negative aspects of using the power in question.  Reward players for *positive* use but royally ream anyone who is going to *abuse* or out right *misuse* their powers for nefarious ends AND...

Make certain you plainly state this in the rules.  Let the players in on the pros and cons, whatever you set them up as, and make sure the players understand micro management of their "Taint" to be sure the GM isn't
forced to have to take their PC away (or whatever) is *their* task.  

If you want players to be involved then get them involved with the rules.

Now if any of that is good advice is anyone's guess.

Edited for the typical "I messed up" reasons.