News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

the SGR Model - Adding the 4th dimension to GNS (LONG)

Started by RobMuadib, November 07, 2002, 09:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobMuadib

Hey all

Being that I am back into working on my game, I thought I would post my
theoretical model deal from back in the day. I call it SGR, which basically
is a reinterpretation of GNS with regards to its use as a design tool,
focusing on the Distribution of Power. Which is my pet topic these days.

My essential contention in with regard to this is that RPGs must be
designed with an explicit understanding of the distrubition of power among
the participants, and that explicit understanding must be conveyed to the
participants via the games language. Second, the fundamental focus of an
RPG is character, and the games language must provide the means for
Character to be constructed such that it is primary means to engage in
each mode of play.

That is, this theory is in support of design that make the Social Contract explicit and part of the game language. So here is what I had developed so far.

The SGR model of Role Playing Games. 0.3
=====================================

INTRODUCTION
=======================================
This document is a work in progress, in which I hope to formulate a paradigm-shifted model/theory of Role Playing Games. I say paradigm shifted because the ideas presented here were developed by me in studying the GDS, GNS, and GENder models, and applying them to the design of my own RPG.

The GDS model, or RGFA threefold comes from the posting of John H. Kim and several other posters on the Usenet newsgroups rec.games.frp.advocacy, it can be found on the web at http://www.darkshire.org/~jhkim/rpg/styles/index.html. The GNS model comes from the work of Ron Edwards, it can be found on the web at the
following url http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/gns/gns_introduction.html.
Finally the GENder model, which was promulgated in numerous posts by the posternamed "Scarlet Jester" on the critical hit forum of the Gaming Outpost, which can be found on the web at http://www.gamingoutpost.com/forums/index.cfm?fuseAction=ShowForum&forumID=7 .

The SGR model addresses several differences between the above-
mentioned models, Unlike the above models, SGR is focused on the way
in which in individual RPG, as evidenced by the whole of its rules,
distributes "power" among the participants. This model can be of course
be applied to actual play, and player goals by understanding how this
distribution of power affects the nature of the game for the participants.
And if necessary seeking out a game that supports the particular style the
enjoy, or changing the conduct of the game to support the style they
would most like.

BASIC DEFINITIONS
=============================================
RPG's are games in which the entertainment value for the participants
is derived from the concurrent telling of a story, playing of a game, and
exploration of a role via the dynamic interaction of two or more participants, acting in one or more distinct capacities, at least one of which is through the guise of character, which are defined by the responsibilities and powers granted that participant to facilitate or appreciate this dynamic interaction.

Note, not all RPGs are open-ended in their use. However, such systems generally have the potential for open-ended use by inclusion of additional material to the design. Further, though RPG's can be played solitaire, the dynamic interaction still occurs between two or more participants. However, in solitaire play, the  second participant is present only by proxy. This proxy participant takes the form of some pre-developed structure to allow the solitaire player to concurrently express a story, play a game, and explore a role.

If these elements are not facilitated for in the game, then the game is
not a Role Playing Game by definition, though it may be a game who shares qualities of an RPG, typically being that it provides one or two of the elements listed above.

MODES OF PLAY
====================

RPGs exist as a complex formal language, much like a computer programming language, which are comprised of the definitions, conventions, methods and procedures of play, and mechanics with which the participants use to engage in the three fundamental entertainments -- Story (S), Game (G), and Role (R). That is, to play the game as a role playing game.

Story(S) being the experience of telling an engaging story.

Game (G) being the experience of engaging in a structured
competition or challenge.

Role (R) being the experience of exploring an imagined reality.

These fundamental entertainments are referred to as a mode of play.

CHARACTER
Central to the play of a Role Playing Game is the idea of a
Character. Characters are the fictional entities played by the
participants and provide the vehicle for the participant
to engage in a mode of play. Character's are represented by
a collection of mechanical elements that provide direct
mechanisms to engage in each mode of play.

POSITION
============================================
Within each mode of play, you have a position, much like the position in team sport, i.e. quarterback, receiver, etc., defined by the rules system of the game, to engage in that mode of play. The position is defined in how much power you have to direct or control that mode of play for the other participants. These positions fall into 5 general categories, Observer, Character, Player, Guide, and Master

Observer position is defined by the fact that you aren't actively engaging in a particular mode of play, but are acting as an observer of that mode of play and possibly offering your appreciation of that play by the participants.

Character position is defined by the fact that you are able to engage in each mode of play only from the guise of a Character. In Story Mode, this would mean you would only react to the unfolding events of the story as the character involved. In Game Mode, you would only act to overcome challenges while striclty limiting yourself only to the knowledge and abilities and nature of the character you are playing. In Role Mode, you explore the situation or setting solely from the view-point of a character in that setting.

Player position is defined by the fact that you are able engage in each mode of play only as an interactive participant. In Story Mode, you react to your part in telling the unfolding story. In Game Mode, you act to overcome challenges based on the best use of the character's abilities, as judged by the participant. In Role Mode, you explore the situation or setting based on what interests you as a player.

Character position and Player position share an important distinction in that they have limited ability, as prescribed within the games rules, to direct or control the flow of play within a mode of play, and are subject to direction or control of another participant acting in either Guide position, or Master position.

Guide position is defined by the fact that are able to guide the direction and nature of play in each mode. In Story Mode, you are able to take advantage of game rules that allow you alter or introduce elements to the story being told beyond your position as a player or character in the unfolding Story. (i.e., beyond asking a Guide/Master if you know anyone in the city, the game rules give you binding power to say that yeah, I know someone from the City Guard, his name, is such and such... Thus introducing a  new character to the unfolding story.)

In Game Mode, you are able to take advantage of the game rules that allow you to alter elements of the game situation in your favor, beyond what can be accomplished by use of your character's abilties. (i.e. a common Guide Mechanic is the use of Hero Points, not only do you hope your character succeeds, you can use hero points to alter the odds in favor of your character, or even gain success outright, by using them, thus guiding the action.)

In Role Mode, you are able to take advantage of the game rules to alter or introduce elements of game setting or situation, or to explore elements of the setting other than as your nominal character.

Master position is defined by the fact that you control and direct play in each mode for the other participants in the role playing game. In Story Mode, you are prescribed broad powers by the game rules to introduce characters, describe settings, instigate events and otherwise author or direct elements of the Story being told. In Game Mode, you are prescribed broad powers to judge outcomes, resolve disputes and control and manage the oppositional elements of the Game being played. Finally, in Role Mode, you are prescribed broad powers by the game rules to define the nature of elements of the setting and situation and establish the nature of background in which the exploration of Role occurs.

Each Role Playing Game, then, presents the participants with a specific
combination of positions they may take within each mode of play. This
combination of positions for each participant is referred to as the participants Stance. This Stance is provided by a unique rules system with
which to engage in each mode of play. Thus each game, by virtue of its rules system and their implied Stances, can be said to support a particular
type of play for the participants.

APPLYING THE MODEL
Traditionally, participation in a role playing game has been limited to one
player acting in Master position, typically identified as the Game Master, with the rest of the participants limited to Character or Player position,
traditionally identified as the Player Characters).

That is, the Game Master defines the scenario for the players, he controls and sets the opposition and challenges the players face, and traditionally he designs the setting and situation of the reality explored by Role.

Thus, in traditional role playing, the GM is responsible for telling the Story
to which the other players are an interactive audience. This is the classic
Dramatist model, or Dramatism. Now, newer games empower all the participants to act in Guide position, as well as player & character position within Story mode. This is what is referred to as the Narrativist model, or Narrativism

Also in traditional RPGs, it is the GM's Game, and he is the final arbitrator of what occurs. Only the GM gets to choose the opposition and set up the scenarios the players compete against. In other games, all the players are somewhat empowered to create challenges and other game elements for the players via mechanics that allow them to act in Guide position, consider Rune in which the other players control and define the opposition for each player.

Finally, in traditional RPGs, it is the GM's World, and he gets to design
everything, while the other players are limited to exploring these elements of Role only in Character/Player position. The GM designs the setting and situation, which the other participants explore.

Here is a summary of some evidenced positions within each mode of play.

STORY MODE PLAYER POSITIONS:
===========================================
Audience Position - you are appreciating to the story being told by
the participants.

Actor position - you take part in telling the Story only from the guise of your character.

Author position - you take part in the Story, driving your character towards particular story elements and scenes of interest.

Director position - in this position you take part in the Story directing and
introducing story elements towards a particular story goal.

Auteur position - in this position, you control all elements of the unfolding story, with the other participants subject to heavy direction.

GAME MODE PLAYER POSITIONS:
===============================================
Fan position - you are appreciating the unfolding gameplay by the participants.

Avatar position - you are playing the game from the guise of
the character, with the intent of simulating the character's performance
against some challenge as represented by his knowledge and abilities,
and inclinations.

Token position- you are the playing the game with the intent of using
your character's abilities and knowledge to their best advantage.

Referee position - you are controlling or directing the game for the other
participants in a fair and impartial manner.

Adversary position - you are controlling or directing the game with the intentof defeating the other participants by using the challenges presented in the game to best advantage.  (The classic Killer GM)

ROLE MODE PLAYER POSITIONS:
==========================================

Tourist position - you are appreciating the situation, setting, and
world being explored by the participants.

Immersive position- you interact with the situation, setting, and world
being explored solely from the standpoint of character.

Explorer position - you interact with the situation, setting and world
being explored based on the participants interest.

Tinkerer position - you interact with the situation, setting and world being
explored, using the Guide position mechanics available to you to add or
designing elements you find of interest.

Designer position - Designing the situation/setting being explored by the other participants using the means available in the rules system. (Most RPGs with a specific setting, Seventh Sea, World Of Darkness games, Abberant, SLA Industries, Fading Suns, OrkWorld, Blue Planet, Ars Magica,etc.  Generic setting instances include Alternity, D&D 3rd Ed., RuneQuest 3rd Ed, HarnMaster, Traveller etc.)

Creator position - this level of the Designer position relies upon the existence of an explicit design architecture allowing the Designer to create the entire world, situation, and setting to be explored by the other participants using the tools present within the rules system. (Aria being the premiere example for fantasy , HERO System and GURPS being generic approaches to this methodology. .)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is about as far as I got with it back in the day. But I think it provides an interesting design perspective. Anyone have any comments, questions or suggestions as what to do with this?

Rob Muadib.
Rob Muadib --  Kwisatz Haderach Of Wild Muse Games
kwisatzhaderach@wildmusegames.com --   
"But How Can This Be? For He Is the Kwisatz Haderach!" --Alyia - Dune (The Movie - 1980)

Le Joueur

Hey Rob,

Great article!  I've always liked the SGR role-model, but I couldn't think of what to do with it.  It was hard to see 'what it is for;' now, having completed my own, I have a better idea.

Let me take a moment to examine a couple of other models 'from the outside.'  Ron's GNS carefully points out that it is for the description of single events practiced by actual people, mostly for the diagnosis of dysfunctional gaming.  Our Scattershot model is a self-selection system to align people's expectations 'going into' a game.  As I understand it, the SGR is a way of formalizing 'unwritten roles' within the social contract as it applies to gaming.

That last part has a "suggestion as what to do with this."  In the "Applying the Model" section, you speak strictly about tradition, therein lays your potential avenue.  Finally, at the beginning of this post you indicate more clearly 'what it is for,' "RPGs must be designed with an explicit understanding of the distribution of power among the participants."  That's exactly what you need to do.  But first, get beyond the traditional.

As you work out what your game is about, clarify the specific Positions you want in that game only.  Think about the ideal of play.  Don't worry about being too restrictive, narrowing the social contract during a game is exactly what the SGR sounds like it's about (id est, don't go into 'how everyone can have their own pie,' concentrate on one flavor).  Once you pick the Positions you want used in your game, describe only them in the 'how to play part.'  Use the SGR to inform your description, but don't go into any detail about Positions that won't be used (unless as a appendix); keep it simple.

Later, you can write other games for other Positions as you desire.  Each will become simpler as time goes on because of the SGR model and as a 'product line' the SGR will hold them together better (allowing people who like your games to play different Positions simply by picking up another of your games).

Fang Langford
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!