News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Inexhaustible Magic

Started by Bluve Oak, March 04, 2004, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluve Oak

Greetings.

I'm looking for an RPG that has inexhaustible magic. By this I mean a system where you can cast spells all day long without limitations or anything becoming depleted. So many systems place restrictions on magic users (probably as an issue of balance) like; ageing of the mage, mana depletion, one spell per day etc...

I haven't read a lot of fantasy but this is not usually how magic is presented in the stuff I have read. I don't wish to start a discussion on how various magic works as there are plenty of good web sites for that. All I want to know is: Is there an RPG where the magic users can use inexhaustible magic with it not having any depleting effects?

Thankyou.

Demada

Well... This is somewhat vague. There are several systems, IIRC, where very low power magic can be done limitlessly. In Nobilis, you can perform miracles for free up to a certain level, depending on your ability. In The Pool and oCtane there are no specific magic mechanics, just narrative control, so I guess you could do magic without drain in those systems.

What power level of magic are you talking about? Standard fantasy fair, ie fireballs, magic missiles; more low key; or high level, reality twisting craziness?

BTW, I can't really think of a fantasy book where Magic is completely "free". Gandalf uses it incredibly sparingly for this to be the case in Tolkien, Elric is greatly drained whenever he does it, using the One Power in the WoT is definately taxing...

Bluve Oak

As for power level I am refering to the very typical standard fantasy fair. For any level of power from very low, like a small fireball, to extremely powerful, like destroying a mountain. The level isn't important - just the fact that it is not draining. And I do mean typical fantasy systems so I am avoiding games like The Pool.

Gandalf does use magic sparingly but why? Doesn't it just tire him a bit in the same way as wielding an axe about would? There aren't too many systems that include penalizing a fighter character every time he wields his axe.

I don't mind characters spending hard earned points on acquiring magic, but once it is gained, no matter what the level (ruling out Nobilis I think), it doesn't have any adverse affects on the user whatsoever.

Any clues?

Ole

I think you started this thread in the wrong forum, but anyway...
Isnt power level a limitation?
Ars Magica might be the closest thing, there are limitations, namely fatigue, tied to ability and power level. However there arent any of those clumsy limitations from the infancy of roleplaying.
Oh, and everyone involved in physical combat checks for fatigue after every round, but I havent actually seen this rule played as written, as people would start dropping unconscious after a minute or two of combat.
Ole Bergesen

Shreyas Sampat

For future reference, "looking for a system" threads seem to belong in the RPG Theory forum. That's where the other two recent threads of this form are, anyways.

Bluve Oak, there are a multitude of games that handle magic in a non-depleting manner (or, at the least, not depleting contrastive to other behaviors. (Incidentally, I don't think that it's important to this thread to discuss magic in the source material; we're talking about meeting your play goals, not duplicating some source.)

Nobilis, as Demada cites, doesn't distinguish Domain miracles (those that look "magical" from, say, the standpoint of an Amber character) from miraculous actions of the other three stats; it isn't handled contrastively. (I think that the Nobilis system is a very strong frame for lower-powered games as well, even though the default setting for the game is "conceptual demigods".)

If you're looking for a "typical fantasy system", by which I read "similar to the model set by D&D and its cohorts", you may be in for a long, hard search. Historically, these systems have held magic to be a privileged tool capable of doing many things that mundane action cannot, and so they put it under a very tight leash. I can't come up with one off the top of my head which doesn't do this, though examples may exist.

I do have one recommendation: even though the HeroQuest system is rather atypical, it doesn't put magic on this "special resource" pedestal, and I think you would get some benefit from taking a look at it. You may also want to examine Donjon, which, again, is rather atypical, but at least makes a superficial effort to look like D&D.

(Cross-posted with Ole.)

Halzebier

Feng Shui is not a Fantasy RPG, but might fit your bill nonetheless as its various timelines (or 'junctures') also cover medieval fantasy of a sort.

IIRC, magic-users have a skill called Sorcery, which functions like other combat skills, such as Martial Arts, e.g. the more people you are trying to kill simultaneously, the more difficult it is.

Contrary to Martial Arts, Guns etc., a fumble will result in some backlash damage, though.

But it is inexhaustable.

Regards,

Hal

Bluve Oak

* Heroquest
* Donjon
* Feng Shui
* Ars Magica (free)

Thanks for the tips. Any more freebies?!?

Christopher Weeks

It's funny that no one has mentioned Sorcerer.  You're not exactly casting spells, but otherwise, your demonic effects don't produce the kind of drain you're talking about.

I would love to read a short description of how you envision play going in such a game.  What exactly would limit the rampant destruction of mountains, for instance?

Chris

Lxndr

But... Demons are limited in using their powers by their Stamina attribute, so while the sorcery is effectively unlimited, the "powers" gained from it through demons aren't.

Now Trollbabe magic can be thrown about all day without any ill-effects, as far as I'm aware.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Matt Gwinn

MAGE: The Ascension is the first game that comes to my mind.  Though not fantasy by design it could definetly be played that way.  MAGE has plenty of source books that have faeries, trolls, griffons and the like. Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade is basicly light fantasy and if I recall omits paradox.

,Matt Gwinn
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Paul Czege

The game Machineguns & Magic has a system which allows the spellcaster to keep casting spells until failing a casting roll.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

John Burdick

Hero and systems inspired by its power building method don't put limits on magic unless you want. I don't know Hero, so I'll use another example. Big Eyes Small Mouth and Silver Age Sentinels both use a simplified version of powers. These games treat super powers and magic the same way. A power can have a limitation "costs energy to use" that saves some points, but nothing about the rules requires the limitation.

John

pete_darby

And, for GURPS, S John Ross' Unlimited Mana System. It carries with it limitations in the form of higher risk of transdimensional disaster... but doesn't ration out the power. Nicely restores some sort of flavour to a particularly mechanistic magic system.
Pete Darby

Bluve Oak

QuoteI would love to read a short description of how you envision play going in such a game. What exactly would limit the rampant destruction of mountains, for instance?

What exactly would limit the rampant destruction of mountains, for instance? Common sense! :-)

No seriously, this is really my point, I was envisioning a tactical, thoughtful approach to magic - particularily battle magic. So that play wasn't just a case of "use your most powerful spell until your mana runs out" type o' thang. I was thinking of the right type of spell for the right type of situation/enemy.

In this case: the rampant destruction of mountains, I would say why not? if it has a purpose for a wise, intelligent sorcerer.

I like the Unlimited Mana idea, though still a limitation, it is nonetheless flavoursome.

I think I might go ask a few questions at the Heroquest forum...

Deadboy

QuoteIn this case: the rampant destruction of mountains, I would say why not? if it has a purpose for a wise, intelligent sorcerer.

LOL!  Most gamers I've ever played with would blow up mountains just for shits and giggles, if allowed to do so indescriminately and with no limitations. "Wise and intelligent..." *snicker*
-Jim
Happy Nebula Adventures