News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Quick Pitches for Selling One Another's Games

Started by Tav_Behemoth, July 14, 2004, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tav_Behemoth

This thread is spun off of the Gen Con planning thread, but it might be handy for anyone who's helping a potential indie customer choose what game is right for them.

The three categories are:
- what is your game?
- how is it best pitched to someone/who is it for?
- how can it be cross-promoted with someone else's game?

Here's my own:

What is Masters and Minions?
MnM is a celebration of the monsters of the original RPG. Each classic monster (stirge, minotaur, and remorhaz in Summer '04; otyugh, mummy, and troglodyte in Winter '04) gets a Horde of new related creatures that develop its ecology and round out its threat. Each book comes with a PDF that's hyperlinked to the rules of the world's most popular RPG, so the only  other things you need to play is dice, pencils, paper, and friends.

How is it pitched?
YOU: "What games do you like?"
THEM: "Well, I play / started out playing D&D / d20..."
YOU: "Check out Masters and Minions; it's a really innovative take on the classic monsters that made D&D great! Their tag line is 'You grew up, so did the monsters of the original RPG'.

NOTE: I bend over backwards to avoid saying D&D or d20 myself; if your tongue slips, don't worry about it!  You can also emphazise that this is *not* a d20 product [it's OGL], and contains inspiration for any edition of the game.

How can you segue into selling your own game?
YOU: "What do you like or dislike about D&D?"
THEM: "My hate of d02 knows no limit."
YOU: "Yeah, I agree with you! My game takes all the stuff you like and fixes all the stuff you don't in this way. If you want to use the cool ideas for monsters from MnM, but run them using a better set of rules, why don't you buy both games?
Masters and Minions: "Immediate, concrete, gameable" - Ken Hite.
Get yours from the creators or finer retail stores everywhere.

Keith Senkowski

Here is mine:

What is Conspiracy of Shadows?
Conspiracy of Shadows is a game about the search for the horrible truth and the consequences involved.  It is a complete role-playing game with all event resolution being based upon a simple die mechanic using six siders.  All you need are some friends willing to see how far they will go to learn the truth.

How is it pitched?
YOU: "Do you like the X-Files?"
THEM: "Umm, yeah.  Why are you standing so close to me?"
YOU: "Are you interested in a fantasy world without elves and wizards?"
THEM: "Sure.  Here, have a breath mint dude."
YOU: "Thanks.  Check out Conspiracy of Shadows.  It is neat game that combines X-Files type stories with a fantasy world based on Eastern Europe."
THEM: "Dude, stop crying.  I'm interested.  Tell me more about it."

How can you segue into selling your own game along with others?
THEM: Dude, do you have The Riddle of Steel?  I read that game is really cool.
ME: Yeah, we got copies.  My personal favorite part of the setting is the part of the world that is based on Poland and Lithuania.  I totally dig the non-standard fantasy stuff.
THEM: Really?  That really surpises me when your name is Senkowski.  Just kidding dude.  I dig that stuff to.  What are you selliing?
ME: Well, if you dig non-standard fantasy and like the X-Files let me tell you about Conspiracy of Shadows....

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

smokewolf

I guess I will follow suit also:

But to be real honest, I will let others answer their own questions about how to sell it or sell others stuff. I operate on the fly best. So here is just the basic info for you:

What is The Swing?
Reality is like the swing of a pendulum. Sometimes it swings in one direction; sometimes it swings in the opposite direction. Sometimes reality is dragons and faeries, sometimes it lasers and computers. The Swing is about making your game into what you want it to be. The Swing is designed around the thought that a persons WILL can shape reality. If that is true then your characters WILL can shape the game. One main difference between this and other games is that instead of playing in the world after the change, you can create the change.

What makes The Swing unique?
The Swing uses The Step Game Engine, which produces one of the most realistic experiences. Combat is as real as it can be made. The way that skills are used also reinforces the idea of realism. This does not equate to complex, The Swing rules are presented in such a way that after 2-3 gaming sessions, they become easier than D20. That said though, The Swing is really more about role-playing, its just that when combat arises, it will feel real.

Character creation is about creating personas who are intended to last. Therefore, the creation process is extremely detailed and always a person to create a 3D being, not just numbers on a sheet of paper.

Oddly enough there is also Magick in The Swing. Magick is represented by existing real world entities, such as Wicca, Voodoo, Hermitic Arts, etc. As well as, real world organizations such as the OTO, MIB, etc.

Who is The Swing geared to?
The Swing is geared toward people who want realism in their games. It is for people who want to experience combat along with their characters. It is for people have wondered what it would be like to play a game before the cataclysmic event has happened. Or before the Evil Ones awoke. To play in a world with endless possibilities, a world that is up to those who play to shape, but begins exactly as the world is today.

But mainly, it is for people who want to play in a realistic modern setting, governored by realistic rules with realistic outcomes.

Quotes from Reviews
"...if you're looking for a reality based game steeped in the Western Mystery Tradition, this is the game for you...." - GamingReport.com

"A great deal of attention is given to the characters. Nearly 50 pages are dedicated to the base level of character creation, where you decide what sort of person your character will be. The game also focuses very much on the importance of playing the character as opposed to playing the dice or the numbers..." RPGNOW
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Matt Snyder

What is Dust Devils?
Dust Devils is a straight-shootin' Western that captures the spirit of Western storytelling. It is the RPG for Unforgiven or Spaghetti Westerns. Clint Eastwood all the way!

How do you pitch Dust Devils?
(1) Do you like Westerns? Dust Devils has awesome poker mechanics, and it's great for gut-wrenching games just like those gritty movies!

(2) This game, Dust Devils, is how Westerns should be done. It won an award for best indie RPG last year. Check out the playing card rules -- the poker mechanics are great for capturing the feel of a Western.

Cross-promotion
Have you checked out Sorcerer? Dust Devils was really inspired by Sorcerer's design. It's all about the Devil, about whether your character can redeem himself in the lawless West. These storytelling games can be really powerful and really fun for your group!

(Show 'em the book! The design helps sell)

What is Nine Worlds?
Nine Worlds is a game that mixes Greek myth with modern fantasy. It's all about playing a mortal who struggles between playing by the rules of the gods or making his own rules for the universe!

How do you pitch Nine Worlds?
1) "Is story really important to you? Cool. Nine Worlds helps your group build great stories, and it has awesome playing card mechanics for letting players narrate magical stuff happening all around their characters"

2) "If you like Neil Gaiman or Michael Moorcock, you'll want to check out Nine Worlds. It has all kinds influences from them. There are Greek gods and Titans, magical mortals, and world-hopping heroes."

Cross-promotion
2) "If you like Mage: The Ascension / Nobilis / Amber / Everway / Castle Falkenstein you'll like Nine Worlds. It has a fresh take what magic is and does, and the setting is really interesting -- there lots of cool Greek myth influences."

(In all cases, show 'em the cover -- the pictures and design sells thefar-out concept pretty well.)
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

philreed

Quote from: Matt SnyderWhat is Dust Devils?

Inspired by Jack Black in Hi-Fidelity:

"Dude, you'd don't own Dust Devils? Shhhh. Don't tell anybody. Here, let's hook you up with a copy."

I'm telling you people, you need this game.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Michael S. Miller

Please note these two threads:

talking points for My Life with Master

and

Talking Points for Sorcerer

I'll post stuff about With Great Power... here by early next week. Gotta get the thing to the printer first.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!