News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Dreamation 2005] Logistics of Explosion

Started by TonyLB, December 01, 2004, 04:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

We've got quite the crew of people showing up for Dreamation, to take up Double Exposure's offer of hosting an Indie RPG Explosion.  There are, naturally, a whole host of questions to be dealt with in setting up the table/booth/whatever.  As the least experienced con-goer (at least in a merchant capacity) I am the one least able to relax and know what things can easily be arranged, ad hoc, at the last minute.  So here I go with my big old list o' thoughts.

Layout

At the top of the Floor Plan are a set of suites called Brunswick A through C.  Those will probably be the Con Suites (with free food, etc.)  Our location will be directly below that on the map, between the Con Suite and the elevators.  Lots of foot traffic, and a nice open space.  Sweet.  Thanks DE!

I'm not clear on how tables are jockeyed within that space.  Maybe they're assigned by DE (which would be quite civilized) and maybe it's first come, first serve.  I'm assuming, unless told otherwise, that this isn't an issue worth worrying about.

I'm doubly unclear on how the little demo-tables around the room will be organized.  Becca has suggested that we might benefit from a schedule of smaller demos... but honestly, I like the idea of being able to spontaneously say "We've got some folks interested in game X, let's give them a twenty minute demo!"

I also don't know how many books, and what sizes, we're going to be selling at the booth.  I get the sneaking suspicion, though, that it's going to be a lot.  Perhaps more than can be comfortably laid out on the surface of a table.  Do any of you old hands have racks, or other display equipment?  

Should we (and by "we" I mean "I") be creating a banner that we can hang from the table?  With a Con this small and a space this good I assume that the sort of vertical and elevated banners they're talking about for GenCon would be ten different kinds of overkill.

Enticements

With people walking by on their way to other places we'll have a lot of chances to get maybe three seconds of attention.  Turning that into more solid interest is, IMHO, worth putting some thought into.

I am planning to write up a very small novelty game to give away.  Probably a 19"x11" sheet folded once, to make four printed pages.  Everybody loves freebies.

I'd love to hear other ideas.

Staffing

A formal schedule for staffing the booth will give everyone the freedom of knowing when they are needed and when they're free to either stay or go.  I can write up a first draft of such a schedule, making my best guess at people's arrivals, and avoiding their planned appearances.  If I don't hear by friday that someone is already doing that then I will go ahead.

This article points out some of the challenges that people can have in selling even their own games, much less anyone elses.  I could swear that I'd seen discussion of it here, but my search-fu fails me.  I expect to pick up a lot of people's sales pitches for their games by the simple expedient of listening carefully when they pitch it to a customer.  But I would also benefit from some guidance on what's most spectacular about people's games, and how I should pitch it.  Do we want to have write-ups of how to sell specific games, or even to get together and brief each other on how to pitch?  I know, this potentially makes the fun con into something more strongly resembling work.

Okay... Lots of questions.  I'll stop now.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

TonyLB

Just read in the other thread:
Quote from: HelvetianThat six-table space (two lines of three with ample space between them for moving around) between the elevators and the Brunswick Rooms are entirely yours.  There will be tables along the escalators on either side, of course.  And if you need more room, we'll certainly manage it.  I plan to put Tony D in the same location he was for DEXCON (the aisle on the other side of the elevators), since he seemed to do well there.  CJ is usually on that same aisle along with WEG.
So, long story short, we have a lot of space.  What should we do with it?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

John Wick

WD West is interested, but I need to know more. who all is gonna be there?
Carpe Deum,
John

Tav_Behemoth

We have a one-page game to give away, Treasure Isles; we can't sell it, since it uses components from (ahem) your gavorite collectible pirates game and your favorite settlers game, but it's a nice freebie.

Re: large areas of table space, we could set up the Dwarven Forge maze we had at our booth at SoCal, and use it to run any dungeon-type or maze-type demos we like (including Masters and Minions). It's eye-catching!
Masters and Minions: "Immediate, concrete, gameable" - Ken Hite.
Get yours from the creators or finer retail stores everywhere.

Jared A. Sorensen

JOHN! DON'T SPLIT THE BRAND, MAN!!!

I'll be there and I'll bring some Wicked Dead games if John ships some to me.

I have no interested at all in selling anyone's games (including my own) so don't get all teary eyed when I walk up to the indie games booth and keep on walkin'. I freakin' hate the whole process -- I'll do it on my own terms (ie: a Wicked Dead booth) but I just can't do the "schmuck waving his hands like a used car dealer" thing while trying to sell other peoples' games. I can't and  I won't and I'm going to hold my breath until Luke Crane stops running BW demos (which is never, natch).

But I'll, you know, stop in and do my thing...you know, to help out.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: Jared A. SorensenBut I'll, you know, stop in and do my thing...you know, to help out.

That's all any of us could ask of you, Jared. No one's asking you to do the used car salesman thing.

Except that you MUST* wear a really ugly tie. Or we'll kick you to the curb. Really.

* Unless you don't want to, that is.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!