News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Mayhem in Little Valley

Started by Jason Morningstar, December 12, 2004, 01:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Morningstar

I ran the Little Valley branch yesterday for two friends and it went reasonably well.

The characters were Brother Lazarus, who came from a strong, loving family and was a bit of a rake.  One of his traits was "Lustful d4", and his initiatory conflict involved resisting the temptation to make an inappropriate overture toward his alluring scripture instructor at the Dog's Temple.  He succeeded.  His partner was Brother Jebediah, who came from a border town overrun with unbelievers, and he had an undeserved poor personal reputation.  His stakes of his initiatory conflict were "Do I manage to comport myself as a righteous gentleman, even when goaded beyond reasonable endurance?".  Brother Jeb, alas, failed this test when openly taunted before the assembled congregation.  

They rode into Little Valley and sought out the Steward, who laid out the general problem and asked them to speak to his wife.  There was a conflict here, as they sought to tease out some specifics from the Steward about Sister Zillah's behavior.  

Next they spoke to Brother Cleophus, who implored them to speak to his new wife and "tell her to love me".  They then went to speak to Samuel Rutland.  Interestingly, they found the possibility of infidelity of great initial concern, even though this is a side note in the grand scheme of things.  Brother Samuel soon set them straight about the most urgent matter – the scandalous behavior of the three teenage girls.  They arranged to speak to Bethany, Abiah, and Deborah the following morning as a group.

This meeting did not go well.  The girls, with Bethany as ring-leader, were sullen and challenged the Dog's authority, mocking them as ignorant rubes.  The conflict between Bethany and Brother Jeb escalated after he slapped her for her impertinence, and Abiah and Deborah ran away.  Bethany confessed her "spirit marriage" and tried to convince the Dogs that they were mistaken, and that the King of Life had solemnified her marriage to the dead boy.  She initmated that they had an incomplete grasp of scripture.  

The Dogs at this point more than suspected demonic involvement, and dragged Bethany into the street for a little public interrogation.  As they accused her of faithlessness, a conflict developed – would Bethany show her true colors to the townsfolk?  She wept piteously, and swore she had nothing to do with demons, and that she was unfairly being rushed toward courtship and marriage while still grieving her lost love.  The Dogs railed against her and compelled her to reveal the truth.  The townspeople began to get agitated, and the Steward interceded on her behalf, putting an end to the conflict.  Bethany had called on her demons to aid her in appearing helpless and innocent to the townsfolk, and the Dogs had observed this.  She realized that things had gone seriously south for her cult.  The Dogs were taking a very hard line approach.  

The Dogs scolded the Steward for interfering, and sought out Brother Nathan, the doddering old ex-Dog.  Although he flatfly refused to believe his daughter Abiah was consorting with demons, he agreed to join them as a third in authority if necessary.  He went to get his coat and gun.

The cult put their plans into motion.  Deborah returned to her home to murder her husband Cleophus.  Abiah sought out the Steward with a pistol.  The Dogs confronted Deborah and, in the ensuing struggle, shot and killed her.  Abiah was subdued with the help of her father, but only after she had shot Brother Jeb and nearly killed him (18 Fallout!).  They exorcised the demon that guided her hand successfully.  

They found Bethany in Little Valley Creek, where her spirit husband had drown, and they had a serious argument about her fate.  The graveley wounded Brother Jeb argued that they should do their best to bring her back into the fold, fighting the demons and freeing her soul, but Brother Lazarus thought only her death could mend the branch – she was a sorceress and they were in no position to take chances.  In the end Lazarus won the argument, and they fought and subdued Bethany, took her back to Little Valley, and shot her before the horrified townspeople.  It was the afternoon of the sabbath.

lumpley

What was your favorite moment in play?

What would you say were your players' favorite moments?

I'd also be asking about the hitches you ran into, but for your very interesting post in the lumpley games forum.

-Vincent

Jason Morningstar

Oddly enough, my favorite moment was the interview with Brother Cleophus, who I played very sympathetically as a generally repulsive man who sincerely loved his new wife, and was distraught over her rejection.  The players really wanted to help him.  It makes me want to run more subtle and emotionally-charged towns in the future.  

I think my players liked the first throw-down with the three girls, ending in Bethany's confession.  Because of our misunderstandings, the later physical conflicts were not as satisfying as they could have been.

lumpley

QuoteOddly enough, my favorite moment was the interview with Brother Cleophus, who I played very sympathetically as a generally repulsive man who sincerely loved his new wife, and was distraught over her rejection.
That sounds just right. It doesn't surprise me a bit.

-Vincent