News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Game Starting

Started by Brennan Taylor, March 10, 2005, 03:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brennan Taylor

After starting IPR, I ended up with a lot of games that I want to play and that I need to demo at conventions. To help familiarize myself, I am doing a series of one-shots with a group of interested players. First up was TSOY, since I am also interested in developing a game based on this system.

I was hoping for four, but ended up with six very enthusiastic players. We came up with a very interesting, pretty coherent group of characters, although definitely on the morally dubious side of the equation. Two of the character concepts required Keys that did not exist, so we group brainstormed them on the fly.

Here are the new Keys:

Key of Renown
1 XP: You see to it that your name and deeds are known, by bragging about them, or making sure there are witnesses, etc.
2 XP: You put yourself at risk to do something unnecessary or foolish that will add to your reputation.
5 XP: You risk your life to take credit for your actions (brag that you were the one who killed the Duke's son, etc.).
Buyoff: You give someone else credit for an action that would increase your renown.

Key of Power
1 XP: You earn a boon from someone important, earn a slight gain in prestige, or make a rival look bad.
2 XP: You end a session with more power than you started.
5 XP: You ruin, kill, or otherwise eliminate a powerful rival, and improve your own position because of it.
Buyoff: You relinquish your power and position.

I am setting the game in Maldor, and the key character turns out to be a Maldorian noblewoman, describing herself as a warlord. I don't have stats for her at her at the moment, but the Key of Power was created for her. This player also had another really cool character concept that didn't get used, an Elf who viewed duelling as a form of art. This would have been really sick and interesting, but I think the warlord is going to be pretty good too.

The other characters:
Moira, Khaleian Human Smith
Vigor 4, Instinct 5, Reason 3
Resist 4, Stay Up 6, Stealth 2, Create 2, Climb 1, Woodscraft 2, Rough Craft 3, Lunar Craft 2, Pray 1, Scrapping 6, Etiquette 1
Secret of the Moon's Heart, Secret of Knowledge, Secret of Quality Construction
Key of Conscience
Moira is a Khaleian tribeswoman who took up moon metal forging when Ammenites invaded her tribe's territory. The rest of her tribe fled to the Green World, but she had become infected by the moon metal and couldn't follow them. Her right arm is completely infused with metal, and the metal follows her veins out from her shoulder to her back, chest, and up her neck.

Maldorian Goblin Fighter
Vigor 7, Instinct 4, Reason 2
Athletics 1, Reaction 2, Resist 2, Stay Up 3, Scrapping 2, Bash & Hold 2, Infantry Fighting 3, Climb 3, Aim 3
Secret of the Hidden Pocket, Secret of Body Weaponry, Secret of Addiction
Key of the Masochist, Key of Bloodlust
This one isn't quite finished, since the player was sick and sent a proxy to do initial set-up.

Crystal Maldorian Human Psycho Girlfriend
Vigor 4, Instinct 7, Reason 2
Athletics 2, Reaction 3, Resist 1, Stay Up 4, Savoir Faire 3, Sway 2, Create 1, Scrapping 3, Bash & Hold 1, Theft 1, Scrounging 3
Secret of Contacts, Secret of Knowledge, Secret of Heart's Release
Key of Glittering Gold, Key of Unrequited Love
Crystal is a stalker who wooed a minor destitute nobleman who later dumped her. She is convinced if she becomes rich enough he will be interested again, and won't leave the fellow alone. She is constantly hounding him.

Ammenite Human Assassin
Vigor 2, Instinct 6, Reason 4
Athletics 1, Reaction 1, Stay Up 1, Stealth 5, Theft 1, Deceit 1, Assassination 4, Bladework 2, Distill Herbs 1, Climb 1, Herb Lore 1, Woodsman 1, Aim 2, Scrapping 1, Storytelling 3
Secret of the Sudden Knife, Secret of Knowledge, Secret of the Serpent Blade
Key of Renown
Don't have the name on my copy of this character. This guy is an assassin, but he wants to be the most famous assassin in the land, feared by all. We developed the Key of Renown specifically for this character.

Gaff Gamg Maldorian Ratkin Fixer
Vigor 3, Instinct 6, Reason 3
Athletics 2, Reaction 2, Stay Up 2, Stealth 1, Theft 1, Deceit 3, Streetwise 4, Haggling 2, Climbing 1, Woodcraft 1, Aim 1, Scrounging 2, Sway 1, First Aid 2, Scrapping 1, Discern Truth 2
Secret of Rat Familiarity, Secret of Herbal Health, Secret of Contacts, Secret of Rat Companion
Key of the Litter
Gaff Gamg is a ratkin whose litter was killed. Only one, normal rat, brother survived. He has adopted this group as his new litter, and will see to it that they are provided for.

ScottM

Cool sounding group. I look forward to seeing them in action.

--Scott
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

James_Nostack

Those are some pretty sweet keys!  You should post them to the TSOY wiki!  I came up with a "Key of Glory" but your "key of renown" is much more fun...
--Stack

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: James_NostackThose are some pretty sweet keys!  You should post them to the TSOY wiki!  I came up with a "Key of Glory" but your "key of renown" is much more fun...

Will do.