News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Capes] New cover, early draft for critique

Started by TonyLB, May 11, 2005, 03:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

Last time through, people had very solid comments on my cover, but I got them too late into the process to take advantage without throwing away a lot of work.  I don't want to repeat that mistake, now that I'm doing a better cover for upcoming editions.

So I've got the first sketch draft of the art for the front.  I'm hoping to get across some of the way that Capes encourages conflict on a personal level as well as a super-powered level, particularly by having the much less imposing physical specimen clearly be completely dominant in the interpersonal dynamic being shown.

So what do you think?  Does that come across?  Are the proportions closer to comic-booky than the previous cover?  Any glaring errors?  Anything you particularly like?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Bret Gillan

I like the big hulking dude and the poses. I'd have to wait to see the facial expressions to see if the message really comes across, but so far, so good.

I gotta say that their costumes aren't very superhero-y, but I like it.

Jasper Polane

Hi Tony,

The woman's legs appear to have different sizes. Her right leg (left to us) would be correct, the other leg seems a little short to me.

--Jasper
My game: Cosmic Combat
My art: Polanimation

TonyLB

Haven't done the woman's costume yet... the big guy is going Hulk-Chic, though I may add some chains or something to emphasize the "I'm a raging beast of fury" motif.

Jasper:  Good catch on the legs.  The left hip is supposed to be raised (since that leg is weight-bearing)... a little fiddle to where the iliac crest merges into the rest of the body should make the difference.  Thanks!

Brendan

This may be too late if you're set on that particular setup, but I look at that and go "I want them to be doing something."

Andrew Morris

Another thought -- the genders might lead the viewer to read that as the message, rather than the weak/strong split. It's funny, but when I was thinking about what kind of image would convey Capes, I had pictured something much like this. I was seeing more active scolding from the little character, though -- shaking a finger or something.

What's going to be in the background?

Quote from: Brendan"I want them to be doing something."
Yeah, same here
Download: Unistat

TonyLB

I tried about... err... twenty different takes on the scolding thing.  I liked that idea too.

The problem with it is facing, relative to the point of view.  You can do scolding real easy in two panels, with different front-facing pictures on each of the people.  One panel?  Somebody's got their back turned toward the viewer.  Yeah, yeah, I know... three-quarter profiles and distorted lenses, and... I couldn't make it work.  Some artists, no doubt, can.  I couldn't.

How's this for doing something, mostly in the yet-undefined faces?  Big bruiser is either rubbing his neck in confusion or slicking his hair in an attempt to be more presentable (the latter if I can convey it... it's just so plaintive).  The girl is looking away and egregiously rolling her eyes in amused contempt.

timfire

Quote from: TonyLBYou can do scolding real easy in two panels, with different front-facing pictures on each of the people.
What's wrong with splitting the cover into multiple panels? I think it would add to the color.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: timfire
Quote from: TonyLBYou can do scolding real easy in two panels, with different front-facing pictures on each of the people.
What's wrong with splitting the cover into multiple panels? I think it would add to the color.

Yeah, good idea. I liked the With Great Power... cover that had panels, even though it was the same picture in each one. You could have two smaller close-ups, one with bruiser yelling, then the woman scolding, and then the woman's turnaway from the bemused bruiser in a final big splash panel.

TonyLB

My gut reaction to this is negative.  Which is just by way of informing you guys.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I see two possibilities.

First, unlike WGP, Capes is not about the comic book medium.  I've stayed away from panels as a metaphor, and I'm pretty happy with that decision.

Second, I actually like the notion that people don't know what's happening in the shot.  It gives them some room to project their own thoughts onto the picture.  I think some added emotional subtext (on the faces) will help that.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!  I'll try a panel layout (because I'm trying all sorts of things) and see what I can do with it.

matthijs

Hulk is really hot for that chick, right? But she doesn't get it? Poor sad bastard. Still, you know, it might work out if... uh, I'm reading too much into this...

Just for fun, picture these gender combinations in your head instead and see what relationships you assume:

Big woman, small man
Big man, small man
Big woman, small woman

Brennan Taylor

Flash of inspiration: this would really work if there was a giant robot or spaceship destroying the city in the background, while the two foreground characters have some sort of argument about their relationship. Just an idea, and definitely accurate to Capes play.

TonyLB

Oh, that's sick.  I don't know if I'm good enough to do that and have it read clearly to the eye, but I certainly like the idea.

Andrew Morris

You could also do one with the big, hulk-type blushing and handing a rose to the female super, while mayhem rages in the background.
Download: Unistat

Valamir

In terms of making it easily readable to the eye:

I think if the back ground had some low detail sky scrapers getting blasted to rubble by blaster rays from flying saucers (more the suggestion of than any real detail)...

...while the foreground had hulk-dude like now, scratching his head and his face looking puzzled...

...and the chick actually turned away from him to our right with one arm out in the "talk to the hand" pose

That that would be pretty instantly recognizeable.