News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

PDF idea

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, June 15, 2002, 11:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

An odd idea I just had: when selling an game on your website, make it completely free for download - but set the permissions in the PDF such that it's not printable. (This is pretty easily done.)

People get to look at your game and decide whether they like it before they buy it. They can then buy it and get the unlocked version.

Does this seem like it would work, in terms of it being good marketing sense? Or would it probably backfire?
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jack Spencer Jr

This sounds like an idea that'd be worth doing a couple times just to see if it'd work. Seriously.

I mean, it's better than the "free" version deal since most people argee the crumby free version just never measures up. This way, you do get the full version and when you're sick of dealing with it always being on your computer, you'll eventually fork over the purchase price.

There is the worry that hackers may crack it, but that's a bigger worry for, say, Stephen King that an indie RPG publisher, but then a lot of gamers also seem to be computer people.

Problem is the Univac keeps coming back with .NOT.ENOUGH.DATA. We just don't know how this would go over or not. (Can you also add a nag box so that every time they open the file it reminds you to buy the full version a la Winzip?) We could theorize on whether it would work or not all day but what we need is hard data.

In the interest of theorizing all day, I believe the the first couple product released this way will not rap much by way of legal tender nor noteriety. It will take a couple months? years? before the game-buying public gets used to the idea and the publisher gets to reap the rewards. But this is my theory.

Nathan

Really cool idea, Clinton.

The problem is that you have to look at your individual product and what not. Let's say I do this with Eldritch Ass Kicking, which contains the basic core rules for the game. What happens if I release a big meaty supplement that contains 50 pre-made villains and adventure hooks for everyone one of them? The thing would break down -- people could just mark down the stats from the supplement without paying a dime.

How big/complex is the game? If the game is complex with charts or crunchy rules, then this would be a good method. Printing alone would be worth it - but if your game's rules exist on just a couple of pages, who couldn't jot down the basics?

I don't know. It really depends on how "predatory" we see gamers. If gamers can get something without paying for it, will they go that route at all costs?

It would be worth an experiment or two.

Thanks,
Nathan Hill
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/
-------------------------------------------

Matt Gwinn

If someone was desparate enough, and had a large enough monitor he could do a screen capture of each page and then print then as jpeg or gif images.  I'm not sure if the effort would be worth saving $10 though.

,Matt G.

By the way, did I mention the final PDF for Kayfabe is on sale at my site? and the print version should be on sale in a couple weeks?
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Adam

Quote from: Jack Spencer JrCan you also add a nag box so that every time they open the file it reminds you to buy the full version a la Winzip?
Yes, you could add a sticky-note to the front page that would open each time someone opened the file.

It's an interesting idea; sort of like feature-disabled shareware but not quite as annoying.

It could possibly be done with two PDF files: The basic game as a pure unlocked file, and then a seperate file with quick reference charts and other cheat sheet style material. This would let /players/ print out the game for free, but the GM would have to pony up a few bucks for easy reference sheets or make his own.

Of course, that depends on the game actually having enough tables and other stuff to make it worthwhile...

Tim Denee

I'm no tech-head, but couldn't one copy the text one wanted to print off, paste it into one's favourite writingmajig, and print that off? Alternatively, couldn't one select all the text, paste it into a writingmajig, and print the whole thing off?

Adam

PDF files can be configured to not allow copying and pasting. And even if that was allowed, the text would be /ugly/ when pasted into someones text editor / word processor / layout program and it would take some time and effort to make it look good again.

Chris Passeno

Given enough determination, they could probably "place" the document in InDesign.  It would be page by page, but it could be done.  Though I doubt that John Q Public would have InDesign.  Just like Matt G. said, "I'm not sure if the effort would be worth saving $10 though. "

I like the idea "non-printable, non-copy, non-save" idea though.  Good call on the pop up post-it on the front page too.

Marketing-wise, I think that it would have to be pretty.  I mean graphically pleasing, for me to fork over the dough to get the unlocked one, but that's the same as any other preview of a game.  Will it backfire?  IMO, maybe.  I hate reading documents on the screen.  If I can't print it out, I won't read more than a page.  The game had really better sell me on the first page.

Later,
Chris

Cynthia Celeste Miller

I think this idea could work and I would be interested in using such a method for Cartoon Action Hour.  This could possibly negate the "I can't flip through PDF games" complaint that many people have with said format.

I'm going to talk to Matt Snyder about trying this out.  Could be interesting to see how well it works. :)
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Cynthia (and all),

I can do this for you if you need help with it. You can set permissions so the file can't be saved, edited, printed, or cut and pasted from.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Bankuei

Given that the folks who'd be determined to get the thing for free will either find a way(via e-books, or other sources) or just not bother, I'd go with it.  

I think the biggest thing that keeps me from buying a lot of online games is that I often have NO idea what the game's about.  The Sorcerer Freebie has the rules, but none of the meat of the game.  Based on the freebie I'd never buy it, but given a chance to review the game(esp. some of the style advice) I would've picked it up right away.

I think it's a good idea, and you might find yourself getting more sales than the one or two assholes who cheap out on it.

Chris

Adam

Something I thought of last night: This is a good way to somewhat combine Ron's "get a personal chance to send email to each buyer" method with "Instant download of the original file so the person doesn't have to sit around and wait for the seller to get online and send the file/password" - since users will be able to get and read the file, then order the password via a website - then a script could send them the password, or if you wanted to have more personal involvement it could send the seller some sort of note to send the purchaser the password.

I realize that my explanation above reads like hell, but I think it's at least somewhat clear?

hive

Plan of my attack -

Incorporate the game system into an .html game book incorporating the artwork all the while. Drum up system using web tactics.

Sell the PDF version of the game book (without artwork for home printing) from the site.

Sell the CD version of the game book (including 2 PDFs; one PDF-lite without artwork for home printing, one PDF-full with artwork for kinko's printing).

Hopefully, the sale of a CD version will attract those dispondants that hate "purely electronic products". It will give them something real to caress in their sweaty hands.

With little to no overhead due to 'burn-on-demand', the netted earnings might just let the bound version of the game system see the light of day.

-
h

Michael Hopcroft

But haven;t I heard of people who actually made this model work?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Michael HopcroftBut haven't I heard of people who actually made this model work?

I don't know, Michael. Have you? I'd like it if you'd explain what you mean instead of make flippant little one-liners.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games