News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Rules Questions

Started by jburneko, October 16, 2002, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Hello Again,

These are just some simple rules questions.

1) Can demons spot telltales with the usual Lore roll?  I couldn't find anything specific in the books.  

2) When you Punish a demon how long does it take a demon to recover?  Like damage this is probably up to the individual play group and the situation but unlike damage I couldn't find even any guidelines.

3) Can you perform compounded punishment?  It says that you can automatically punish your own bound demon and remove up to your will from its power.  Can you say, let it rest and then punish it again a few days later and lower it's power AGAIN.  So that say over the course of a few weeks lower a really big and powerful demon down to a power of 1?

Thanks.

Jesse

Ron Edwards

Hi Jesse,

Oh boy, questions.

1) Can demons spot telltales with the usual Lore roll? I couldn't find anything specific in the books.

That's a matter of the demon concept for the game. If it's consistent with the concept that they can, then treat the demon as a sorcerer for Telltale-spotting purposes.

Just to be absolutely clear (because the book isn't, including a artifactual error): for a sorcerer to spot another sorcerer's Telltale, roll Lore vs. Lore; for a sorcerer to spot a demon's Telltale, roll Lore vs. 1 die.

2) When you Punish a demon how long does it take a demon to recover? Like damage this is probably up to the individual play group and the situation but unlike damage I couldn't find even any guidelines.

H'm, use the damage rules; also see the rules for demon's Stamina and abilities' use - there might be a good model to follow there too.

3) Can you perform compounded punishment? It says that you can automatically punish your own bound demon and remove up to your will from its power. Can you say, let it rest and then punish it again a few days later and lower it's power AGAIN. So that say over the course of a few weeks lower a really big and powerful demon down to a power of 1?

Yup, that's possible. It's also a way practically to guarantee a mortal enemy. Unless that demon gets killed, the character really oughta watch his back.

Best,
Ron

jburneko

Quote from: Ron Edwards

Just to be absolutely clear (because the book isn't, including a artifactual error): for a sorcerer to spot another sorcerer's Telltale, roll Lore vs. Lore; for a sorcerer to spot a demon's Telltale, roll Lore vs. 1 die.

WHA--?  Oh fuck, I've been doing this all wrong!

I've been doing Lore vs. Cover for Sorcerer-To-Sorcerer and Lore vs. 1 die for demons unless the demon has the Cover ability in which case it's been Lore vs. Power.

Any idea where I got those notions?

Jesse

Ron Edwards

Hi Jesse,

Lore vs. Cover for sorcerers, I don't know ... although frankly, it seems like a pretty good idea and you should keep using it.

Lore vs. 1 for demons, and you're right, if the demon has the Cover ability, then Lore vs. Cover (which equals the demon's Power).

So don't change anything. You're only different from me in a little eeny way, and the difference makes plenty of sense.

Best,
Ron