News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dawn of the Magi (new and kinda long)

Started by Sylus Thane, October 31, 2002, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylus Thane

I've been working on the setting I'm going to offer with my rules mechanic I call Frontier, here's the intro for it and the species that are available in the setting. Hope it perks peoples interest, more will follow as I get it typed legibly.

Intro

It was the death of an age. For three thousand years man had denied magic and it’s promises of power. For countless generations ones might was proven with the point of a sword. Kingdoms rose and fell throughout all of Phoryan. Creatures thought to be born of magic were nearly driven to extinction. Life as the races of the world knew it would never be the same. It is not even written in the Tomes of the Kalantai how magic returned. Some think that it never truly left kept alive by devoted sects of sorcerers. Others felt it was the lust of greedy souls that drew it back out from hiding, feeding on their desire for power. Whatever the reason the signs are clear, magic has returned.

Welcome to the world of Phoryan, a land of ancient mystery. Throughout your travels you will encounter many things, from the Horse tribes of the Tyr to the mighty city of Gladsport. Many opportunities await you. Much of the world remains unexplored, forgotten by the sands of time, awaiting the ones who venture forth to reclaim its treasures and bring them back to those who would use them.  The only thing that remains to be seen is how daring you are. Will you prove your worth with the strength of your sword? Or will you test your will against the temptations of magic? But remember Phoryan is not a forgiving world, it does not suffer fools for it is their bones that mark the way.

Available Races (please note that the only normal "Fantasy Race" available are Humans, the rest come from my silly imagination)

HUMAN-
Although there are many cultures of humans throughout the world of Phoryan only a few of the more largely populated ones will be discussed here. Although many of the species receive bonuses in the way of STATS you will notice that humans do not. Instead they receive cultural bonuses in the form of free skills to show a humans diversity and ability to adapt to their surroundings.

JAHNA: Jaw-nuh (canine humanoids)-
The Jahna essentially look like short stocky wolfmen. They have a moderately nomadic culture and are very tribal in nature. They are highly into trade and gambling. They have adapted to arctic, temperate and jungle like climates but find their climate of their birth the most comfortable. All Jahna names have an “uh” sound to the end as a sign of their passing into adulthood. Jahna are a very fun loving and social people. They are also very willing to adopt children not of their species. They’re merely considered to be hairless Jahna. It is not uncommon for orphaned human children to be raised as Jahna. Jahna have highly developed natural senses and begin character creation with a 2 in AWARE.

TRINO: Tree-no-
The Trino are a race of bipeds similar to sloth. They are mainly arboreal but are not unwilling to traverse land. Although they tend to use all four limbs when walking they are capable of standing on their legs alone. Unlike sloth they are very quick and agile species. They are capable warriors but tend to not pursue careers in magic. Trino begin character creation with a +3 in DEX and a +2 in SPD.

KAHARA: Ku-har-uh (humanoid)-
Tall humanoids very similar to humans but with very distinct features. Kaharans are very adept at magic especially being sorcerers. They also are naturally psionic, born with certain innate abilities. There are four distinct varieties of Kahara.

Kaharan-
The ruling classes of the Kahara, the Kaharans are the majority among their species.

Kalaran-
The spiritual caste of the species, the Kalaran differs slightly from others of their race being slightly smaller of BODY. Kalaran start at -2 Body and +1 INT.

Kaladan-
Warriors by birth, the Kaladan are the weapons of the Kahara species. Larger and stronger than the rest the Kaladan are bred for combat and war. They start with a +3 to BODY and a +1 to DEX. They often employ the arts of sorcery to aid in their fighting giving a +1 in WILL.

Kalantai-
One with the forces of magic, the Kalantai are the sorcerers and wizards of the Kahara. They have few equals in their abilities to control the energies that make magic possible. They begin with  +2 to AWARE and a +3 in WILL. But have a -2 in END.

JINN: Gin (feline humanoid)-
The Jinn are a culture of mercenaries. With very few females born each year the females of their species rule the Jinn. Due to the highly volatile nature of males the female ruling council hire them out in large quantities to fight wars and use as guards. The Jinn are also highly renown for their bodyguards, known as Vaantri. Jinn are very skilled in many forms of weapons and are taught in their use from a very early age. They are also highly agile and begin character creation with a 3 in DEX and 1 in SPD.

GOLAN: Go-lawn (gargoyle humanoids)
The Golan are large winged and tailed humanoids believed to be the result of a magical pairing of humans and dragons. Golan live in small coastal cliff dwellings and are extensive fisherman. Due to their size Golan have extremely dense muscles making them exceptionally strong. Due to their remote settlements from other species Golan find it twice as difficult to learn magic, as it is a highly unfamiliar. They begin character creation with a +3 to BODY and a +2 to END.

PLACTOID-
Plactoid are a race of shape changers. Capable of taking the form of nearly any object they have encountered of their size. They are capable of taking on larger forms but it is more of a shell than a solid transformation, as they do not have the mass to fully take on the form. Their normal appearance is that of a large pink blob. Plactoid require a large intake of food, especially sweets. In order to power their body for transformations. Their food intake is roughly three times that of other human and larger species. If a plactoid is not continually changing their need for food lessons to a more normal amount. Plactoids have a transformation pool based upon their BODY to regulate transformations to show how often they can change before needing to eat and rest. Plactoid have one distinct disadvantage in that if they spend too long in one form they may forget how to return back to their normal state.

VAILON (sentient plants humanoids)-
The Vailon are strange race in that they aren't animals but sentient plants. Although plants, they are not immobile, having a roughly humanoid form. They communicate to other species through a small whole on the head portion of their bodies in which air is pushed through to create a whistling like speech. Their other senses are regulated through membranes located on the sides of their heads that monitor sound, temperature, as well as heat. Vailon communicate in a telepathic method with other members of their species and make good psionicists, although sorcerers are rare among them, They are also not known to be practitioners of magic or to have a faith in any particular god. Although tall, the Vailon are not particularly strong or fast. They begin character creation with a -1 in END, and a -1 in SPD. But they do begin with a +2 in AWARE and a +1 in WILL. The Vailon are also exceptionally good at molding natural materials into weaponry, armor, and other needed equipment.

The Hive Mind

Isolates-
Normally all Vailon are connected to the Hive Mind and are an extension of it's will but on occasion that tie is broken creating what are known as Isolates. Isolates are Vailon that have been severed from the Hive Mind and have taken full control of their abilities and have full freedom of will. Isolates do however tend to suffer from this separation and receive a form of mental instability. They begin character creation with a +2 to WILL but a -1 to INT due to mental instability.

Traka-
Traka are a slave race of the Vailon. They are a relatively small mammal species that resemble armadillos. They perform a large portion of the manual labor needed by the Vailon. Although small the Traka are relatively slow and begin character creation with a -2 in SPD, but gain a +2 to END due to the armored shell that covers their body also storing unused nutrition. This shell also acts as a natural 2d10 armor.

BASKAN (reptilian)-
Baskan are a species of solitary reptiles, very similar to dragons, except in the fact that they walk upright dragging their tails behind them. Though solitary they are not antisocial. Baskan are highly adept at wizardry, though have trouble when it comes to sorcery. They are not a highly nimble race physically though are highly intelligent. They start character creation with a -2 in DEX and a -2 in SPD but have a 2 in INT.

SLAVANTRA (small iguanalike humanoids)-
The Slavantra are a very small reptilian species. Then often are renowned clerics having never forgotten the old gods, although this generally causes them to suffer distrust from other races. They are also highly adept sorcerers. They are highly intelligent and forceful creatures gaining a 2 in INT and a 2 in WILL to begin character creation.

SKREEL (locust type, genetically related to Kree)-
Unlike their cousins the Kree, Skreel prefer to settle in an area near as many natural resources as possible. They are creators and inventors, their pursuit of knowledge is unparalleled by any other species. Although not known for their fighting prowess the Skreel are not incompetents in a fight. Having nearly as formidable natural weaponry as the Kree, Skreel will always fight when cornered. They can be quite accomplished wizards or sorcerers if they desire. Skreel have 2d10 blade like portions on their primary arms and receive a +2 in AWARE and MECH but receive a -2 in END.

NASKO-
Nasko are a small underground species. They are highly skilled in digging and mining. They resemble scaly moles with large eyes. They are capable of bipedal motion but find it uncomfortable, preferring their hunched quadruped gait. They have highly tuned senses but their eyes are sensitive to harsh light. They are slightly obsessive with their projects and find sorcery difficult. They begin character creation with a -2 in WILL.

MILEIN-
The Milein are a dragon species similar to the Baskan except that they have six limbs in a centaur like body. They are scaled where as the Baskan are leathery skinned. Milein are not nearly as tall as the Baskan but are similar in length to an Ilema. Milein are highly skilled warriors and are not as skilled in wizardry. They are more a social species than the Baskan, but tend to be slightly cautious of outsiders. Milein begin character creation with a +4 in BODY but a -3 in SPD and a -1 in DEX.

EIKO (Amphibious humanoid)-
The Eiko are a simple species that live in coastal waters and swamps. They very rarely seek out for greater wealth than what is necessary to survive. They excel at being sorcerers and the use of elemental magic, especially those that deal with water. Eiko are capable of traveling over land but must attempt to keep their skin moist to avoid severe drying and cracking which can lead to debilitation is not taken care of. Due to their aquatic life Eiko are not as strong as other species but they are extraordinarily agile and start with a +4 in DEX.

KREE  (insectoid, praying mantis, traders and scavengers)-
Traders of life and goods the Kree are some of the greatest scavengers and traders in the world. Kree are human sized creatures resembling rather large insects (think praying mantis). They are capable of sustained flight and have extraordinary sight but have rather fragile but quick bodies. They have projections along their arms that can act as weapons doing 3d10 of damage. They begin character creation with a -2 in END, but have a +2 to AWARE and SPD.

ILEMA (hexapod mammals, explorers and scientists)-
The Ilema are a hexapod species resembling six legged elongated bears. Although capable of standing up on their rear four legs they prefer to stand upon all six for comfort if it is for a long period of time. They are generally solitary though are known to travel in-groups. There are fairly skilled combatants and have some working knowledge of magic. Ilema are usually well experienced travelers and can be found wandering nearly anywhere in the world Ilema gain a +3 in END and AWARE but have a -2 in SPD and DEX when beginning character creation.

R’SHE (feline humanoid)
R'she have no ancestral links to the Jinn whatsoever. Which is part of their mystery. No one knows where they came from for sure. It is believed that they are magically created race that never fulfilled its purpose. What is known is that the R'she are highly adept at being sorcerers. They have no known culture and are drawn towards one another when the need for mating arises. They are not particularly known for their fighting prowess and said to be highly shy creatures when confronted by beings they do not know. R'she begin character creation with a +3 in WILL and a +1 to AWARE for slightly heightened senses.

OTAN (aardvark humanoid, farmers, and ecologists, non-aggressive)-
Resembling aardvarks in appearance with their long snouts and large eyes and ears few species take the Otan seriously. Even with their pacifist ways the Otan are not to be taken likely. They are well versed in the ways of magic and are not unwilling to defend themselves when pressured. Although not naturally endowed towards combat they are capable as well as having highly acute senses. The Otan begin character creation with a +3 in AWARE and WILL but have a -2 in SPD.

The descriptions are still basic at the moment but will be fleshed out more as I go along. Also I feel the artwork to follow as I get them done will help describe them better visually.

In my following posts I will go into charcater creation and rules. Enjoy!

Sylus

J. Backman

Two thumbs up for not going for the usual clichéed fantasy races. Seriously, if I see one more game with elves dancing around in a magical forest wearing tights or dwarves burrowing in a mine singing about gold I'm going get angry. Very, very angry.

- Pasi Juhani Backman
Pasi Juhani Backman

Mike Holmes

Lots of races. How much development do you plan to put into each one? Are the races simply metaphors, or do you want them to each to be a different expeience in play. I guess what I'm getting at, is how much of the "man in rubber suit" effect are you willing to accept?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Sylus Thane

I plan on giving as much detail on each race as possible. there will be insights on culture,preferred environments and the like. i hope the artwork will help elleviate the "man in the rubber suit" tendencies most games have. I use the term humanoid merely as reference to relate that a species walks upright on two legs and generally doesn't have more than two upper limbs. i use it as a descriptive so that people can easily relate when there isn't a visual depiction people can view such as artwork. I do want each species to be a different experience in play so that it broadens the whole game play experience for everyone involved.

Sylus

Andrew Martin

Is there a reason why game system material is embedded in the description of the character races? It would seem easier to keep these details separate, if the system changes or the races change.
Andrew Martin

Sylus Thane

QuoteIs there a reason why game system material is embedded in the description of the character races? It would seem easier to keep these details separate, if the system changes or the races change.

Can I ask you to expand on this so that I'm sure of what you mean by it?

Sylus

Demonspahn

Hi Sylus,

I like the different races.  Are they all available as PCs?  

You seem to be going for a high fantasy feel with this and I think that is cool.  I would extend that to other parts of the game as well, particularly the setting and most particularly in the regions these races live in and/or originated.  

Have the Vailon inhabiting the overgrown ruins of an ancient city, perhaps that once belonged to the beings that were responsible for their creation/cultivation.  Have the Nasko be artists and sculptors of unparalleled skill with the walls of their caverns decorated with hauntingly beautiful bas-reliefs that few surface dwellers have ever seen.  Have the Trino weave the branches of their trees into a huge, web like forest canopy so they can move about without touching the ground.  

I guess what I'm saying is try to make each setting unique and interesting and give the place a reason why it is like that, or vice-versa---design a unique setting and then explain how a race evolved or came to inhabit it.  Above all, don't be afraid to go over the top.  I'll second the notion that we've all seen enough elves, dwarves and halflings.  Misguided's Children of the Sun had a really good take on them recently but I think that had more to do with the beauty of the overall setting.  In general though I think those races should remain in the pages of D&D and LotR.  

But back to Frontier, it looks promising so far.  Keep on it.

Pete

Sylus Thane

Hey Pete,
Thanks, your actually not far off from how I envisioned the species you mentioned being. Yes all the races are meant to be PC's and I will be adding as much information to their descriptions as possible. I hope to keep the high fantasy feel as much as I can and I hope to get the beginning portions of character creation up soon.

Sylus

Andrew Martin

Here's an example:

HUMAN-
Although there are many cultures of humans throughout the world of Phoryan only a few of the more largely populated ones will be discussed here. Humans are diverse and adapt to their surroundings.

JAHNA: Jaw-nuh (canine humanoids)-
The Jahna essentially look like short stocky wolfmen. They have a moderately nomadic culture and are very tribal in nature. They are highly into trade and gambling. They have adapted to arctic, temperate and jungle like climates but find their climate of their birth the most comfortable. All Jahna names have an "uh" sound to the end as a sign of their passing into adulthood. Jahna are a very fun loving and social people. They are also very willing to adopt children not of their species. They're merely considered to be hairless Jahna. It is not uncommon for orphaned human children to be raised as Jahna. Jahna have highly developed natural senses.

TRINO: Tree-no-
The Trino are a race of bipeds similar to sloth. They are mainly arboreal but are not unwilling to traverse land. Although they tend to use all four limbs when walking they are capable of standing on their legs alone. Unlike sloth they are very quick and agile species. They are capable warriors but tend to not pursue careers in magic.

KAHARA: Ku-har-uh (humanoid)-
Tall humanoids very similar to humans but with very distinct features. Kaharans are very adept at magic especially being sorcerers. They also are naturally psionic, born with certain innate abilities. There are four distinct varieties of Kahara.

Kaharan-
The ruling classes of the Kahara, the Kaharans are the majority among their species.

Kalaran-
The spiritual caste of the species, the Kalaran differs slightly from others of their race being slightly smaller.

Kaladan-
Warriors by birth, the Kaladan are the weapons of the Kahara species. Larger and stronger than the rest the Kaladan are bred for combat and war. They often employ the arts of sorcery to aid in their fighting.

Kalantai-
One with the forces of magic, the Kalantai are the sorcerers and wizards of the Kahara. They have few equals in their abilities to control the energies that make magic possible.

JINN: Gin (feline humanoid)-
The Jinn are a culture of mercenaries. With very few females born each year the females of their species rule the Jinn. Due to the highly volatile nature of males the female ruling council hire them out in large quantities to fight wars and use as guards. The Jinn are also highly renown for their bodyguards, known as Vaantri. Jinn are very skilled in many forms of weapons and are taught in their use from a very early age. They are also highly agile.

GOLAN: Go-lawn (gargoyle humanoids)
The Golan are large winged and tailed humanoids believed to be the result of a magical pairing of humans and dragons. Golan live in small coastal cliff dwellings and are extensive fisherman. Due to their size Golan have extremely dense muscles making them exceptionally strong. Due to their remote settlements from other species Golan find it twice as difficult to learn magic, as it is a highly unfamiliar.

PLACTOID-
Plactoid are a race of shape changers. Capable of taking the form of nearly any object they have encountered of their size. They are capable of taking on larger forms but it is more of a shell than a solid transformation, as they do not have the mass to fully take on the form. Their normal appearance is that of a large pink blob. Plactoid require a large intake of food, especially sweets. In order to power their body for transformations. Their food intake is roughly three times that of other human and larger species. If a plactoid is not continually changing their need for food lessons to a more normal amount. Plactoid have one distinct disadvantage in that if they spend too long in one form they may forget how to return back to their normal state.

The Vailon are strange race in that they aren't animals but sentient plants. Although plants, they are not immobile, having a roughly humanoid form. They communicate to other species through a small whole on the head portion of their bodies in which air is pushed through to create a whistling like speech. Their other senses are regulated through membranes located on the sides of their heads that monitor sound, temperature, as well as heat. Vailon communicate in a telepathic method with other members of their species and make good psionicists, although sorcerers are rare among them, They are also not known to be practitioners of magic or to have a faith in any particular god. Although tall, the Vailon are not particularly strong or fast. The Vailon are also exceptionally good at molding natural materials into weaponry, armor, and other needed equipment.

The Hive Mind

Isolates-
Normally all Vailon are connected to the Hive Mind and are an extension of it's will but on occasion that tie is broken creating what are known as Isolates. Isolates are Vailon that have been severed from the Hive Mind and have taken full control of their abilities and have full freedom of will. Isolates do however tend to suffer from this separation and receive a form of mental instability.

Traka-
Traka are a slave race of the Vailon. They are a relatively small mammal species that resemble armadillos. They perform a large portion of the manual labor needed by the Vailon. Although small the Traka are relatively slow. Covering their body is a natural armor which stores unused nutrition.

BASKAN (reptilian)-
Baskan are a species of solitary reptiles, very similar to dragons, except in the fact that they walk upright dragging their tails behind them. Though solitary they are not antisocial. Baskan are highly adept at wizardry, though have trouble when it comes to sorcery. They are not a highly nimble race physically though are highly intelligent.

The Slavantra are a very small reptilian species. Then often are renowned clerics having never forgotten the old gods, although this generally causes them to suffer distrust from other races. They are also highly adept sorcerers. They are highly intelligent and forceful.

Unlike their cousins the Kree, Skreel prefer to settle in an area near as many natural resources as possible. They are creators and inventors, their pursuit of knowledge is unparalleled by any other species. Although not known for their fighting prowess the Skreel are not incompetents in a fight. Having nearly as formidable natural weaponry as the Kree, Skreel will always fight when cornered. They can be quite accomplished wizards or sorcerers if they desire. Skreel have blade-like portions on their primary arms.

NASKO-
Nasko are a small underground species. They are highly skilled in digging and mining. They resemble scaly moles with large eyes. They are capable of bipedal motion but find it uncomfortable, preferring their hunched quadruped gait. They have highly tuned senses but their eyes are sensitive to harsh light. They are slightly obsessive with their projects and find sorcery difficult.

MILEIN-
The Milein are a dragon species similar to the Baskan except that they have six limbs in a centaur like body. They are scaled where as the Baskan are leathery skinned. Milein are not nearly as tall as the Baskan but are similar in length to an Ilema. Milein are highly skilled warriors and are not as skilled in wizardry. They are more a social species than the Baskan, but tend to be slightly cautious of outsiders.

EIKO (Amphibious humanoid)-
The Eiko are a simple species that live in coastal waters and swamps. They very rarely seek out for greater wealth than what is necessary to survive. They excel at being sorcerers and the use of elemental magic, especially those that deal with water. Eiko are capable of traveling over land but must attempt to keep their skin moist to avoid severe drying and cracking which can lead to debilitation is not taken care of. Due to their aquatic life Eiko are not as strong as other species but they are extraordinarily agile.

KREE  (insectoid, praying mantis, traders and scavengers)-
Traders of life and goods the Kree are some of the greatest scavengers and traders in the world. Kree are human sized creatures resembling rather large insects (think praying mantis). They are capable of sustained flight and have extraordinary sight but have rather fragile but quick bodies. They have projections along their arms that can act as weapons.

ILEMA (hexapod mammals, explorers and scientists)-
The Ilema are a hexapod species resembling six legged elongated bears. Although capable of standing up on their rear four legs they prefer to stand upon all six for comfort if it is for a long period of time. They are generally solitary though are known to travel in-groups. There are fairly skilled combatants and have some working knowledge of magic. Ilema are usually well experienced travelers and can be found wandering nearly anywhere in the world.

R'SHE (feline humanoid)
R'she have no ancestral links to the Jinn whatsoever. Which is part of their mystery. No one knows where they came from for sure. It is believed that they are magically created race that never fulfilled its purpose. What is known is that the R'she are highly adept at being sorcerers. They have no known culture and are drawn towards one another when the need for mating arises. They are not particularly known for their fighting prowess and said to be highly shy creatures when confronted by beings they do not know. R'she have slightly heightened senses.

OTAN (aardvark humanoid, farmers, and ecologists, non-aggressive)-
Resembling aardvarks in appearance with their long snouts and large eyes and ears few species take the Otan seriously. Even with their pacifist ways the Otan are not to be taken likely. They are well versed in the ways of magic and are not unwilling to defend themselves when pressured. Although not naturally endowed towards combat they are capable as well as having highly acute senses.

Now here's the game system values:

HUMAN
Humans have free skills.

JAHNA
Jahna begin character creation with a 2 in AWARE.

TRINO
Trino begin character creation with a +3 in DEX and a +2 in SPD.

Kalaran
Kalaran start at -2 Body and +1 INT.

Kaladan
Kaladan start with a +3 to BODY and a +1 to DEX. Those that use sorcery have a +1 in WILL.

Kalantai
Kalantai begin with +2 to AWARE and a +3 in WILL, but have a -2 in END.

JINN
Jinn begin character creation with a 3 in DEX and 1 in SPD.

GOLAN
Golan begin character creation with a +3 to BODY and a +2 to END.

PLACTOID-
Plactoids have a transformation pool based upon their BODY to regulate transformations to show how often they can change before needing to eat and rest.

Vailon begin character creation with a -1 in END, and a -1 in SPD. But they do begin with a +2 in AWARE and a +1 in WILL.

The Hive Mind

Isolates
Isolates begin character creation with a +2 to WILL but a -1 to INT.

Traka
Traka begin character creation with a -2 in SPD, but gain a +2 to END and natural 2d10 armor.

BASKAN
Baskan start character creation with a -2 in DEX and a -2 in SPD but have a 2 in INT.

Slavantra gain a 2 in INT and a 2 in WILL to begin character creation.

Skreel have 2d10 blade like portions on their primary arms and receive a +2 in AWARE and MECH but receive a -2 in END.

NASKO
Nasko begin character creation with a -2 in WILL.

MILEIN
Milein begin character creation with a +4 in BODY, but a -3 in SPD and a -1 in DEX.

EIKO
Eiko start with a +4 in DEX.

KREE
Kree have projections along their arms that can act as weapons doing 3d10 of damage. They begin character creation with a -2 in END, but have a +2 to AWARE and SPD.

ILEMA
Ilema gain a +3 in END and AWARE but have a -2 in SPD and DEX when beginning character creation.

R'SHE
R'she begin character creation with a +3 in WILL and a +1 to AWARE.

OTAN
Otan begin character creation with a +3 in AWARE and WILL but have a -2 in SPD.

Now the link between the description and game system values is through the name of the race. This arrangement makes it far easier to compare each race's game system values, and to see what the real difference is between each race. It also aids in writing and to keep game system writing consistent.

I hope that helps!
Andrew Martin

Sylus Thane

Thanks Andrew,
I appreciate the explanation. I can easily see what you mean now. I will definitly keep it in mind when expanding the write ups for each of the species, unfortunately I posted what i had written down on my computer that wasn't random notes and random thoughts floating through my head. Thanks for the heads up.

Sylus

Demonspahn

Another thing Sylus, if you haven't read Ron's http://www.indie-rpgs.com/article.php?num=10>Fantasy Heartbreakers article, you should.  It outlines several pitfalls you might want to be aware of.

Pete

Emily Care

Quote from: DemonspahnAnother thing Sylus, if you haven't read Ron's http://www.indie-rpgs.com/article.php?num=10>Fantasy Heartbreakers article, you should.

Thanks for posting that link, Pete. It relates perfectly to Sylus' game and I hadn't seen it yet, so I'm grateful to have been pointed that way.

Sylus,

As others have commented, excellent races.  I am impressed with the number of them, and the fact that you were able to craft some fresh races, and give good spins on standards.  Thanks for sharing them.

From the introduction and the name "Frontiers" it sounds like you intend for the game to be focused on adventure and exploration of the world and setting, and perhaps character. My remarks are all based on that assumption.  

The wealth of races will enhance the aspect of always finding something new right around the corner.  Ron's essay speaks directly to your game.  D&D casts a long shadow, and there are many other ways of exploring setting & character that don't fall into it's limitations.  Many different ways to approach a game, and many different kinds of mechanics.  

Some things that I would be very interested in if I was playing or gming a campaign of your game would be how do all the different races fit together. Geographically, and economically, politically and regarding religion.  This is probably a no-brainer, but all of those threads help generate plot. They also give the world a pulse that transforms it from random background color to elements that matter.

I'll be curious to see what kind of game you want it to be!
Good luck!

--Emily Care
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Sylus Thane

Emily,
Actually your right on the money with your assessment. The settings for Frontier I'm designing are purposefully going to be made to give a setting that is detailed enough for a gm and players to get a feel for the world and having plenty of oppertunities for adventure if the blank for ideas. But I also want to still leave them vague enough in order for gm's and players to easily expand and incorporate their own ideas.

As for the species, yeah I fully intend in putting as much detail on them as possible like geography and politics as well as their interactions with other races. I definitly want these also to be as detailed as possible but not have them so static that people can't expand on them with their own ideas. I know it's a pretty large project to undertake but I think it will be worth it in the end. If any of you have any ideas that were sparked by the species descriptions please do share them. I'm always interested in peoples first impressions and the ideas that come from them.

Sylus

Christoffer Lernö

Then again, as has been discussed before: putting a lot of time into geography and politics might actually prevent people from easily playing your game because they fix too much.

Ultimately it's about how you envision the game to be played. So maybe this is a proper time to ask: How do you imagine it to be played? What are the characters suppsed to do? What does your average adventure look like?
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

Sylus Thane

QuoteUltimately it's about how you envision the game to be played. So maybe this is a proper time to ask: How do you imagine it to be played? What are the characters suppsed to do? What does your average adventure look like?

I'd like to think of it being being varying levels of adventure. There will be multiple options for characters, either searching for abandoned ancient cities, or building up their own territories. Or they can play with the lure and seduction of magic. There should be any number of things people should be able to do. So far the average adventure I have run it is has looked like this:

Player A is on a quest for an ancient city full of treasure.
Player B is full of desire and wants to establish their self as a power within the world.
Player C is just looking for the next adventure.
Player D isn't sure what they want to do, they just want off the farm.

B has decided to help A as it may further his goals. C is along for the ride and D has been swept up in a chain of events that may change his whole life.

My suggestion would be (and this will also be in the book) that the players discuss together and with the gm what type of game they are in the mood for before they all start. The setting is flexible enough for any type of play, from a grand campaign to just a night of silliness at the local pub.

QuoteSome things that I would be very interested in if I was playing or gming a campaign of your game would be how do all the different races fit together. Geographically, and economically, politically and regarding religion. This is probably a no-brainer, but all of those threads help generate plot. They also give the world a pulse that transforms it from random background color to elements that matter.

Emily here is a recent example of one of the human culture writeups as it stands now. There will be some other things that still need added in but it should give you a good hint of how they will read. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HUMAN-
Although there are many cultures of humans throughout the world of Phoryan only a few of the more largely populated ones will be discussed here. Although many of the species receive bonuses in the way of STATS you will notice that humans do not. Instead they receive cultural bonuses in the form of free skills to show a humans diversity and ability to adapt to their surroundings.

Tyrran Horse Tribes- The freedom of the open plain and the wind in their face is the greatest pleasure of any Tyrran. Their tribes traverse the plains year round, trading as they go. They ask nothing of anyone, except to be left free to travel where the wind takes them. Renown throughout the world for their prize warhorses, and their skill on them, little does a Tyrran need that he can not find on the plain. Their great pavilions can be found throughout the land, everywhere from outside cities trading wares from their travels to rivers along the Horse Plains, their drums echoing for miles. Although sometimes considered prey individually, few but the greatest of fools would consider challenging the might of the tribes combined.

Appearance- Tyrrans are tall and lean with a golden brown tint to their skin. Their hair ranges from dark auburn to a dirty blonde. Brown and black hair is rare but not unheard of. Average height for males is around 6’3” with females averaging around 5’10”. Their clothes are made of a mixture of leather, wool, and some cotton.

Culture- Tyrrans live for the moment for they never know when there will not be another day. Chiefs’ rule their tribes with a council of respected tribe’s members who give their advice based off their wealth of life experiences. A Chief is chosen by a tribal consensus out of responsible candidates that the tribe feels that may lead them on to further prosperity. The Tyrran practice for war through the use of games designed to hone their combat skills. These games are friendly, but can often be dangerous. Lively betting can be expected before each race. Races are also often used to settle disputes between tribe members or between tribes.

Cultural Skills- Horsemanship-4, Survival-3, Trading-1, Gambling-1, Archery-2

Lemme know what you guys think.

Sylus