News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Some other niggly little questions

Started by hyphz, November 10, 2002, 08:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyphz

Thanks for everyone's help here.. I just was wondering about a few other things:

- On the Master Screen, which three sheets are supposed to face the players?

- When both fighters drop Red, they both assign their dice, then the Reflex winner attacks.  Do any CP penalties that arise as a result of the Reflex winner's action apply immediately to the opponent's attack?  Can inflicted Shock drain away the dice that were allocated to the Reflex loser's attack, thus causing the attack to abort?

- Claws and talons inflict damage "on the deflecting limb", how do you know which limb that was?

- When somebody is knocked down, what effect does that have?  Giving the opponent higher ground advantace?  What maneuver is used to stand up again?

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: hyphzOn the Master Screen, which three sheets are supposed to face the players?

IMO the title, page 2 and page 5, but YMMV.

Quote from: hyphzWhen both fighters drop Red, they both assign their dice, then the Reflex winner attacks.  Do any CP penalties that arise as a result of the Reflex winner's action apply immediately to the opponent's attack?  Can inflicted Shock drain away the dice that were allocated to the Reflex loser's attack, thus causing the attack to abort?

Yup, shock dice are subtracted right away. They come out of CP first, but when that's empty they come out of dice assigned to attack. I don;t have a page reference for you, but i'm sure that's right (or I have been doing it wrong for a long time *grin*).

Quote from: hyphzClaws and talons inflict damage "on the deflecting limb", how do you know which limb that was?

Whichever arm doesn't have a weapon in it I guess?

Quote from: hyphzWhen somebody is knocked down, what effect does that have?  Giving the opponent higher ground advantace?  What maneuver is used to stand up again?

The damage tables say all pools are reduced to 1/3, the trip maneuver says 1/2. I use 1/2 personally. I have "house ruled" that getting up takes a single exchange, during which you can parry, block or evade but not attack. Whatever you do you only have 1/2 dice until the end of the exchange (as long as you get up successfully) but if you evade or if you are hit while parrying or blocking then you didn't get up and have to try again next exchange. Getting knocked down sucks.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

hyphz

Thanks for your reply, one other little thing:  sometimes dice are lost from "the Sorcery Pool" for things other than casting a spell.  Which of the three Sorcery Pools (Pool for 1, Pool for 3, Pool for Ritual) does this refer to, or does it mean all of them?  Likewise, after an hour or so, one dice gets recharged - can this go in any of the three Pools or does it go into all of them?  

Also, can the extra month age given by Mana 1 be resisted?  The way it's written suggests that it can't, but doesn't explicitly say so.

Mokkurkalfe

Quote from: BrianL
Quote from: hyphzWhen somebody is knocked down, what effect does that have?  Giving the opponent higher ground advantace?  What maneuver is used to stand up again?

The damage tables say all pools are reduced to 1/3, the trip maneuver says 1/2. I use 1/2 personally. I have "house ruled" that getting up takes a single exchange, during which you can parry, block or evade but not attack. Whatever you do you only have 1/2 dice until the end of the exchange (as long as you get up successfully) but if you evade or if you are hit while parrying or blocking then you didn't get up and have to try again next exchange. Getting knocked down sucks.

Brian.

Personally, I ruled that the 2/3 penalty is used when you fall because of damage while the 1/2 penalty is used if you are tripped or stumble. Kinda makes sense given where the penalties are in the book. Also, you'll probably lose more momentum if you fall because of wounds than if you stumble or are tripped(i.e. you're even more prone). A guy who's tripped has an easier time to "bounce up" again than someone who's collapsed due to wounds.
Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

Great house rule BTW. I'll blatantly steal it. ;-)
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jake Norwood

Quote from: hyphzThanks for your reply, one other little thing:  sometimes dice are lost from "the Sorcery Pool" for things other than casting a spell.  Which of the three Sorcery Pools (Pool for 1, Pool for 3, Pool for Ritual) does this refer to, or does it mean all of them?  Likewise, after an hour or so, one dice gets recharged - can this go in any of the three Pools or does it go into all of them?  

Also, can the extra month age given by Mana 1 be resisted?  The way it's written suggests that it can't, but doesn't explicitly say so.

Only the first one is the "pool." You simply get bonus dice when casting the other spells. Thus if you have a pool of 12, and get a +4 bonus for Spells of 3 and a +8 bonus for Spells of Many you can spend 8 dice in casting a spell of one, then a few minutes later use 6 dice on a spell of 3, and then use 9 dice in casting a ritual spell, and then cast another ritual spell with 9 dice again, or a spell of 3 with 7 dice, or a spell of one with one die.

None of the "mana" spell aging can be resisted. Call it residual balance, if you want.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lyrax

Quote from: hyphzClaws and talons inflict damage "on the deflecting limb", how do you know which limb that was?

No, it's whichever limb the blocking person blocked with.  It's really simple.  If I block a greatsword with the claws in my right hand, my right limb will probably be shattered.

Thrusts, OTOH, are a different story.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Lyrax

No, it's whichever limb the blocking person blocked with.  It's really simple.  If I block a greatsword with the claws in my right hand, my right limb will probably be shattered.

Thrusts, OTOH, are a different story.

My point exactly, if you read it. If I'm going to use an arm to deflect an attack, it's going to the the one not holding my weapon.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Lyrax

Ah, but if have no weapon other than claws or talons... I believe that is the situation referred to.
Lance Meibos

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: LyraxAh, but if have no weapon other than claws or talons... I believe that is the situation referred to.

No, it's referring to being attacked by claws or talons, otherwise it doesn't make sense.

It's irrelevant anyway. You'll be attacked by several animals, two will use Baiting attacks to drain your CP, a third will do a Take Down to drag you to the ground, and the fourth will rip out your throat with no chance of you having any CP left to deflect him with, so your limb doesn't enter into it.

Well, that'll happen after your Seneschal reads Chapter Two of "Of Beasts and Men" anyway :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Lyrax

What do you mean, it doesn't make sense?  If you block a greatsword's arc with your Talons, you take damage to the deflecting limb.  It's very simple.  If you block with your hand, leg, claws or talons any non-thrust attack, it hits whatever limb tried to deflect it.  It's not that the talons do damage to one's limbs every time they are blocked, but that the limb with the talons on it takes damage if the owner of that limb tries to block/parry a cut with nothing but talons/claws/hands/legs.
Lance Meibos

Lance D. Allen

It means that if you block a talon attack with a limb, it does damage to the limb, same as if you block any other weapon with a limb.

As for which limb is damaged, it's whichever one was used to deflect or block, obviously.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: WolfenIt means that if you block a talon attack with a limb, it does damage to the limb, same as if you block any other weapon with a limb.

As for which limb is damaged, it's whichever one was used to deflect or block, obviously.

Thank you. I wasn't sure how I could make myself any clearer :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Jaif

FWIW,

I bounce between 1/2 & 2/3 based on the situation.  It honestly doesn't matter much when the target is knocked down forcibly in combat: they're probably dead in a second anyway.

I handle getting up in one of 2 ways:

1) If you succeed at a full evade, you get up.  This is the person rolling around on the ground and getting lucky.

2) A terrain roll, looking for how slippery and crowded things are to determine how tough the roll is.

-Jeff

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jaif2) A terrain roll, looking for how slippery and crowded things are to determine how tough the roll is.

Actually, I like that better than how I was doing it. I can sense a change to my house rule coming :-)

So, half die pool, a terrain roll to get up, AND you can only evade, parry or block while you're doing it.

Nice.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com