News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wuxia TROS

Started by Shadeling, January 23, 2003, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

Ok, so tell me if this is a lame idea or not. How about a wuxia style game using TROS rules. Movies like Swordman and Crouching Tiger...they have cool fighting manuvers and what not. I think it can fit-just would need some tuning for cinnematic displays (sorcery without aging). SAs totally fit too. At any rate, it was an idea that flew across my tired brain.
Let me know what you all think, and any suggestions/ideas/comments you have.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

Sounds good to me. What tweaks were you thinking?

Oh, and as a side-note, the answer to "less lethal combat" is *not* less damage, but damage less often.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

maybe integrate sorcery into physical actions more...to allow the wire action. I was also thinking, maybe allowing stunts in combat using CP dice.

I still don't know how I would work it all out-just a bunch of fleeting thoughts at the moment.

Jake Norwood

Quote from: ShadelingI was also thinking, maybe allowing stunts in combat using CP dice.

This was actually always intended by the system originally, but I got so wrapped up in "realism" that I left it out. I'd love to see it make a re-appearance of sorts.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Well now I have a project :)

Shadeling

One thing-terrain may have a lesser affect in a wuxia game...just thinking.

Shadeling

I think Knockdown rolls will become Knockback rolls.

Henry Fitch

Things like flying around and jumping huge distances should definitely not fall under Sorcery. Lots of warriors do these in the movies who definitely are not Sorcerers. I'd make it a sortof one-upsmanship thing: I'm flying around this impressively, now you've gotta match it or you'll take a terrain disadvantage. Or you can try to do better, and stick me with the disadvantage. Sortof like Range, actually.
formerly known as Winged Coyote

Shadeling

Quote from: Henry FitchThings like flying around and jumping huge distances should definitely not fall under Sorcery. Lots of warriors do these in the movies who definitely are not Sorcerers. I'd make it a sortof one-upsmanship thing: I'm flying around this impressively, now you've gotta match it or you'll take a terrain disadvantage. Or you can try to do better, and stick me with the disadvantage. Sortof like Range, actually.
]

Well like I said, it is just ideas. Yeah the wire movements shouldn't be sorcery-they are just part of the genre. So maybe stuff you can just do if you have the right skills (because not everyone can do it).

ShaneNINE

Have you taken a look at Exalted?
::: Shane

Ron Edwards

Hi Henry,

I think you have your game-logic kind of back-to-front, man. Don't think of the wuxia martial artist as a sorcerer - think of the real people using the sorcery rules to handle that stuff in the game. From the characters' POV, they're just using their "skills," but we use the dice/rules/Sorcerer Pools (modified of course) to work out what occurs.

Best,
Ron

Shadeling

Quote from: ShaneNINEHave you taken a look at Exalted?

Shane, this is the Riddle of Steel forum...hence why I said I was using Riddle of Steel. Sorry, I am not trying to be snippy toward you, just explaining myself.

I own and have run Exalted, and well IMHO, it does not satisfy my love of Wuxia one bit.

Shadeling

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Henry,

I think you have your game-logic kind of back-to-front, man. Don't think of the wuxia martial artist as a sorcerer - think of the real people using the sorcery rules to handle that stuff in the game. From the characters' POV, they're just using their "skills," but we use the dice/rules/Sorcerer Pools (modified of course) to work out what occurs.

Best,
Ron

Ron, you hit it on the head. Yeah, mechanics-wise, sorcery probably would work best...can we say Movement Vagary!

Thanks, your comment will keep me on the sorcery track for this.

Heavenlyrock

Shadeling-

I think you want to use Sorcery like you thought... there is a spell called Flight in the book if you don't remember :).  It used two vagaries "movement" and "summoning" and both were at 2... it also had the effects of Speed, Manerverability, Lift, and Magic (constant 1day/success) all at 2... it stated the sorcerer is capable of sustained flight.  They can make 90 degree turns in a single motion, and may take damage based on speed (shortened a little).  There is also another spell if that is not exactly what you want (more of a hover, high jump, or runing with the help of like trees), it is called Levitation.  It uses movement and summoning both at 1's and has the effects of Speed, Lift, and Magic (1 hour/success) all at 1's... it states, "the sorceror may float up to 10 yards off the ground and hover.  Horizontal movement may be accomplished by the exertion of force in the desired direction.  (the sorcer must push himself along...)".  So, with out a doubt, Tros can support what you are wanting... I hoped this helped :)... and if you already knew this well think of it as a reminder.

Heavenlyrock

shadeling-

oops, I forgot to mention that they are both Spells of Three.