News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Executive-Class Sorceror

Started by Rob MacDougall, February 08, 2003, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob MacDougall

Hello, all.

Somewhere at some time in this forum I am sure I read a discussion of playing Sorceror set in the world of big business and high finance with summoning, binding, etc. overlaid onto a world of cutthroat mergers and acquisitions. Gordon Gekko as Sorceror, that sort of thing.

Now I have some ideas myself along those lines, but I can't find my way back to that thread. I've tried searching all sorts of combinations of "sorceror" "business" "executive" "greed", and found some good discussions, but not the one I remember. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I will of course repay with my ideas, but I wanted to find the original discussion first so as not to reinvent the wheel.

thanks!
Rob

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Rob MacDougall
I will of course repay with my ideas, but I wanted to find the original discussion first so as not to reinvent the wheel.

thanks!
Rob

Check out the HELLBOUND supplement by Dav Harnish.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Bob McNamee

This thread has some interesting stuff....

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=4769&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Kind of Corporate Ladder climbers / Used Car Salesmanship

(Edited in- I knew I had seen this subject, but finding it took quite some time!)
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

clehrich

There was a series of Hellblazer comics in which the demons were trying to corner souls on the Hell market, and John Constantine screwed it all up with a (somewhat lame) bluff.  But the concept was good, and if taken into a Sorcerer world could definitely be used.  You might also take a look at some of the TV show Angel (at least, prior to last year), in which the evil law firm takes all this magic weirdness as ordinary business "sharp practice," particularly funny when dealing with vampires.
Chris Lehrich

Rob MacDougall

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Still haven't found the thread I thought I remembered (could I have imagined it?) but the juices are flowing. More to come...

Rob

Ron Edwards

Hi Rob,

Was it this one?
Hamlet I, iii, 78 - towards a Sorcerer scenario

That's my best guess, especially Henry Fitch's post.

Best,
Ron

Bryant

That's kind of surreal, Rob. I just finished Pattern Recognition (the new Gibson) and was thinking about Sorcerer as a way to do that sort of freelancer for big business thing.[/i]

Rob MacDougall

Bryant:

Damn, if it's not Unknown Armies road magic, the great Warren Zevon, or playing Charnel Gods, it's corporate Sorcerer. You and me have to stop sharing the same ideaspace!

Ron:

Yes! I believe that was it. Thanks! And thanks to all. As promised, I'll repay with my ideas, such as they are: I posted them in a new thread called Sorceror Incorporated.

Rob