News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fighting nets

Started by Darth Tang, February 12, 2003, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Tang

Still working on my application of RoS to the War Hammer world.

Now, the Goblins, among others, use nets. Good idea, think it'll prove interesting.

Problem is, how to apply the results?

The 'to hit' is no problem, but should there be levels of entanglement? One arm, both arms, etc?

What effect should entanglement have?

How should escaping from it be resolved?

This would be useful for Web spells and the like.

Any ideas?
The answer to the Riddle of Steel: use a bow. From behind a wall. While they're asleep. The Riddle of Steel is to stay out of reach.

Jake Norwood

Well, the obvious angle is CP loss, but how much?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

How about a CP loss like being prone?

How about ST check or attack of some kind requiring x successes or damage based on net quality?

Just some ideas.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Valamir

I would translate Wound Level into CP loss directly.

As to how to arrive at wound level.

I would probably calculate "Damage" the same way as any weapon only use Agility vs Agility instead of Strength vs Toughness.

One could also give the net the ability to "Grapple" so that it could be used to hold and throw also.

Also if the goblin nets are weighted like retari nets they'd be ideal for "hooking" also.

Mike Holmes

From our research nets were IRL, a poor weapon only used for dramatic effect (the Retaruis was the fisherman trying to catch the Myrmidons - fish). The retarius apparently spent most of his time running away so that he could get the net into play again. So, the question is, do you want a realistic version of the net in combat, or a fantasy dramatic version?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Darth Tang

Definately realistic.

However, the nets described in the Goblin entiries are not the Roman type; instead, this is a team effort:

two goblins with a tough cord net weighted around the hem with river stones, running up and throwing it like a cape.

The other team of several Goblins with clubs distract the target until the net hits, then swarm in and beat him unconscious.

That way, they get loot, dinner, and a show.
The answer to the Riddle of Steel: use a bow. From behind a wall. While they're asleep. The Riddle of Steel is to stay out of reach.

Valamir

With that description I'd definitely go with simple CP loss.  Defendable only by evasion or shield block?  Losing CP and then being double/treble teamed with fewer dice to split...even if gobs only have 3-4 dice in their pool this would make them dangerous.

Brian Leybourne

Quite an intersting thought. How about something like this then:

Several Goblins (or whatever) throw the net by pooling their MP. The target can use evasion or blocking (from his CP or if not in combat just from his Reflex I guess). His successes subtract from theirs and represent his getting closer to the edge of the net before it landed etc. Each remaining success of theirs reduces his CP on a one-for-one basis.

You could then allow them to do grapple attacks (using the net) to trip him up, wrap him heavier, etc, while the target could make grappling/evasion rolls to further free himself.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion