News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

what do you need from an RPG?

Started by Green, April 09, 2003, 07:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green

Currently, I am revising and expanding Kathanaksaya.  So far, most of the basics are covered.  Pretty much any experienced roleplayer can pick up the file and play it as written, but I am certain there are things I can do to make the game easier to grasp for new roleplayers or for roleplayers who do not have experience in playing RPGs in a dramatic medium.  I am not so confident in my perceptive abilities that I can honestly say that the game is ready.  

So, in the hopes of perhaps getting this distributed to more people, I think it is time for me to ask what players would need to play.  I'm speaking from a pragmatic standpoint, not a theoretical one.  What do you think you need to play this game?  What questions would you have, as a player or Narrator, when it came to the actual act of using this game and the system?  What concepts or ideas still seem vague?  Where do you see players having trouble understanding what it is they can or should do in a given situation?

As a side note, I would like to keep references to similar games to a minimum.  Not only does it have the potential to erupt into a copyright dispute, but I would also like to entertain the delusion, just for a little while, that my idea is unique.

Spooky Fanboy

My central question: since the Gm and the players are cooperating on the story, I'm not sure I saw in the main document just how many points the GM gets to use when creating obstacles for our players. Too much and the GM could snuff the players pretty quickly. Too little and the game is not challenging enough. What's a good balance?

Also on that note, I wonder if maybe the examples point out the need for a character to regain some points during play, as opposed to waiting until the end of the session.

Just some questions.
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

Ron Edwards

OK, things got really confusing what with the RPG Theory thread warping into a Design one, and the thread title, and all.

If people could take discussion of the game into this thread, that'll keep things sort of sensible. Sorry about all the confusion.

Best,
Ron