News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I want a hardcopy of Trollbabe

Started by ethan_greer, April 10, 2003, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan_greer

I like Trollbabe, and I wanna give it a good print treatment for use at my table.

Ron, or anybody, any recommendations?  It's a 45 page PDF, 8.5x11 sheets.  What's a good way to go?  Coil bound?  Staple?  Perfect binding for a book that small is probably out of the question.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

For the hard copies I sold at GenCon last year, I printed it up double-sided with a couple of blanks thrown in at strategic points, on pretty nice white paper, including a color cover. I then used a clear plastic front and a black plastic back, and coil-bound it.

Works great - the single remaining copy from GenCon rides around with me a lot in the carry-bag (a.k.a. man-purse) for me to peruse and consider new scenarios. It lies flat and stands up to some rough handling during transport and play.

Best,
Ron

Tundra

You know, Ron, for some of the products that aren't planned for market wide release, you might be able to get good POD setups for people who want a printed (kinda) version.  I'd stick with hardcover too, but then I'm a fan of keeping these products on my shelf forever.

ttfn - woody
[0] Darin "Woody" Eblom             | Phone (507) 645 - 2708  Fax 2711   |
  • President and CEO                |         Hot Games. Cool Folks           |
  • Tundra Sales Organization     |  http://www.tundra-sales-org.com   |

Ron Edwards

Hi Woody,

Way ahead of ya ... I'm thinking of going to hard-copy only with Trollbabe, and maybe even asking you if you would do fulfilment for a product that isn't aimed at store distribution.

Best,
Ron

Tundra

Can do.  Direct only works fine, but you'll only need me if you print stock rather than print to order.

ttfn - woody

Blake Hutchins

Hell, sign me up.  I'd shell out for the hardcover version.

Best,

Blake

Fabrice G.

Just to let you know that a hardcover trollbabe has potential...

What Blake said.

Take care,

Fabrice.

Wulf

I'll buy that!

...and for more than a dollar, you'll be happy to hear...

Wulf

ethan_greer

Sign me the hell up for a seat on the bandwagon...!

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Woody, I think we're making music together, because I was thinking about a short-print run of some kind, 300 copies or something like that - kind of one-step-up from Kinko's Special. James V. West seems to have worked out a good arrangement with his printer for The Questing Beast, and if it flies for him, I'll just walk in his footsteps.

In other words, not POD. So ... h'm ....

Best,
Ron

Tundra

Ron Edwards

This question's for Trollbabe fans ...

I have a serious ethics problem with charging PDF-customers full price for a print version of the same game, even with revisions.

The hard copy of Trollbabe would have a bevy of new illustrations, more scenario and in-play examples, and one possible significant rules-change (the Social roll, as discussed in Actual Play). I don't think much else would change - most of the text stays, same cover, etc.

So if the book was ... um, $18 or $20, how badly am I screwing people by simply charging that for everyone, case closed?

Would splitting the difference be all right? Such that $5 off the book price is granted to previous customers? Or ...?

All comments are welcome.

Best,
Ron

Fabrice G.

Ron,

since you asked...

I baught Trollbabe maybe three to six days ago, printed it, bound it, etc.

Still, I really love to have actual books, and so far the quality value of what I got from Adept Press (a.k.a. you) is really high.

So, yeah, I would appreciate a discount price for the pdf buyers. How much ? Well, I dunno, but 5-8 $ looks like a good deal to me.

Take care,

Fabrice.

ethan_greer

Quote from: Ron EdwardsI have a serious ethics problem with charging PDF-customers full price for a print version of the same game, even with revisions.
Um... Why?  The way I see it, it really is a new product.  It may be the same game, but D&D 3.5 will be the "same game" as well.  I don't expect I'll be able to show WOTC my 3E books and get a discount off of the new books.  Why should Trollbabe be any different?  Is it going to cost you less to make my copy of the book vs. someone's copy who didn't buy the PDF?

However, if it bugs you that much, I wouldn't turn down a $5 discount on the hardcopy. :)

Ron Edwards

Hi Ethan,

It's always difficult to explain one's ethics. For my money, the very existence of D&D 3.5 is a fucked thing, and I won't pay full price for it under any circumstances, no matter how good the game is. Same goes for (e.g.) Mage 2nd edition back in the mid-90s, or especially that prime example, the Star Wars D20 rewrites. All of these indicate, to me, publishers that are picking their customers' pockets.

I'm not sure if that explains anything, but I hope it clarifies my position a little.

If I do go with Trollbabe book-form, then I'm learning toward a $5 price-break for previous PDF customers. Please note that this is not, and should never be referred to, as a "discount."

Best,
Ron