News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Distressed Design PDF

Started by philreed, April 15, 2003, 07:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philreed

This was the best place I could think of for this.

http://www.philipjreed.com/images/distresseddesign.pdf

This is a 7 page PDF that shows how I create graphic elements for distressed design.

EDIT: If the people in charge feel this is something they'd like in the articles section of The Forge feel free to grab the PDF and place it there.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Jared A. Sorensen

Phil,

Thanks for this...very cool stuff.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

philreed

Quote from: Jared A. SorensenPhil,

Thanks for this...very cool stuff.

- J

Glad you liked it. I hope you can find some use for it.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Jason L Blair

Hey, Phil, have you ever thought of putting together a layout/design PDF? Hell, I'd love about thirty or forty more of these kind of tricks and techniques. I'd definitely drop some coin for this kind of stuff. As someone who has had to learn (and is still learning) layout, I find this invaluable.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Matt Snyder

Yeah, what Jason said. I was thinking the same thing, but figured no one would pay for it. Any interest in collaborators on such a project? Jason, you could contribute more than you know! I'd like to contribute, too, if people are interested.

The PDF is great, btw, Phil. Nice stuff.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

philreed

Thanks, guys. I'll think about creating a PDF with more.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

rpghost

Quote from: Jason L BlairHey, Phil, have you ever thought of putting together a layout/design PDF?

The ePublisher guide that is coming out this weekend (cross fingers) should have most of the basics for layout/design. If it doesn't cover enough and you want more theory, it's possible I can get Brett from DPG to help create such a PDF. But at least there are a lot of basic tips and do's and don'ts in the ePublisher book.

There is still time for some last minute input if you have some personal suggestions/tips you'd like to see shared.

James
http://www.rpgnow.com

Jason L Blair

Am I correct in assuming the PDF you're talking about, James, is focused more on the technical/utility side? I think that's a very good thing (since I've seen a lot of bloated PDFs on the market and I, for one, could stand to learn more about the PDF medium).

With Phil's PDF, however, I'm more interested in learning how to create certain aesthetic elements. The kind of book (PDF or otherwise) I'm really interested in would help me get from Concept ("Man, I really want the book to look like _this_.") to Execution ("Oh, so this is how I do a distressed box...").
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

philreed

Quote from: rpghost
Quote from: Jason L BlairHey, Phil, have you ever thought of putting together a layout/design PDF?

There is still time for some last minute input if you have some personal suggestions/tips you'd like to see shared.

James
http://www.rpgnow.com

This PDF was one of the things I was going to send you to add to yourPDF (either by adding the pages to the PDF or as another file in the zip file). I should have my computer working today. James, please e-mail me since one of the things I lost was all of my mail (and more projects than I expected).
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

rpghost

Actually the PDF I'm talking about is a general guide for helping a new publisher break into the ePublishing business. There is everything from how to structure your company to how to budget to how to deal with freelancers to great interent sources (like the Forge)... One of the chapters is on layout and design and in there I have some side-bars for creating smaller PDF files and the do's and don'ts.

Brett is a wiz at layout and he does our ezine as well. I've been chatting a bit with him about doing a more indepth trainer for PDF creation and layout.

Phil, I don't mind including things as extras, but I don't think the on you posted above fits directly into the book. THere are a lot of other support materials include in this (like a PDF Budget Worksheet and contract templates, so we could include that).

James

philreed

Quote from: rpghostPhil, I don't mind including things as extras, but I don't think the on you posted above fits directly into the book. THere are a lot of other support materials include in this (like a PDF Budget Worksheet and contract templates, so we could include that).

Feel free to add it to the other support files. And Ron, feel free to add it to the articles here on The Forge.

I just realized I didn't claim a copyright on it. Oh well. Not really a big deal.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com