News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Must-read/view Samurai stuff

Started by Jake Norwood, August 11, 2003, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Okay, so I'm compiling a list of "the essentials" for the Riddle of Japan or whatever I'm going to call the book that we're doing after TFOB and before SATF...

I've got lots of Kurosawa Movies, A Book of 5 Rings, and a slew of other stuff. My recent favorite is "Code of the Samurai" which is really a translation of the 17th century book "Bushido for Beginners," which may really be the best explanation of Bushido I've ever read.

Do any of you have some suggestions? My list is pretty large, and I'm pretty well read, but there's always stuff that slips through the cracks...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

6inTruder

Sword of Doom (movie, set around 1870)
Everyday Life in Traditional Japan, by Dunn (book, more for Tokugawa Japan though)
Hired Swords, by Karl Friday (who has another book wich is also good, but I can't find it right now)

um... I'll edit in more when I dig them out of the mess on my bed...

murazor

The movie "Seppuku" from 1962 (sometimes known as Harakiri).
A story about a pennyless ronin desperate to support his pregnant wife, it may be hard to find but it offers a valuable insight into the psychology and sociology of seppuku in the Tokugawa-era, as well as a few stunning swordfights (of the realistic kind).

And in case you've managed to avoid it; The manga "Lone Wolf and Cub". Less realistic (Ogami Itto single handedly cuts down half of the samurai in Japan in his quest for revenge), but filled with great cinematic art and rich portrayals of 17th century Japan.

GreatWolf

Well, it would stun me if you don't already know about this one, but the Hagakure is a worthwhile read on the topic.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

toli

In terms of other games, I've got a Runequest suppliment on Japan.  I think it is called Land of the Samurai.  It is quite well done I think.  (They also did a good Viking one).  I don't use it much.  If you would like to see it I can lend it to you...NT
NT

contracycle

I liked:

"Unbeaten Tracks in Japan - An Account of Travels in the Interior Inlcluding Visits to the Aborigines of Yezo and the Shrine of Nikko"
Isabella L. Bird 492508027x

Isabella Bird was something of an adventurous victorian lady traveler and this is her diary, pretty much, from visiting the north eastern district hinterland in 1878, and quite a gem of personal observation.  Part of its value is that much of this hinterland is essentially unchanged from hundreds of years previously.

"The Origins of Japans Medieval World - Courtiers, Clerics, Warriors and Peasants in the Fourteenth Century"  Jeffrey P. Mass 0804743797 It's an anthology of articles, and although earlier than your period but I'm think the medieval context of Japan is important for its later developement and the kinds of problems it felt itself to be addressing.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Bankuei

Movies, TV, anime, etc.

Yojimbo
Ran
Sword of Doom(I second the previous recommendation)
Hakkenden
Samurai X

Comics-

The Young Master(Larry Hamas rules!)
The Path
Lone Wolf and Cub(second recommendation)
Usagi Yojimbo(THE definitive Samurai comic)
Vagabond(Miyamoto Musashi!)
Legend of Kamui

Books

The Martial Artist's Book of 5 Rings(Stephen J Kaufman)
The Unfettered Mind (Takuan Soho)

Chris

Brian Leybourne

Hell, it's still a TROS Game. Absolutely essential reading is The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.

We've all heard of it, but how many of us have actually read it? I have, and it's bloody interesting. It's very very true when you hear that all the concepts in it are still applicable today (They're also applicable in Weyrth).

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

tralese

Have you seen the movie, the seven samurais?
It gives quite a good insight on the cultural aspects of samurais, peasants, and their interactions.
Tralese
"Work before you play, BUT PLAY!"

prophet118

im probably going to get booed out of here...

but...

tom cruise has a new movie coming out, it was in the previews at Pirates of the caribean (excellant movie by the way)...

its called "The Last Samurai"... it at least looks interesting.. heh

course... to catch typical gamers now, toss in some samurai jack
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

GreatWolf

Quote from: Brian LeybourneHell, it's still a TROS Game. Absolutely essential reading is The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.

We've all heard of it, but how many of us have actually read it? I have, and it's bloody interesting. It's very very true when you hear that all the concepts in it are still applicable today.

No kidding.  Once when I was reading it (geek that I am, I've read it several times), I realized that most of Vietnam ignored the basic principles laid down in the book.  It is mostly so common sense until you realize that most losing armies have ignored it.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: prophet118itom cruise has a new movie coming out, it was in the previews at Pirates of the caribean (excellant movie by the way)...

Ahem.. filmed in the wonderous landscape of New Zealand even, much like LoTR was (although they digitally added in Mt Fuji). Bloody nice scenery.

However, I wouldn't go about offering up films that you haven't seen as good source material... being a Tom Cruise film, I suspect that the scenery is going to be the only thing worth seeing it for. :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jake Norwood

Assume that I've seen every Kurosawa movie. 6 times. Some of these are new reccomendations, though, which is what I wanted.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

prophet118

Quote from: Brian Leybourne
Quote from: prophet118itom cruise has a new movie coming out, it was in the previews at Pirates of the caribean (excellant movie by the way)...

Ahem.. filmed in the wonderous landscape of New Zealand even, much like LoTR was (although they digitally added in Mt Fuji). Bloody nice scenery.

However, I wouldn't go about offering up films that you haven't seen as good source material... being a Tom Cruise film, I suspect that the scenery is going to be the only thing worth seeing it for. :-)

Brian.

ah,. but i didnt suggest that he/she go see it, or use it for source material, i merely said that tom cruise has a new movie c oming out that has to do with samurais, and that it looked interesting, dont jump to conclusion brian... i know, i know, this is a suggestion post, and perhaps i should see the film before i suggest it...but, thats just a blunder i guess

but again, i didnt say "OMG this spiff new movie is coming out thats right along the lines of what you wanted"......i just suggested that it MAY be worth seeing
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Draigh

What about Shogun?
It's been a long time since I've seen it though... I don't remember how relevant it would be.
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.