News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I wince as I type - Sorcerer for Harry Potter RPG

Started by Judd, September 15, 2003, 10:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

I am sure someone must have said this already but I haven't been watching the site as closely lately.  Anyway, here's my swing.

Humanity - Living up (or down) to the morals and traditions of your House.  When you hit zero the teachers have taken notice of your terrible behavior and you are expelled from Hogwarts.

Demons - Anything making demands on the student other than the school. Examples:  Familiars, Ghosts, Sprites, Parents, Siblings, He Who Shall Not Be Named, Teacher with a Chip on His Shoulder, or even a Demon.  

Cover - What school stereotype are you?  Examples: Teacher's Pet, Poor Kid, Orphan, Snob, Grinning Bully.

The Price - The Prices on pg. 32 of the main book work like charms.

Telltale - Something about you makes it difficult to fit in, even among other young Wizards.  Examples: Ratty Clothes, Scarred Forehead, Muggleborn.

I'd need to read all of the books before I went about doing descriptors and such.

It just seems like the only system that makes sense now...even Ars Magica doesn't feel right for Hogwarts.

Christopher Weeks

I'm not sure if this was just tongue in cheek, and shouldn't bear response, but my question applies to lots of settings and this just prompted me to ask it.

Quote from: Paka
Humanity - Living up (or down) to the morals and traditions of your House.

Demons - Anything making demands on the student other than the school.

Don't demons really have to be defined such that they are antithetical to Humanity?  I don't see any way to make that work given the definition of Humanity above.

Chris

Judd

Quote from: ChristopherI'm not sure if this was just tongue in cheek, and shouldn't bear response, but my question applies to lots of settings and this just prompted me to ask it.

Don't demons really have to be defined such that they are antithetical to Humanity?  I don't see any way to make that work given the definition of Humanity above.

Chris

I'd think Demons could be anything that has a Desire or a Need, making life difficult for the character but I could be very wrong.

I wrote it tongue in cheek but the more I think about it the more I kind of want to run it.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

There's a whiff of Sorcerer in Harry Potter, to be sure. It seems to reside, to me, in the fact that one can be Slytherin and still be anti-Voldemort. That's why Snapes seems to me to be the most important adult character, and why Harry continues to demonstrate Slytherin characteristics throughout each book (to his own consternation).

But Sorcerer wouldn't be my first choice to "play Hogwart's" in the traditional setting sense, based on the books. I don't see how Ron or Hermione are sorcerers in the terms of the game; it's all Harry.

The Buffy game seems like a better fit to me, in terms of structure and assumptions of play, and in terms of what seems to me to be a commitment to enjoyable pastiche.

Best,
Ron