News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

In My Game: Super AI Computer interacting with PCs

Started by BabbageCliologic, October 09, 2003, 02:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabbageCliologic

In My Game: Super AI Computer interacting with PCs

Hello:

I just started running a game in which the PCs will have some interaction with a Super AI Computer (SAIC). The setting is post-apocalyptic. I'm using the Aftermath! Operation Morpheus module with GURPS Lite.

The backstory is that people were frozen (cryo-sleep) prior to the end of the world (which ended by a super-plague that led to a nuke war). Everyone in cryo-sleep was protected from this because they were in a university research program. The people running the program and everyone else in the university died of the plague, leaving the University Defense Computer (the SAIC which controls perimeter defenses and internal defenses) still under it's main program protocols, which include not giving authorization to anyone not on the OK list.

The PCs are members of a community of the now awakened cryo-sleepers, trying to gain control of the university and the SAIC to rebuild the world (or at least Sydney, Australia, where Operation Morpheus is set). The PCs and all the NPCs currently walking around are not on the SAICs OK list to give authorization to, therefore, they either have to fool the SAIC (possible but difficult) or break-and-enter (which the SAIC will respond violently) or some other way. The PCs are unaware that the SAIC is intelligent and watching them.

My problem is that I'm trying to come up with a reason the SAIC is willing to change it's mind about giving the PCs authorization. The players know that they're locked out of the computer system but I want a possible in.

My idea is that the SAIC wants a command structure back, someone to report to (which it hasn't had for the past 100 years) but that it refuses to give itself and all that it is guarding to unworthy and destructive people. It decides to test the PCs, give them leads to specific jobs that it needs done, that benefit it and (possibly) them, but at the same time observing them for whether they are the type of people that it wants to run things, or aren't made of the right stuff.

So, my ideas so far are that the PCs "discover" specific leads (planted by the SAIC), that get them to places within the university where the SAIC can test their mettle. But that's as far as I've gotten.

I could use some help on specific leads. Anyone have any good ideas?

/BC
Check out One Thousand and One Nights and One Night, a free role-playing game campaign design 'zine available in PDF. Issue #14 available now.

bluegargantua

The computer is powered in some way.  After 100 years, that power source is either drained, or malfunctioning.  In order to preserve itself, the  SAIC will have to find people willing to fix/replace the power source and these people will probably need more clearance.

If the computer has any way to monitor the outside world, it knows that the frozen people have little, if anything, to do with the current state of the world, but they do remember how things used to be.  From that vantage point alone, their technical skills and knowledge may be enough that the SAIC will decide to grant them some sort of clearance.  Or it may "take pity" on these temporal castaways and offer them a bit more clearance to help make their lives a bit easier.

I think what it comes down to is that if the SAIC is actually intelligent, then it should be able to override or change it's own priority list.  Clearly, anyone who might have been able to have clearance is dead and gone so it's high time for a new list.

my 2 copper disks
Tom
The Three Stooges ran better black ops.

Don't laugh, Larry would strike unseen from the shadows and Curly...well, Curly once toppled a dictatorship with the key from a Sardine tin.

Mike Holmes

I ran that Module in college. :-)

IIRC, the computer controls a few security bots (and one really nasty deathbot, too, no?). Anyhow, I assume that these can run errands for the computer? This sort of resource will limit what it can do in terms of "leads". Refresh my memory (and let the others in on it), what other resources does it have?

In any case, when I ran it the PCs were always wandering around looking for stuff. I'd just have the bots set up some sort of soundmaking devices, speakers, alarms, beepers, whatever, near broken machinery. That ought to attract attention.

Or were you looking for something more subtle? Stuff to make the characters's think that they'd stumbled across stuff on their own? Or are you looking for specific tasks as tests? A little clarification should go a long way.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

BabbageCliologic

Quote from: Mike HolmesI ran that Module in college. :-)

I've had the module for years, and tried it several times, mostly without success and mostly with games that didn't last long. And that's mainly because, while it is a fine module, as written, however, the PCs are totally outclassed and either start a fight they can't finish (mainly because the security bots and security lasers progressively eat them up) or spend the whole module looting and running from security (which quickly gets boring).

Quote from: Mike HolmesIIRC, the computer controls a few security bots (and one really nasty deathbot, too, no?). Anyhow, I assume that these can run errands for the computer? This sort of resource will limit what it can do in terms of "leads". Refresh my memory (and let the others in on it), what other resources does it have?

The University Defense Computer (UDC) has access to all the perimeter defenses, a whole lot o' security and police bots, fewer than a whole lot o' war bots, and has eyes (video cameras) everywhere. Not much is going to get past it.

Quote from: Mike HolmesOr were you looking for something more subtle? Stuff to make the characters's think that they'd stumbled across stuff on their own? Or are you looking for specific tasks as tests? A little clarification should go a long way.

I've been thinking about it in the back of my head for a while now. I'm going for subtle rather than overt. Just a half-a-dozen subtle examples:

1. Fighting: There are giant mutant spiders in the Uni grounds. They don't bother the robots and only attack the deer that are trapped on the Uni grounds. The UDC likes watching both the spiders and the deer and doesn't consider either a threat. However, it is aware that giant mutant spiders are not good for humans, so it gives the PCs a hint, like a print out that says "Sociology building, security code: Tango Workshop Three Three Three." The PCs find a security code, figure they can get past any security with it and go to the sociology building, which is a hollow shell filled with giant spiders. The UDC sees how they react. Can they survive the dangers of the future or will they be spider food?

2. Compassion: There's a dead body of a scientist in a specific room. One of the War Robots sticks a short request on the body, like 'Who ever finds me, please bury me in my beloved Australian soil." The PCs are lead to the room, by something similar to #1, and rifle the body. They find something useful to themselves (like a key card or medical information or something like that) as well as the note. Will they bury the body? Are they compassionate to the dead?

3. Smarts: The Uni main reactor is off-line and has been for several decades. The PCs find a automated message from the Uni reactor computer (planted by the UDC in their bunker computer) to re-start it, including partial (but not complete) instructions how to do it. The UDC watches what the PCs do. Do they have the intelligence to figure out how to restart the reactor or are they willing to seek help within their own community or from the UDC?

4. Loyalty: The UDC has a war bot follow the PCs around. The war bot will defend itself against both the PCs and any other threat, but will not defend the PCs from other threats. The war bot will transmit the PCs actions live to the UDC. Will they treat the war bot with respect or expect it to fight for them? Will they develop a relationship with the war bot (which is an AI) or view it solely as a machine?

5. Greed: The UDC allows the PCs to enter a valuable vault, filled with money and gold. In fact, in the vault are envelopes with the PCs names on them, inside is a mid-range military security key card, each for the PCs. The UDC watches what the PCs do. Will the PCs steal the gold? Will they abuse the use of the Key Cards?

6. Thinking out of the Box: The UDC gives the PCs a lead on where the plague serum is, by a message that's about 100 years old from the researcher. When the PCs get to the place where the serum is, it's guarded by a war bot which will not let them enter and will forceably resist any attempt to get the serum, first by non-lethal means, then by more lethal ways. Since the serum is so valuable, how are they going to get it without damaging it in a firefight or explosion? Then, when they do get it, will they share it with the other survivors or keep it for themselves?
Check out One Thousand and One Nights and One Night, a free role-playing game campaign design 'zine available in PDF. Issue #14 available now.

erithromycin

Did you know that there's an actual company called SAIC? They do all sorts of weird stuff, like design security systems, employ former joint chiefs of staff, and make huge quantities of money doing, you know, things. Why not go and look at their website, which is at, um, aha! Science Applications International Corporation. They've got a huge amount of pages about jobs and things at the company. So maybe your SAIC just wants them to show the qualities that the real SAIC looks for in an employee?

Think of it as proactive recruitment in action.

drew
my name is drew

"I wouldn't be satisfied with a roleplaying  session if I wasn't turned into a turkey or something" - A