News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Crunchy Contests (rules variant) (split)

Started by simon_hibbs, October 12, 2003, 08:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon_hibbs

Ok, it's time for me to come clean o this one.

I don't have anything against the AP/extended contest system. I've payed games using it quite happily and would do again, and I'm prepared t defend it on it's own terms, however I don't actualy use it when I'm running my games.

I came up with a variant set of rules I called Crunchy Contests. it's not perfect, but I'm still workign on it and refining the concept. It basicaly works like this:

HeroQuest has four levels of success/failiure. The fourth is Complete Success/Complete Failiure. Crunchy Contests are predicated on the assumption that intermediate levels of success or failiure are cumiulative. This is similar to carryover from the HW heroquesting rules.

Each exchange takes the form of a simple contest. I you are defeated in one of them, you get setback points based on the level of defeat you suffered.

Marginal defeat = 1 setback
Minor Defeat = 2 setbacks
Major Defeat = 3 setbacks
Complete Defeat = 4 setbacks

If you suffer a total of 4 or more setbacks, you're out.

Each setback is specific in nature and tallied seperately. If you suffer 2 set
backs because that Lunar priestess got a Minor Sucess mindblasting you, you will suffer from the mindblast untill it either wears off or it is neutralised/healed by an appropriate ability. One more minor defeat and you're out.

There are some problems with the way it works at the moment, but I have used it for a while now and it's worked out ok for my game.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

dunlaing

Simon:

I've avoided reading about your crunchy contests because I like the way that HQ Extended Contests work just fine, so this is the first I'm seeing of them. I like it. Not for Extended Contests, but for Group Simple Contests. We had a Group Simple Contest this past Friday (attack by Gorps) and when someone went down early with a Marginal Defeat, I could just tell that he was having trouble dealing with the fact that he was out of it just because he was Hurt. Allowing the option of going on with the effects being cumulative would be pretty cool.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I wasn't intending to split off Simon's excellent post from HeroQuest Extended Contests ... but it struck me that for future reference, it would be very helpful to people coming to the forums for the first time.

So, Simon, I didn't split you for any punitive reason. It's a hope for future archives type thing. Or Lhankor Mhy obsessive-compulsion, I suppose.

Best,
Ron

MrWrong

Hi all

Simon let me put up a copy of Crunchy contests rules, up at the Eurolog site,

Check them out here http://www.eurolog.org/downloads/HQ/Crunchy_Contests.pdf

Not tried them myself, but they seemed like a very well reasoned and clear subset of rules.

Regards

;O)Newt

The Ring of HeroQuest Narrators

www.rhqn.com
Regards

;O)Newt

simon_hibbs

I must admit I am ambivalent about Crunchy Contests. I think they do some things very well, others not so well.

I need to re-write the rules as they're still not realy polished enough for someone else to pick up and run, IMHO. Unfortunately I'm not running a HQ game at the moment and have plenty else to do, so there's no motivation for me to do it at the moment.

No problem with splitting this thread off, it makes sense.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs