News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What'll Ya Give Me?

Started by Luke, October 24, 2003, 11:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

So Lollagazebo (in Raritan, NJ) is coming up in a few weeks.

Once again I have a dealer's table (split between myself and aaron from Nerdnyc )
We had a blast sharing space at ubercon.

I was just informed by the con organizer that our table has been moved from inside the dealer's hall to the entrance of the dealer's hall -- right across from the elevators that everyone needs to use to get anywhere. A sweeeet location.

I am planning on bringing my rack of Forge games and promoting them on my table. And, as far as I know, Michael S Miller will be at the con to run a Sorcerer game and to help promote the indie rpgs on my table.

So ignore the Forge East thread. Imagine that it never happened.

I've got your game on my table, I am willing to shlep it down there with me (in the snazzy display rack), and I am willing to push it. And Mike is willing to push it.

What would you consider a reasonable compensation for such exposure, shlepping, pushing and possible sales?

We had a few sales at Uber with just my divided attention. I think with Mike there we are going to clean up.

Would you buy Mike lunch? Would contribute to gas/car/table expenses? Would you give us free games?

How would you help us?

What'll ya give me?

Let's talk about it.

-luke

Paul Czege

Hey Luke,

Let's talk about it.

Okay, for purposes of conversation, how would you feel about one free copy of My Life with Master to keep, give away, or sell at full retail price (no discounted pricing) for every X number of copies you sell?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Luke

Ok, an interesting proposal. Theoretically it gives me cash and gets the game additional exposure.

On the other side, such an arrangement makes me work even harder for what I am already working hard to do.

This might work well with one or two authors' work, but with six or seven books I might be stuck with a lot extra stuff and a lot of extra work.

I am tempted to counter with, "I keep the proceeds of one sale per con." But this doesn't work either, since most games are just going to sell one copy per con (at best).

I was thinking with a "fee" structure that authors paid once to get the game on the table and didn't pay again until I sold through the stock. And my counter offer goes straight against that.

-L

Paul Czege

Hey Luke,

...I might be stuck with a lot extra stuff and a lot of extra work.

I wasn't thinking copies for the future. I was thinking the money from every Xth copy you sold would be yours (or you could choose to keep or give away every Xth copy if you wanted).

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Luke

ok, this is largely in line with what i was thinking as well.

still, i am nervous about such an arrangement as it allows authors to dump books on me with a "Good Luck!" and little other investment. (except for the books, of course).

I intended this to be a community effort, where I would be proxy for all who couldn't be at these cons. In place of your actual presence, I had hoped for a little commitment or contribution to getting the word out about the games.

Basing that committment on the price of the game sounds very reasonable, though.  Would it be the same if I requested the "buy-in" for getting onto the BW/Nerd table be the cost of one book upfront? This keeps you on the table until stock runs out.

I can be a little bit more liberal with stock now that I have a better idea of how many people are interested and the size of my own kit. So I could very easily take 6 digest or MLwM-sized games at one time and use that as my stock for multiple cons (covered under one buy-in cost).

-L

Lxndr

You could get paid beforehand.

You could charge "the retail price of one book, for each X number of books."
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Valamir

Well Luke, if you took the price of 1 copy in 5 (and then for every 5 copies after that), you're essentially taking 20%.  Which is pretty much the same as treating it like a consignment for which you get paid a 20% commission which I suggested awhile back.

Taking the payment up front makes alot of sense, which is why its often done in many commission and royalty based businesses where its called an advance.

Pretty standard arrangement actually.

I'd suggest taking the 20% advance on the first batch of 5 (equals cover price of 1 book) and then just taking 20% per unit per copy sold after that.

You get enough money up front to cover your initial expences, the publisher pays a reasonable amount of earnest money that makes them eager to help you succeed, but the over all cost is much less than going through any sort of distributor.

M. J. Young

Luke--

O.K., here's an interesting counter-offer to consider. I'm going to be at UNY-con in a couple weeks, and you're not. You've got a couple of my books stocked away; send me a couple of yours and I'll put them out wherever I'm able to put my own, and forward the proceeds to you if they sell. (I'd offer to demo it, but I'm going to be too busy possibly even to demo my game at this con, with three panels and considering asking them to add another event.)

For what it's worth, anyone who wants to talk about a similar arrangement who is actually going to be at a con with a place to show games (whether as a guest or as a vendor or in some similar capacity) can get in touch with me. I can get you books to display, if you want to do that. Be quick, though--I'm not sure whether I'll be anywhere between UNY-con and the spring session of Ubercon.

--M. J. Young