News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Trollbabe comics] Naked Sacrifice story

Started by James V. West, January 03, 2004, 10:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James V. West

Excellent work, Colin!

The current strip looks really sharp. I love the way digital art lets objects like the bat's eyes just POP right out of the darkness.

I wonder if this strip might benefit from having a spacer between panels? I don't know. The problem I'm seeing (which may have been mentioned before) is that the panels are all so dark I have to really take a second look to figure out where some of them are seperated -- and that's not a good thing for a comic. You never want your reader to be forced out of the story to figure out how to read it.

Did anyone else feel that way?

Unfortunately I missed the first of this story. But so far my favorite panel is the one where Rhetta is standing amid the sprawled figures of the cultists. Great shot. And the recent strip, middle panel also rocks.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I split the above post from Trollbabe comics: old story down, new story up.

I've looked at the current story on a number of different screens, and the art varies a lot depending on the browser and monitor. Colin used a lot of subtle grays, and on some screens, it all just becomes black, and on others, the depth within each panel, the folds in the cloaks, and so on all become easy to see.

Colin, when the story's over, it's all going up at your website, right? I'm pretty sure we can figure out some way to optimize its format for the widest variety of browsers possible, so the art can really shine.

Also, just so everyone knows, the current story is not over yet. There's still one more strip to go, to be posted on Monday.

James, you wrote,

Quoteso far my favorite panel is the one where Rhetta is standing amid the sprawled figures of the cultists.

Oh, like that's a surprise.

Best,
Ron

P.S. Retta's name has no "h" in it. A common error in forum posts, for some reason.

greyorm

Quote from: Ron Edwardsthe art varies a lot depending on the browser and monitor...I'm pretty sure we can figure out some way to optimize its format for the widest variety of browsers possible, so the art can really shine.
You may be able to tweak it a little, but not much. This is (to the consernation of webmasters and web-artists artists everywhere) mostly an end-user problem, as it depends upon the viewer's monitor calibration, phospohors, model, and age.

I have the same problem with my art -- I'm no stranger to e-mails that state my art is "too dark" in terms of contrast, and when I increase the white level in it and repost, others complain it is then "too washed out."

Thus, I use Adobe's monitor calibration program to adjust my screen appearance to that of its print appearance; it is usually pretty close on my end.

Unfortunately, I've seen the same calibrations produce wildly varying output, however, even among professional print companies and even among their own physical printers (frex, an ad I did for a lakeside resort had a perfectly blue lake both on screen and in our printed proof, but came out a shade of purple in the magazine ad), so it is no guarantee.

The best advice is thus this: apologize to the end-users for it and instruct them on how to adjust their view settings to better see the work as created ("If this is too dark..." and "If this is too light..."). Correct monitor calibration by viewers can solve much of the problem.

Frex, Colin's strips look fine to me, with just the right amount of contrast. If I reset my monitor, however, returning it to the factory defaults, the strips appear too dark on screen (but not in print) until I recalibrate.

I know, it's a PITA for everyone, and I await the day of standardization with gleeful anticipation and prayer.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

James V. West

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Oh, like that's a surprise.

Oh yeah, heh. She's naked, ain't she?
P.S. Retta's name has no "h" in it. A common error in forum posts, for some reason.

You know, I should have known better. Hell, I lettered the first strip with her in it.

6inTruder

I just wanted to chime in a "Me too!" to the compliment hoarde.

^_^

Ron Edwards

And the story's all done now! Colin, feel free to post the whole thing at your website any time, and give us the link.

You all, uh, recognize the woman in the final strip, right?

Best,
Ron

Lxndr

I do.  Which is amazing, since I usually have trouble telling characters from panel to panel, nonetheless story to story.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Valamir

Question...Is that last strip a "meanwhile back at the ranch" moment where we are shown the rising spider cultists deplacing other cults...or are the monks on the ground the same ones that Retta beat up?

Ron Edwards

Hi Ralph,

Epilogue = "afterwards"

After Retta flies off with the bat-thing, Gwyneth and her little squad of swordsmen, all of them sporting spider amulets, arrive at the bat-temple to kick butt and to take names. However, all they find are the guys that Retta beat up.

Best,
Ron

Valamir

Thanks.  I do know what epilogue means ;-)

What made it confusing was the panel that showed the wall and gate.  Unless my memory fails me (and the earlier strips aren't there to check) we hadn't seen any compound for the bat guys so I wasn't certain if that was the same place.  Plus, she comments "I thought these guys were tough" and "we won" which could be interpreted as indicating her people just fought the guys.

All of which made for the possibility that the events of the last strip were occuring elsewhere simultaneously.  Which is why I asked.

Ron Edwards

Hi Ralph,

Not off the hook, you aren't!!

The panel backgrounds in two panels of the final strip are identical to those in the strip two weeks previous, which is still available.

Same backgrounds = same place

"Epilogue" = later

Does the happy meanie dance.

Best,
Ron

Valamir

eh...you're right.  There is a gate in the panel where Retta calls for the bat.  Must have missed it the first time, perhaps because it was dark and backgroundy.  Not the strongest of clues, and I prefer not having to play sleuth when I read comics, but I'll let you enjoy your dance :-)

Colin the Riot

Quote from: Valamireh...you're right.  There is a gate in the panel where Retta calls for the bat.  Must have missed it the first time, perhaps because it was dark and backgroundy.  Not the strongest of clues, and I prefer not having to play sleuth when I read comics, but I'll let you enjoy your dance :-)

So the door Retta walked out of being the exact door the spider cultists go in was a weak clue?  Just go ahead and trivialize my artistic choices why don't you? :)  

Thanks for the compliments everyone.  As for the strips being too dark, I specifically used only the grey shades on the web-safe palette, unaware of the brightness issue.  

Also, the strip is up in its entirety at http://www.colintheriot.com/trollbabe so go back and check out the whole shebang if you like.
Colin Theriot,
a.k.a. Teh Clawring Crabe

Valamir

Heh...no offense Colin.  As Ron already knows my preference is to have the story put a little more on a silver platter.  I'd much rather each strip be 5 panels than 3 so there could be more information provided.  Matter of taste I expect.  I find explicit clues to be superior to subtle ones in most cases (unless there is a real story purpose to being subtle).

As an example, a big bat symbol on the door would probably have made the difference.  That way there'd be a way to tell "oh this is the bat place" even though I'd missed the fact that it matched the gate from 2 strips ago.  

Or a piece of dialog from one of the spider guys saying something to the nature of "someone's done our job for us"  

That sort of thing.  It just wasn't immediately obvious to my instant gratification mind that these particular cultists were the same ones or a different batch showing parallel action somewhere else.

Ron Edwards

Ralph,

All those kinds of "giveaway" dialogue clues were in fact suggested by Colin and vetoed by me.

Best,
Ron