News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Let's try it: a meeting in IRC

Started by chade0, January 11, 2004, 01:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chade0

Hi all,

Let's try to setup an IRC meeting. For those who do not remember how to use an IRC program (for example mIRC) and who do not know how to join #TRoS channel in MagicStar irc server, check this thread: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8860

Now, I suggest the following time&date:

Saturday, January 17, 2004, at 9:00 PM (GMT).

I tried to figure out a good enough moment in time for all countries (ie time zones) in the USA, Europe and Australia.

I haven't thought about any particular subject for the meeting but just test it and talk about whatever we wish.

I'll have to spend the week in the army (Finnish, not US army :-)) but I'll be back on friday.

Comments, ideas? Shall we try it?

chade

chade0

How did this come "sticky"? I have no idea =)

Bob Richter

While that would certainly possible, let me be the first naysayer by asking just what the point would be.

What would the point be?

Anything specific you want to discuss in massed group format?
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Ingenious

Bob, the point most likely would be to have a discussion in real-time, rather than in messages. Also it would be much more possible to have a debate in such a format.. since trying on here would result in topics with hundreds of postings in them. In so trying that on here, one might run out of space on a server quickly...
Also, it is much easier to message someone in real-time in an IRC channel privately, without it being in message form.. responses are instant and you can be chatting at the same time.

The only disadvantage of IRC is that it is in real-time, hence some people will not be able to attend regularly due to time zones and schedules and such.. which is where message boards excel.

Just my two cents on that.
-Ingenious

Lance D. Allen

Bob understands that, methinks.. But that doesn't make his question any less valid.

Yes, we can have a real-time discussion.. But about what? Are we going to get together and just BS about TRoS? Are we going to brainstorm about how to convert it to a new setting? Frankly, what's the point?

If it's simply to BS, that's fine. A lot of people like to BS back and forth, which is the reason for many of these threads. But a lot of people would prefer to discuss something specific, as this means more time in front of the computer, it may also mean scheduling.. and for some people, this isn't worthwhile simply to cuss and discuss.

I may be up for it even just to BS, but I'm thinking I have prior plans. I'll have to check to be sure.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: chade0Saturday, January 17, 2004, at 9:00 PM (GMT).

I tried to figure out a good enough moment in time for all countries (ie time zones) in the USA, Europe and Australia.

You thought that was a good time for Australia? That's anywhere from 2am Sunday in Western Australia to 6am Sunday in Eastern Australia... :-)

On the other hand, it's 9am in Auckland, which I can probably just handle :-)

Brian
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Ingenious

Bah GMT. I'm at -6GMT so that'd be like 3pm for me I think. Is that correct?

-Ingenious

Brian Leybourne

Yup, +/- an hour depending on daylight savings time or the lack of it in your locale.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

chade0

QuoteYou thought that was a good time for Australia? That's anywhere from 2am Sunday in Western Australia to 6am Sunday in Eastern Australia... :-)

On the other hand, it's 9am in Auckland, which I can probably just handle :-)

Ok, good to know =)...

Bob Richter

Dang it, Wolfen, stop answering for me. It's even worse when you're completely right. Leaves me with nothing to say in my own defense. :)

If we're to discuss something specific, I need to know ahead of time so I can collect my thoughts/notes/what-have-you on the subject.

If we're just going to be chatting, I might even show up, but I probably won't have much to say.

1PM usually isn't a problem for me.
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Lance D. Allen

Quote from: Bob RichterDang it, Wolfen, stop answering for me. It's even worse when you're completely right. Leaves me with nothing to say in my own defense. :)

Sorry, bad habit of mine.. Being completely right, that is. ::grins:: Nah, seriously though.. I do have a tendency to answer for other people if I think I know what they'd say. If anyone is ever offended by this, let me know and I'll try to stop.

Hm. I just remembered what plans I have.. Um.. Duh, TRoS? I might be able to pop in for a brief bit before the game gets started, but I think it unlikely. Hope the conversation is a good one, and perhaps someone can summarize salient points here on the boards.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Bob Richter

Speaking of TROS, are you still running online games on OpenRPG?

Lance D. Allen

Never actually managed to get one off the ground when I had time, and then I had no time. At current I'm running a game for my RL gaming group, though. I still have OpenRPG, but as I've changed computers, I don't have all the same functions and tools I'd built for TRoS. If I can ever catch Brandon or G online with some time, I can probably get 'em though.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

chade0

Hi!

It is now 9:00 AM (GMT), if I'm not mistaken. After 12 hours, join the #TRoS IRC channel.. :)

Jake Norwood

So GMT -6 hours is 3pm where I'm at...

Okay, I'll try to be there.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant