News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

how

Started by artofmagic, February 17, 2004, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artofmagic

Quote from: iago

At any rate, the basic idea here suggested that, since a character's flaws are often just as interesting if not more interesting than his capabilities, why not make it something the player has to buy, just like any "advantage"?

Interestingly, this perspective allows for a game world where a bumbling sidekick who is Clumsy, Slow-Witted, and a Trouble Magnet is "balanced" (dangerous word, I know!) with a hero who is Strong, Tough, and Brave -- in that they both have equivalent "story shares" to invest in each session.

Hope this came across as even vaguely coherent. :)

This... I ... cannot understand.

somebody mentioned about getting fudge points on aspects.

Nobilis I understand. You can get as many challenges as you like, and when ever they limit you somehow, you get Miracle points. (I guess fudge points work quite the same.)

But if you had to PAY for those challenges, I would wonder a lot.

I do not understand how to USE aspects.

You have an aspect "Weak Willed" and you get 4p of skills for a weak willed person. What ever those could be. Then you can use aspect points to reroll fudge dice when ever "Weak Willed" could help you. When ever that could be?

What about Magical affinity? what if I wanted a game with different powers with greatly different power levels. I need affinities for them also? Could Pattern have minimum Aspect level of 5 and Sorcery minimum aspect of one?

By the way, from MURPG I learned this idea that perhaps limited amount of aspects is a good idea, 6 - 9. Thisway we can make a character sheet with room for all aspects, and avoid characters who have 10 aspects, each at minimum level -> lacking focus.
Jack of all trades could have aspect 'Jack of All trades' for Jack fans.
New rpg system per season.

artofmagic

My idea of aspects is that you can have positive or negative aspects.

Positive aspect:
Strong, fair strength

Negative aspect:
Clumsy, fair clumsyness or mediocre agility, depending on taste.

On positive aspect
- 4p on skills that need strength

On negative aspect
- (-4p) on skills that hinder on clumsyness.
depending on taste if they are average 'doctors handwriting' or Poor writing.

And when you take a negative aspect, you get a free positive aspect.

Creators handle this very differently, but no examples given (that I find playable).

If I remember correctly, first FATE version was Diceless Amber and there was the negative aspect idea used.
New rpg system per season.

iago

I don't believe it's appropriate to continue to respond on this thread, as it's last active post before these most recent ones was over a year ago.  I've made my responses here:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=9829

Ron Edwards

Hello,

The above recent posts were split from Fate RPG. Further discussion should continue in the new thread begun by Fred (iago).

Everyone, please review the stickies in the Site Discussion forum about Forge posting etiquette and how to avoid resurrecting old threads.

This thread is now closed.

Best,
Ron