Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Story over

Started by Adams Tower, April 19, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adams Tower

[copied from google plus]

We finished up the Sorcerer campaign on Tuesday. I had thought the previous session would be the last session, with Dr. Chambers making up with his wife, and Allan imprisoning the child-eating demon in his basement, but during the course of events, they happened to save a kidnapped child from cultists but did not even bother to explain to the kid what was going on. So, when they dropped him off at the police station, he assumed they were his kidnappers, and we had to have one more session. I'm glad we did, because the final session gave Dr. Chambers a much more satisfying ending, in which he passed his demon on to a cultist, in exchange for the cultist taking the fall for kidnapping. Also, the child-eating demon escaped from Allan's basement, and Allan died in the fire, as he attempted to enact a banishing ritual involving burning down his house. That was a dramatic ending, if not a satisfying one.

I'm glad I ran Sorcerer, by the end I was really seeing how the system could work well, but honestly, I wouldn't be that interested in running it again, except maybe if I had an idea of two look and feel statements that would be perfect for it (like something Mawaru Penguindrum inspired). I really liked all the demonology oriented parts of the system, but I felt like the conflict system was unnecessarily convoluted for any of the conflicts that happened. It felt like overkill, something that could handle a really elaborate fight, but with a simpler orthogonal conflict, had a lot of complexity to worry about. One of my players liked the conflict system even less than I did.