Main Menu

[Circle of Hands] The lich

Started by Ron Edwards, June 09, 2014, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Here's Juan's lich, just before final rendition and inking:
http://adept-press.com/wordpress/wp-content/media/LICH02-2.jpg

This would be a merchant-lord in Spurr, reclusive in his (possibly her) residence and rarely seen except only by very old friends and occasional favored allies. Juan suggested that unlike other undead, liches retain sensation along the lines of a phantom limb, and always feel cold, hence the furs, and the flowers suggest a weird confluence among funeral sensibilities, courtesy to others based on its smell, and a desire to have genuine life around it.

Willow wants to know: if a player-character casts Lich on himself or herself, would that split the character into a lich controlled by the GM and a wraith controlled by the player?

Strangely, that sort of seems like the right choice. I think. What are your thoughts?

Nyhteg

Gosh, how did I miss this topic? :)

Great pic; and I love the phantom limb, retained sensation ideas.

Interesting question about Lich => NPC + Wraith
It certainly seems right in a game sense - why indeed would we want to be playing characters who aren't Circle Knights in this game..?

How come Knights become Wraiths when they die? Some aspect of their initiation to the Circle?
The reason for that could play into why PCs don't get to play Liches but NPCs do, perhaps?

G

Ron Edwards

Juan and I are finished with our critters now, and we're both kind of sad about it. He even did two or three more beyond our agreed-upon number, because he liked the setting and game so much. Let's see: wracker, draugr, spider-hag, doll, nzagg, silver dragon, valkyrie, manticore, and lich.

So, he's in Colombia and I'm in the U.S., the Chicago area. We'd work by Google hangout. He has this amazing tablet thing that he draws with, and which I can see on my screen as a canvas with the drawing appearing magically. He likes to chat about the creature and anything else, and as the conversation gets going, the drawing appears as his hands work pretty much on their own. The conversation focuses on some aspect of what he's drawing, or veers off into politics or whatever, and then back to the drawing. When it looks like a really good working-draft sketch, we sign off.

The process not only produces exciting art that's very faithful to the vision of the game, it also creates friendships. This was a great process and I really want to work with Juan some more.