[Circle of Hands] Where I've been

Started by Ron Edwards, August 21, 2014, 02:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Actually I've been a lot of places.

As far as Circle of Hands goes, several chapters are in layout and the art is only a few pieces shy of completion. I'm still behind on writing but proceeding quickly. Readers are welcome: send me an email and you can be a chapter reviewer, last-last-last minute.

On the plus side, today I finally figured out the best rules mechanics for smoking pot.
What?

I've had some really good experiences with the Inner Circle backers, great feedback, great suggestions. I'm finding it to be a real pleasure to write all the attributions from them and the playtesters straight into the text. It feels very personal and right-from-gamers, and I hope the first-time reader likes it.

I went to GenCon unexpectedly to arrange a neat business opportunity for Adept Press and have also started my D&D 4E game, both of which were and are pretty time-consuming. I barely have time to drop a plus and a one-liner at G+ at the moment, if I want to make progress on the Circle manuscript.

Anyway, look forward to a ton of posting in September once the intensity dies down and all three kids start school.

Judd

I'm glad to hear that CoH is moving along and can't wait to read your 4e AP.

Your kids are going into school? How is it possible that time has moved this quickly? Oy.

Ron Edwards

The kids begin their school term Monday, which means I'm still pretty snowed under until then. I have some fun 4E prep and play posts almost done so they should go up soon. And man! games from GenCon, ideas to refine, all sorts of things to talk about. My Runas Explosivas interview is now available (see the Adept interview page for the link) and more are on the way.

Kids age update: the twins turn seven in about four weeks, and their little brother turns five-and-a-half on the same day.

Ron Edwards

Whew ...

OK, it's almost all about the production now. I talked to all the Inner Circle backers, which yielded quite a bit of excellent help. My plans for the sword did not work out at all, and although I'll make one last try before I give up entirely, my concern of the moment is the book itself. I've talked with the printer, so they're standing by for a planned December printing and shipping extravaganza.

The writing was slowed during the summer because my kids didn't go to summer camp and I minded them almost every day. It was not stopped, though, and I did grind out a few chapters and kept tuning everything else. So at present, Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are finished! I am now working up the details for Chapter 7, which is all monsters and creatures, and the short accompanying prose for Chapters 8 (reprinting the Heartbreakers essays) and Chapter 9 (reprinting the original manuscript).

The finished chapters are in layout with preliminary designs already done. I have almost all the art including the Cover, awaiting two pieces each from two artists, and (like a crazy man) I just spotted another totally appropriate artist who might be willing to bust out a few more at short notice.

It's been an interesting and rather different process. I've experienced this project very much like semi-mystical sculpture, knowing that "it" is already in there and that I have to get rid of things which obscure it, and bring forward its actual strengths.

Best, Ron

John W

Thanks for the updates!  Looking forward to reading/hearing your AND Megan's accounts of your 4e game.
-J