[Sorcerer] My first post here and it's a gripe

Started by The Magus, October 30, 2014, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magus

Hi Ron

First of all I wanted to acknowledge how great the Annotated Sorcerer rulebook is.  It's really helped clarify some questions I still had and I'm now feeling much more confident to run a game.  I'm planning to run a 3 session mini-"campaign" over 3 days at a con in a couple of weeks and hope to post some actual play here. 

Another consequence of my renewed interest in the game is that my print copy is looking distinctly dog-eared and I wanted to order another copy.  I've found out that ordering through Publishers' Graphics will mean exorbitant delivery prices.  Delivery to the UK is $23.25 for a $25 book.  I was wondering whether you were aware of this?  With my previous orders from Adept Press I've been struck by the fairness of the delivery rates.  I joined the Sorcerer Kickstarter at the $25 level (plus $10 for delivery to the UK) and got 2 books for $35.

I appreciate that it's probably a lot less hassle for you to use a POD service.  However, I can order Spione for $22 from Lulu and $25 from Publishers' Graphics.  Lulu is a hell of a lot cheaper for delivery.

As you read this please imagine a sad puppy with highly dilated pupils.  I'd like to invoke sympathy.

Also, as an aside, do you still have any copies of the original rulebooks knocking around?

Thanks
Piers

Ron Edwards

Hi Piers! Thanks for the kind words and I look forward to hearing about the game. Check out the videos at the Kickstarter pledge page if you haven't already.

I especially like the idea of the book getting beaten up through reading and use. That might sound weird but this is an instrument, after all. Mint condition does no one any good.

Unfortunately the fairness of the previous delivery charges wasn't fair at all, and went far toward driving the company out of business. If it weren't for the $50 pledges, the Kickstarter would have put me a solid $10,000 into unrecoverable debt. No matter what, someone's going to pay that shipping cost, and neither I nor Publishers Graphics can do anything about the ruinous rates - they're not marking it up. From now on, the customer pays it.

The good news is that I did come up with a solution. The PDF you should have (and can re-download from the Bookshelf if you don't have the file) includes a print-ready version. No lie - you can take that to any suitable business and have them print and bind it for you exactly like a book; it won't be any different from what I'd be mailing you.

I know it seems odd, as if you weren't "really getting it," but seriously, it's the same file I have at the printer's and there's nothing they do at Publishers Graphics that an equivalent printer won't do in the UK.

The Magus

Thanks very much.  I'll do some searching for suitable POD places here.