News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Third Party Publisher designation and logo

Started by Mark, November 06, 2003, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quoted from http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8466 (...and moved to a more appropriate place, I hope.)

Quote from: Mike Holmes...this is probably Mark's little joke. As a means of introduction, Mark is not only the creative mind behind Creative Mountain games, but he's done stand-up as well. Hmmm, what does that say about d20? ;-).

:D  Nice touch.  Good to be here. :)

Quote from: Mike HolmesI met Mark at the opening of James' new store here in Milwaukee, and I hope he we can find a way to help him, and vice versa. He's got some nifty products (even for a non-d20 player like myself).

Are we bridging a gap that is too wide to cross? ;)

I suppose the distinction might be minor, but I have dropped the d20 logo and am proceeding with the OGL only.  I'm not comfortable with the new restrictions and lack of a cure period introduced in the most recent version of the d20 license.

I look forward to a continued exchange of ideas, though, and will try to frequent this forum more often.  :)

Quote from: Mike HolmesMark, on the Indie front, maybe you could post something in the Publishing forum on your "Third Party Publisher" license. With some links to other sites where it's been discussed if appropriate.

The Third Party Publisher designation and logo is not tied to a license, actually, but merely released as OGC.  It's a very simple concept that I am surprised hasn't been proffered previous to now.  After deciding that I was going to drop the d20 logo, I still wanted something to show that I was using the OGL.  I looked at other licenses being offered in other places and further decided that I wasn't interested in exchanging one set of restrictions for another.

More information can be found on my website (see sig) but please feel free to discuss, debate, or just ask questions that might come up.

Thanks! :)

Mike Holmes

I think that the difference between OGL and d20 is very important in terms of design and what you can do. I just tend to use d20 to refer to the system itself. Is there a better categorization that you use on ENworld? Something that covers all D&D, d20, OGL etc systems?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mark

Quote from: Mike HolmesI think that the difference between OGL and d20 is very important in terms of design and what you can do. I just tend to use d20 to refer to the system itself. Is there a better categorization that you use on ENworld? Something that covers all D&D, d20, OGL etc systems?

Mike

Not to my knowledge, which is really the crux of my effort...in a sense.  Perhaps to say "system that uses a d20 engine" might work, but even then you run up against folks who will cite alternate games that they will point out have no real relation to OGL products despite using a twenty-sided die for resolution.

For my part, I merely wanted to point to use of the OGL (which alows for character creation and advancement rules, unlike the d20 License).  There have been a number of releases that have those aspects and use only the OGL but made little to no effort to distinguish themselves as not using the d20 License right up until actual release...though I will not name names lest someone also claim I am assigning a motivation to that (possibly accidental) strategy.  There is definitely some advantage for a print publisher's release to being associated with the d20 License (even erroneously) and further cache to be had by actually having the logo on a printed product.

It's my feeling as an e-Publisher, and I've said this to you before, that I can sell just as few units without the d20 License as I can with it...and with far less grief and wrangling. ;)