Main Menu

Re: Universalis + PDQ + FATE

Started by Bill Burdick, February 25, 2008, 12:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Burdick

Here's an update:  this combination is really rocking right now.  We've been running this for several months and we've seen that Universalis DOES integrate very well with regular role playing games.  We've been bookending each session with Universalis -- usually starting with a cut-scene to introduce the story for the session and ending with the plot-hooks from conflicts in the FATE/PQD middle chunk.  Information transfers very well between Universalis and PDQ/FATE, because both PDQ and FATE are very qualitative (PDQ's scale is small enough that you can translate PDQ characters easily to Universalis; master qualities can just translate as 3x traits).

The players have really started to steer the plot around with Universalis, sometimes making major twists that we hadn't considered.  We've used veto power several times, but not very often.  It has actually served as a communication device, allowing us to stay within our plot arc without actually revealing it to the players.  So they have incredible creative control over the story, but we can still leverage all the work we put into designing the metastory.  One player has requested that we keep using Universalis for all of our future campaigns, so I'd call that a win.

Bill

Valamir

Bill, thanks for the update!

I think one of Uni's strengths is its ability to "ride-along-side" other games.

If you'd be interested in submitting an article on how you put it together, how its worked, and how Uni has contributed to the fun, I'd love to feature that on the website*

*Time constraints have prevented me from fully transitioning to my new Ramshead Site, and in the meantime the old site has been languishing.  But this might be motivation I need to get a move on.  Great stuff.

David Artman

Interesting timing: we were going to use Uni Tenets Phase to "world burn" for Burning Wheels, as we have just formed a newish group to try it out.

Of course, we had an individual who--shall we say--didn't quite grok Player Authority. He was there to catch the train, not design the carriage and plains over which is rolls. In addition, one individual's Tenet proposals might be very granular while another's shakes the world's foundation--i.e., we had trouble setting the value of a Coin. As such, it died in the womb, as a method, but in no way due to it being flawed (rather, due to stubbornness of player(s)).

It's good to see confirmation of what I already sensed (and, now, know): Uni is sufficiently modules to break out some mechanical systems and make use of them in inferior games that leave one floundering for initial premises...which is a LOT of them, as I am realizing, the more GMless games I play and the more I see how much of "trad" gaming is mired in a huge "do it all" GM burden.

This thread roxxor the boxxor (2 Coins).
David
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

Bill Burdick

I think the other GM and I can put something together for your site.  Sorry for the delay responding -- RL constraints have been heavy.

QuotePosted by: Valamir
Bill, thanks for the update!

I think one of Uni's strengths is its ability to "ride-along-side" other games.

If you'd be interested in submitting an article on how you put it together, how its worked, and how Uni has contributed to the fun, I'd love to feature that on the website*